Calzaghe's legacy V roy jones jnrs legacy

P

Peet Cassidy

here in the UK (or at least amongst people i used to train with and some ***goty two bob journalists) there are murmurs starting to circulate about how calzaghe has been a better fighter than roy jones junior over the years and how he would not only DESTROY him now, but he woulda beat him at any time.....

i know it is probably about 70% sure that joe would beat him now, and that calzaghe is not without his merits, but it breaks my heart to hear their legacys being compared as jones (alongside mike tyson) was my idol as a youngster and i regarded him as somewhat as a superman...and he was

what do you think, has calzaghe cemented his place as a legend and the best of his era, or has he inflated his record by feasting on a diet of bums and so so champions like ricky hatton did until he met floyd? (discounting the amazing the tszyu win) would he have met a similar fate as ricky did had he met roy or hopkins or toney 8 to 10 years ago??

it's hard to say really anything about either one's legacy because in terms of quality of opposition, niether of them fought some amazing list of opponents in his prime, both they've both been highly entertaining.

it's hard to say really anything about either one's legacy because in terms of quality of opposition, niether of them fought some amazing list of opponents in his prime, both they've both been highly entertaining.

i dunno, calzaghe's pitta patta slapping styles always annoyed me, yea he wins fights but i just dont like the way he does it, at least jones could fuck you up with a haymaker when he wanted to

Roy Jones has a much greater legacy. There is no argument that can be made about it. Roy beat much better compettion and moved from 154 to heavyweight to beat a top 5 heavyweight with a belt.

Roy is a top 25 fighter on the alltime list. Joe probably isn't top 100.

I'm not knocking Calzaghe. He's a good fighter, but take his most dominant performance(Lacy) and then realize that Roy did that and then some everytime out in his prime. There is really no comparison.

Roy Jones has a much greater legacy. There is no argument that can be made about it. Roy beat much better compettion and moved from 154 to heavyweight to beat a top 5 heavyweight with a belt.

Roy is a top 25 fighter on the alltime list. Joe probably isn't top 100.

yea the thing is tho, and im on roys side here.....calzaghe never got laid out the way jones did....until he does there is a valid argument there....hopefully hopkins will be the one to do it but i dont think so, i.m.o his counter punching style is perfect for calzaghe to slap him and run away for 12 rounds

I hate when fucking ppl say this. Roy moved up to HW! A 175 pounders moved to HW, and beat the guy who beat Holyfield. Like Roy said "Yall say I aint fight nobody, I just make em look like nobody" YALL MUSTA FORGOT!

Roy top 15 GOAT, gtfo if you dont agree

yea the thing is tho, and im on roys side here.....calzaghe never got laid out the way jones did....until he does there is a valid argument there....hopefully hopkins will be the one to do it but i dont think so, i.m.o his counter punching style is perfect for calzaghe to slap him and run away for 12 rounds

Roy's a speed based fighter that depended too heavily on his athletic advantages. Time caught him quick like it does all fighters that fight that way.

I hate when fucking ppl say this. Roy moved up to HW! A 175 pounders moved to HW, and beat the guy who beat Holyfield. Like Roy said "Yall say I aint fight nobody, I just make em look like nobody" YALL MUSTA FORGOT!

Roy top 15 GOAT, gtfo if you dont agree
what do you call mmath in boxing?

he beat john ruiz at heavyweight. john ruiz. john. ruiz.

what do you call mmath in boxing?

he beat john ruiz at heavyweight. john ruiz. john. ruiz.

Im not using MMAmath. Im simply saying any HW who can beat Holyfield for the title, than lose to a 175 pounder at his own weight. ....That 175er must be great.

IT RHYMED

well it's not like most HW's are natural HW's. hell, holyfield natural weight was cruiserweight. toney's was middleweight. if you have the skills though, you gotta go for HW- $$$. roy was just lighter when he actually fought for the belt. it's impressive any way you look at it's to me it's just not as impressive as some of the very top tier fighters by accomplishments. like ali, he beat everyone from liston to foreman. he beat guys who they themselves are legit top 10 GOAT fighters, and roy can't say that, unfortunately.

Ruiz beat a lot of good fighters.
He just beat Mcline, most people think he should have gotten the W against Valuev, Holyfield, Kirk johnson, Rahman, Oquendo.

People hate Ruiz. I understand that. He's boring.. but he does win.

well it's not like most HW's are natural HW's. hell, holyfield natural weight was cruiserweight. toney's was middleweight. if you have the skills though, you gotta go for HW- $$$. roy was just lighter when he actually fought for the belt. it's impressive any way you look at it's to me it's just not as impressive as some of the very top tier fighters by accomplishments. like ali, he beat everyone from liston to foreman. he beat guys who they themselves are legit top 10 GOAT fighters, and roy can't say that, unfortunately.

