Crime California orders early release of 76K "career" criminals including repeat violent felons

If they're non-violent then I don't think they should be put in prison. I support corporal punishment for such criminals. If they're repeat offenders and especially of the kind that have a big disruptive impact, like people who commit white collar crimes of a large scale, non-violent robberies or scams, then yeah at some point lock them up I guess but otherwise just give them some strokes of the cane and let them go.
I don't understand this idea that non violent crimes are better than violent crimes. Excluding murder and catastrophic injury the psychological damage of having your home broken into, car stolen, identity taken, etc... is arguably just as bad. Additionally, the economic damage of non violent crimes could cause physical ailments ten times worse than an assault.

We are far too lenient on criminals and the damage they cause to society, especially non violent crimes are great.

I don't understand this idea that non violent crimes are better than violent crimes. Excluding murder and catastrophic injury the psychological damage of having your home broken into, car stolen, identity taken, etc... is arguably just as bad. Additionally, the economic damage of non violent crimes could cause physical ailments ten times worse than an assault.

We are far too lenient on criminals and the damage they cause to society, especially non violent crimes are great.
I am not saying that they are better, kind of a weird term to use. I make the distinction because a person who commits violent crime is obviously a danger to others and therefore it makes sense to put them in a cage to keep the rest of us safe. But to be clear here I am not saying that we shouldn't punish criminals who commit non-violent crimes, I'm saying we should subject them to corporal punishment. If you're a repeat offender of non-violent crimes like property crimes then yeah at some point you should be put in prison since you have demonstrated that you can't operate in society. But if you haven't hurt someone and its your first offense then a dozen or so strokes of the cane could do the trick.

But I do see your point on some level. A person might commit a petty violent crime, like getting into a bar fight, that doesn't really demonstrate they are a danger to the community if they otherwise have clean track record and have a wife and kids and so on. On the other hand, someone else might pull off a bank robbery without committing a single violent act but said person should probably not be allowed back onto the streets.

Last edited:
Schermafbeelding-2021-05-02-om-08-57-24.png

wow!

Lmao.... They should all be placed in a mansion next to Gavin’s home. They will be great neighbors and bring cookies.

Last edited:
As someone who has been to Disneyland many times, there ain't much happiness round them parts.

Hard to be happy knowing you wasted 200 bucks to be surrounded by smelly overweight nerds and their goblin-like children.
Went to a Disneyland (world?) Orlando golf course once and had a blast. The different species of birds made it worth it and I'm not even a ornithologist. I felt like a kid.

THought this a nice article on Democrat run California's latest criminal release idea.

"Keeping the dangerous criminals out of prison isn't a winning plan"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...s-criminals-out-of-prison-isnt-a-winning-plan

excerpt:

California's actions have a logic.

All decent people want our prisons to be safe places. One could, potentially, make prisons safer by removing the dangerous criminals from the prisons and releasing them onto the streets.

Yes, the logic is there. The sense, the morality, and the justice, on the other hand, are totally absent.

Sadly, California is part of a growing trend of states that believe they are choosing freedom over punishment. Instead, they are diminishing society's freedom by abandoning justice and safety.

Of course, offering second chances to those who earn them is a good thing. Failing to penalize offenders adequately or deter them in the first place, though, is an invitation to cultural rot and mayhem.

On Saturday, with almost no public notice, California augmented early-release credits for some 76,000 felons, including violent and repeat offenders. This comes atop the state adopting no-bail policies during the pandemic while its Supreme Court forbade cash-bail systems for the indigent. The results of these leniencies in California, as they have been across the country, are rising rates of recidivism and of crime in general.

Leftist officials persist in such policies despite pushback from many prosecutors and even from the press. On Jan. 4, for example, the Yolo County district attorney’s office complained that just in the eight months of a zero-dollar bail policy, 427 released arrestees committed crimes, including serious crimes such as attempted murder, within that county alone. In all, nearly 40% of those released on zero bail reoffended at least one time.

Meanwhile, the CBS affiliate in Sacramento reported last month that “Sacramento County businesses say California’s no bail policy and looser chronic-nuisance-offender policies are destroying their livelihoods. It’s gotten so bad in parts of Sacramento county that some businesses are asking to break their leases to escape the constant crime.”

All this continues a trend that began a full 10 years ago, when the Golden State adopted the first of four major leniency steps — legislative act AB 109, and Propositions 36, 47, and 57 in, respectively, 2012, 2014, and 2016. These new laws capped prison populations, gutted the state’s prior “three strikes” law against recidivists, began treating all thefts of less than $950 as mere misdemeanors, and reduced existing sentences for tens of thousands of non-heinous offenders. Result: While crime rates fell across the nation (until last year’s anti-police overreactions) in the past decade, crime rose substantially almost across the board in California. Perhaps the starkest statistic was that the number of rapes more than doubled in 10 years from about 7,000 to nearly 15,000.

And Oakland today is a proverbial war zone, already well on pace for a murder every three days, which would mean a second-straight year of triple-digit homicides after many years below that grim threshold.

California provides only one stark example of the sudden hike in crime across the nation, much of it correlating almost directly with early-release programs, reductions of cash bail, sentence reductions for serious crimes, and elimination of prison time for lesser offenses. Some of it, to be sure, resulted from early prisoner releases undertaken in order to stop coronavirus spread in crowded prisons. Still, whatever the reason for the releases, the high and oft-violent recidivism rate shows the dangers to public safety inherent in setting too many felons free......

I am not saying that they are better, kind of a weird term to use. I make the distinction because a person who commits violent crime is obviously a danger to others and therefore it makes sense to put them in a cage to keep the rest of us safe. But to be clear here I am not saying that we shouldn't punish criminals who commit non-violent crimes, I'm saying we should subject them to corporal punishment. If you're a repeat offender of non-violent crimes like property crimes then yeah at some point you should be put in prison since you have demonstrated that you can't operate in society. But if you haven't hurt someone and its your first offense then a dozen or so strokes of the cane could do the trick.

But I do see your point on some level. A person might commit a petty violent crime, like getting into a bar fight, that doesn't really demonstrate they are a danger to the community if they otherwise have clean track record and have a wife and kids and so on. On the other hand, someone else might pull off a bank robbery without committing a single violent act but said person should probably not be allowed back onto the streets.
I'm betting that petty thieves would also rather take the lashes than be put in a cage for six months.

I'm betting that petty thieves would also rather take the lashes than be put in a cage for six months.
That's really my main reason for supporting it, I think its more humane than prison time. Especially for poor people where even a relatively short time in jail can really screw them over.

Back