Law California Imposing (Unconstitutional) Gender Quotas on All Corporate Boardrooms

LOL

It's such a wonder how a system once owned and controlled entirely by white men, and now only so to a still-wildly disproportionate degree, could possibly not liberalize into being representative of the entire country after a few decades of not allowing white men to expressly discriminate. It's not as if power naturally replicates itself through informal social relations and that white men are more likely to transfer power to white men because they are more likely to interact with, befriend, and have existing social relationships with white men.

This also demands an answer to why black folks in America on average own far less land and are more less wealthy. Surely, if black folks weren't woefully inadequate compared to white men (and on the basis of their skin tone), the black community would have immediately attained the same level of wealth as the white community.

Smh, women and racial minorities are so incompetent and whiny, amirite.

Heh.
The correct answer is "it is happening, but change takes time."

But carry on being whiny and trying to make everything about skin colour if you think that it somehow better proves your point.

So if I get a sex change, or suddenly identify as a female...does that instantly make me more qualified, California?

(this is how you lose the next election, libtards...just sayin)

Heh.
The correct answer is "it is happening, but change takes time."

But carry on being whiny and trying to make everything about skin colour if you think that it somehow better proves your point.

So your resolution is to allow arbitrary inequity to persist indefinitely because why the hell not - it will work itself some time in the next ten or hundred or thousand years.

Carry on being an imbecile.

So your resolution is to allow arbitrary inequity to persist indefinitely because why the hell not - it will work itself some time in the next ten or hundred or thousand years.

Really? The next hundred or thousand years?
Lol. And how will you know when the injustice has been corrected?
Or do you think demographic quotas are the way to go?

Do you have a real point or recommendation, or did you just spot a loose excuse to cry about race and you didn't really think past making the usual race-baiting talking points?

Fine. But only if Huffpo is forced to put Jim Norton on their editorial board.

Really? The next hundred or thousand years?
Lol. And how will you know when the injustice has been corrected?
Or do you think demographic quotas are the way to go?[/quote]

I think demographic quotas can be a double-edged sword, but that they are a good faith response to a pressing issue and can help expedite change, yes.

Do you have a real point or recommendation, or did you just spot a loose excuse to cry about race and you didn't really think past making the usual race-baiting talking points?

By "loose excuse" do you mean your original shit post? Yes, I spotted that. And, knowing that you're a fairly contentious person, I expected a response. An outright concession that it was a willfully ignorant post would have been ideal, but I at least appreciate that you didn't double down on the implicit proposition (that the wildly disproportionate power held by men is because they are in fact wildly disproportionate to women in their ability and talent).

However, the issue I raised was with your dismissal of action on inequality: that it will resolve itself unless the persons of unequal standing are of lesser ability or quality. I personally don't think demographic quotas are much more than stop gaps for more meaningful redistribution of power, but I am certainly not offended by them, especially when the demographic at hand is literally 50% of the world population. They are far preferable to me than to sit idly by and just presume that someday things will work themselves out.

How is it arbitrary if you just gave a reason for it?

How is it arbitrary if you just gave a reason for it?

Huh? Something being rooted in historical inequality is not a justification against being arbitrary. If 100% of green people owned farms and 0% of blue people owned farms, because they were legally prohibited from doing so, and the distinction between green and blue color had nothing to do with capacity for farm administration, the disparity in ownership would not cease to be arbitrary just because it exists. That's the entire point of the term "arbitrary:" existing without a defensible justification. You're confusing justification with explanation.

Unless you can point to a present difference in ability or effort (for instance, women's role in child rearing and withdrawal from the workforce could well justify a deviation from a 50-50 distribution, but certainly not the 85-15 current distribution), it's arbitrary.

I think demographic quotas can be a double-edged sword, but that they are a good faith response to a pressing issue and can help expedite change, yes.

Lol.

By "loose excuse" do you mean your original shit post? Yes, I spotted that. And, knowing that you're a fairly contentious person, I expected a response. An outright concession that it was a willfully ignorant post would have been ideal, but I at least appreciate that you didn't double down on the implicit proposition (that the wildly disproportionate power held by men is because they are in fact wildly disproportionate to women in their ability and talent).

The question was, "if it is more realistic, why is it not happening in real life?"
You practise law, so surely you are literate?