And that is why ALI is the greatest. Who the fuck is arguing that ALi isnt? Dont bring shit up that isnt relevant. Give jones his respect. He is top 20 GOAT, and GOAT at middleweight, AND fastest P4P boxer of alltime. So Roy is great

Roy's a speed based fighter that depended too heavily on his athletic advantages. Time caught him quick like it does all fighters that fight that way.

yea but he had great awareness also....his ability to spot that punch when his opponent had a good defense was incredible....he could mix it up....calzaghe just slaps at you with his admittedly lightning fast feather fists from a distance and runs away for 12 rounds

I'm not knocking Calzaghe. He's a good fighter, but take his most dominant performance(Lacy) and then realize that Roy did that and then some everytime out in his prime. There is really no comparison.

I pretty much agree.

And that is why ALI is the greatest. Who the fuck is arguing that ALi isnt? Dont bring shit up that isnt relevant. Give jones his respect. He is top 20 GOAT, and GOAT at middleweight, AND fastest P4P boxer of alltime. So Roy is great
go read my original post again. how is it not true?

i never said he doesnt get props; he just doesn't get to be put at the same level as guys like ali,holmes, duran, robinson, chavez, because his level of opposition hasn't been as high. these are guys who beat mulitple greats and not just quality opposition.

jones legacy just sh*ts all over calzaghe's its not even close; the best on calzaghe's ledger of wins is lacy/bika/kessler

the list of guys jones beats virgil hill, b hops, john ruiz, antonio tarver,clinton woods, montell griffin, james toney, thulani magina eric lucas lou de vallem tito trinidad, otis grant, julio gonzalez

are these names big names, hopkins/toney/
hill all are hof'ers and went on to dominate other weightclasses and win multiple titles. An for the lesser names, griffin/grant/del valle /ruiz had titles; an in the case of lucas woods gonzales (all who were considered cannon fodder) all went on to win titles against guys considered to be the best or top 3 champs in their div.

an tarver actually was the unified lhw champion...

its not just what the guys did before u; its what they did after that justifies u fighting them and legitimizes them as opp... An roys guys are all legit, an won/defended titles against top comp and alot of them are still at least fringe contenders; some are champs or fighting for titles.. tarver/woods to say the least.

even the best guys calzaghe has beaten haven't done a damn thing, yet, so until his opp go on to have world title reigns or stay in the top ten in their weightclass its not a convo...

an to be honest it wont ever be...roy beat 4 hof, calzaghe beat a bunch of good, very good and avg guys; roy beat world champs, future world champs and perrenial top ten guys

hope this answered it

jones legacy just sh*ts all over calzaghe's its not even close; the best on calzaghe's ledger of wins is lacy/bika/kessler

the list of guys jones beats virgil hill, b hops, john ruiz, antonio tarver,clinton woods, montell griffin, james toney, thulani magina eric lucas lou de vallem tito trinidad, otis grant, julio gonzalez

are these names big names, hopkins/toney/
hill all are hof'ers and went on to dominate other weightclasses and win multiple titles. An for the lesser names, griffin/grant/del valle /ruiz had titles; an in the case of lucas woods gonzales (all who were considered cannon fodder) all went on to win titles against guys considered to be the best or top 3 champs in their div.

an tarver actually was the unified lhw champion...

its not just what the guys did before u; its what they did after that justifies u fighting them and legitimizes them as opp... An roys guys are all legit, an won/defended titles against top comp and alot of them are still at least fringe contenders; some are champs or fighting for titles.. tarver/woods to say the least.

even the best guys calzaghe has beaten haven't done a damn thing, yet, so until his opp go on to have world title reigns or stay in the top ten in their weightclass its not a convo...

an to be honest it wont ever be...roy beat 4 hof, calzaghe beat a bunch of good, very good and avg guys; roy beat world champs, future world champs and perrenial top ten guys

hope this answered it

Make sure to add Eubank to Calzaghe's list. & I think a few names on your Jones list need to be pretty much voided. Especially Trinidad, a blown-up Welterweight. And Tarver who then, well we know what he did to Jones. A few names mentioned I don't think hold too much weight also.

However I think Jones at his prime would beat Calzaghe in his prime, and that counts for a lot. The victory over Hopkins as well, dominant performance against him when he was still young. Unless Joe can KO him he won't better that. I think Jones has the edge for sure in terms of legacy but not by far. Calzaghe is a great champion and Jones reputation has definitely been tarnished in the last few years. Just a pitty they didn't fight when they both were dominating.

Yup everyone hates on ruiz [well its justified} but if you only look at boxrec and not watch his fight then youll see he has fought some good fighters {yeah the hw div. maybe lame today but ruiz fought some of the best that it could offer}

However I think Jones at his prime would beat Calzaghe in his prime, and that counts for a lot.

I personally don't think this matters when discussing their legacies.

Regardless, Jones has the superior record at this point in their careers.

Back