Can a fighters skill diminish that much from one fight to the next? OSP

elbowsandwiches

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I lost money on the cummins vs OSP fight, I thought there was no way that osp could stop cummins takedowns. I was wrong. He stuffed cummins until he was so tired that OSP was able to explode more on the inside.
In his post fight interview OSP said that he concentrated on nothing but wrestling and takedown defense for cummins.

Then one fight later, he gets owned by a striker (Glover) and looks like he has never wrestled in his life. He stops arguably the best wrestler in the division and trains an entire camp for wrestling, and then seemingly one fight later can't defend a single leg takedown.

What happened here?

The threat of getting knocked out on the feet can do that some times.

Did his skills diminish or is it just that Glover and Cummins are two different people?

Poor strategy by OSP. He left himself pretty susceptible to being taken down against Glover. Probably due to worrying about Glover's boxing prowess, something he didn't need to be as concerned about with Cummins. Plus, Glover's wrestling ability is underestimated. The guy is quite a complete MMA fighter.

Glover is far from just a striker.

He's an accomplished grappler and has a decent wrestling base. Top control, subs, and gnp are some of the best parts of his game. He does prefer to strike more often nowadays though and has gone up against top wrestlers.

He wisely went back to his ground game against OSP after getting hurt.

A. Glover has shown in numerous fights that he has strong takedowns. He has gotten just about everyone he has fought down.

B. Glover is built like a brick shithouse. If you let him tie you up, he's gonna be hell to get off. That's exhausting.

C. Like you said, Glover has a striking skillset. Sure, it's rudimentary and predictable, but he hits like a truck. (Though, you completely ignored the fact Glover is a high level BB in BJJ.)

What happened was, unlike Cummins, Glover mixed his game up. He didn't rush in with predictable takedowns. He pressured OSP to the cage witht he threat of his power and from there got in on deep double legs. From there, he wore OSP out on the ground.

Glover is a grinder. And if you let him grind, he'll break you.

And lol at Pat Cummins being the "best wrestler in the division". How the FUCK did you come to that conclusion, when this is a division that has Cormier and Jones in it?

I don't think is skill level diminishing, it can be several factors.

1. Training camp...
2. Injuries..
3. Mind frame...

The most important one IMO is the fighter who your up against...styles make fights.

Glover>>>>Cumming

plus he build like an ox. he got that heavy hands and very durable. the man can take a lot of punishment and still be fine.

Did his skills diminish or is it just that Glover and Cummins are two different people?

..on different nights.

What I'm about to reveal is super secret knowledge here on sherdog:

Fighters are not robots. They can be in the zone one night and be off on the next one.

Class dismissed

80125-tom-cruise-confident-top-gun-g-5pBC.gif

..on different nights.

What I'm about to reveal is super secret knowledge here on sherdog:

Fighters are not robots. They can be in the zone one night and be off on the next one.

Class dismissed

80125-tom-cruise-confident-top-gun-g-5pBC.gif

i like your answer thus far

Different people, different fights, different time.

And you need to remember how good Teixeira is.

Sherdog posters think that fighters are arcade video game characters that fight the same way every time you put a quarter in.

Sherdog posters think that fighters are arcade video game characters that fight the same way every time you put a quarter in.

no, I'm just drawing attention to the huge difference between fights, it goes beyond that he was just off that night, his skills had completely vanished seemed like.

Glover took down Rampage with pretty much every attempt and is a high level grappler. Cummins has slow shots and doesn't set them up well... Glover will throw lethal strikes at you to move inside and then shoot while you're thinking about the hands.

different night,different fight

I think Glover watched the Mousasi fight and saw that Gegard took him down at will and dominated fight so if glover was in trouble standing or in an even fight - thst was there.

Back