Maybe you should stop reading between the lines and looking for implications. I said nothing about either ability or talent. I asked why an outcome that is allegedly "more realistic" isn't happening.

The fact that your sole interpretation of that was "women are worse at stuff," kind of illustates the problem with mindsets like yours, as does the fact that you felt the need to inject race into the conversation.

However, the issue I raised was with your dismissal of action on inequality:

I took issue with the phrasing and my dismissal was of the thinking it appeared to betray.

that it will resolve itself unless the persons of unequal standing are of lesser ability or quality.

And this is the broken thinking i am referring to. Not every example of unequal representation has to be about discriminatory assumptions about ability.

But i guess, when all you have is a hammer...
Maybe you could start trying to think in nuance rather than reductive blunt force?

I personally don't think demographic quotas are much more than stop gaps for more meaningful redistribution of power, but I am certainly not offended by them, especially when the demographic at hand is literally 50% of the world population. They are far preferable to me than to sit idly by and just presume that someday things will work themselves out.

Lol. Yup, because discriminatory hiring practices based on arbitrary circumstances of birth have never done damage before.

I am glad to see that you at least seem to have abandoned the race-baiting and are now just making a normal empty argument though.

There's the level of response I was expecting.

The question was, "if it is more realistic, why is it not happening in real life?"
You practise law, so surely you are literate?

And I answered it in my very first post. Go back and read, instead of immediately getting flustered.

Maybe you should stop reading between the lines and looking for implications. I said nothing about either ability or talent. I asked why an outcome that is allegedly "more realistic" isn't happening.

Again, already addressed. Although I may have overestimated your ability to infer sarcasm:

It's such a wonder how a system once owned and controlled entirely by white men, and now only so to a still-wildly disproportionate degree, could possibly not liberalize into being representative of the entire country after a few decades of not allowing white men to expressly discriminate. It's not as if power naturally replicates itself through informal social relations and that white men are more likely to transfer power to white men because they are more likely to interact with, befriend, and have existing social relationships with white men.
Unless this is a matter of language barrier, it's pretty clear that you're making your argument in bad faith. "Realistic" refers to actual relative ability, not present distribution. It's like saying (I'll use electoral politics since race analogies ruffled your feathers) "Democrats should realistically have 52% of Congressional seats, as opposed to 44%, because they received 52% of votes" as an indictment of gerrymandering distorting representation of real phenomena (voting).

The fact that your sole interpretation of that was "women are worse at stuff," kind of illustates the problem with mindsets like yours, as does the fact that you felt the need to inject race into the conversation.

That was your very obvious implication: that if it were representative of "realistic" distribution of talent, it would in fact be a reality.

But i guess, when all you have is a hammer...
Maybe you could start trying to think in nuance rather than reductive blunt force?

When you're too daft to observe irony, perhaps you are only able of making hilariously ironic statements.

Lol. Yup, because discriminatory hiring practices based on arbitrary circumstances of birth have never done damage before.

Uhhhh, so you are saying there should be more demographic quotas then? Or because arbitrary discrimination is so widespread it should just be accepted.

My, you could have taken that moronic deflection right from your apartheid ancestors' playbook.

I am glad to see that you at least seem to have abandoned the race-baiting and are now just making a normal empty argument though.

And, meanwhile, you can't seem to settle on any argument at all. You've gone from "women do not realistically have comparable ability or else they would already have equal ownership of power," to stating you were making a policy-neutral argument about semantics, to "well, discrimination has done damage before, so let's ignore its continued damage."

Hold on.....hold on....isnt Cali the state that insists that there are 64 genders? Or at least more than two? So how can they prioritize one over the others? How would they know if they are women? For all we know those current board members identify as women.

I just realized it would be hilarious if every board member in Cali publicly stated they identify as women. Then it would be 100% women on the corporate boards pf Cali.

There's the level of response I was expecting.

This is pretty much what 'lol' stands in for. "Good faith demographic quotas" isn't an idea that's worth much more than that.

And I answered it in my very first post. Go back and read, instead of immediately getting flustered.

I am aware. But, as you resorted to sarcasm, out-of-context quoting and race-baiting to build a strawman around me, I took this response about as seriously as it deserved to be taken. Which is to say, not very.
Unless this is a matter of language barrier, it's pretty clear that you're making your argument in bad faith.

Considering you ignored the crux of my post and immediately resorted to strawmanning, you're not exactly in a position to be complaining about bad faith arguments.
You get out what you put in (a fitting sentiment for this thread, really).

"Realistic" refers to actual relative ability, not present distribution. It's like saying (I'll use electoral politics since race analogies ruffled your feathers) "Democrats should realistically have 52% of Congressional seats, as opposed to 44%, because they received 52% of votes" as an indictment of gerrymandering distorting representation of real phenomena (voting).

"Realistic" refers to what is practical, sensible, pragmatic. None of which I think describes demographic employment quotas.

Race analogies don't ruffle my feathers, I simply think that it is revealing that you have to bring the plight of the black man into the conversation, just so that you have an excuse to narrow the villain down from "males" to "white males". It says something about the narrow place from which you're making your argument.

That was your very obvious implication: that if it were representative of "realistic" distribution of talent, it would in fact be a reality.

No. My very obvious implication was that if it were a realistic expectation, there'd be a realistic solution.

Although, there is something to be said or the actual distribution of skills/capabilities (not talent, since that is a natural inclination rather than learned). Are young girls being taught the (predominantly social, I imagine) skills that would prepare them for ascension to these positions? Are young boys being raised to see girls as potential parts of their inner circles? Are there other factors, aside from relative ability, that impact the way these two groups develop?

Come now. The standard talking point that comes out from my side about this cites relative preferences and personal choices of boys/men and girls/women. That you'd jump straight into the assumption of discrimination, and then start ranting about race, is strongly indicative of your coming into this discussion in bad faith.

When you're too daft to observe irony, perhaps you are only able of making hilariously ironic statements.

Indeed.

Uhhhh, so you are saying there should be more demographic quotas then? Or because arbitrary discrimination is so widespread it should just be accepted.

Neither.
Maybe you missed my sarcasm, or are you just falling back onto the strawman?

My, you could have taken that moronic deflection right from your apartheid ancestors' playbook.

My, this looks like arbitrary discrimination based on an accidental circumstance of my birth - namely, where I was born.
Sorry, but your bias has lead you astray and your assumption is incorrect. I have no apartheid ancestors. I'm an English South African. Try bitching about the sins of the colonial British Empire; I'm sure that'll get a rise out of me that you're looking for :)
Also, it'll put you on the same side as those apartheid devils. I'd enjoy that.

And, meanwhile, you can't seem to settle on any argument at all.

That's not what's happening at all. You're simply so intent on unearthing bigotry that you're blinding yourself to the reality of what's being said.

You've gone from "women do not realistically have comparable ability or else they would already have equal ownership of power,"

See? I don't think I have ever said this or anything like this. I didn't imply this, you inferred it. Incorrectly.

to stating you were making a policy-neutral argument about semantics,

Yep, this has been my pretty consistent position.

to "well, discrimination has done damage before, so let's ignore its continued damage."

Heh. What? Is this where that idiocy above about my wanting more demographic quotas came from? Is this what you thought I was saying when I sarcastically said, "Lol. Yup, because discriminatory hiring practices based on arbitrary circumstances of birth have never done damage before."?

That makes this:

Even more ironic than I originally thought.

And incorrect.

He's funny for a laugh, that's all. Surprised he was
Glad my message was so clear.

We should make a goal for you: for every daily empty post quoting me and not making a point, try to make one post somewhere else that actually has an argument or opinion or engages someone on a substantive matter of policy.

I have true faith in you that you can have an existence on this site that isn't just following around posters and hollowly punching up.

Here's something else for you to cry over.

Meanwhile, it has already been done and the results?
Ten years on from Norway’s quota for women on corporate boards
Gender quotas at board level in Europe have done little to boost corporate performance or to help women lower down
https://www.economist.com/business/...m-norways-quota-for-women-on-corporate-boards
But it feels good, up yours patriarchy!

Meanwhile, in Sweden. One of the most prominent feminist recently said that women will soon play in mixed team in the world cup final in soccer. It's not about gender but about talent and skill...(where's Mousasi and Ronda at?)

This is pretty much what 'lol' stands in for. "Good faith demographic quotas" isn't an idea that's worth much more than that.

Well that wasn't what was said. It was said that demographic quotas were a good faith attempt to address an undeniable problem. That you mistake the two concepts speaks to the limits of your intelligence. That you don't understand that something you don't like can be sought in good faith speaks to the limits of your desire to understand.

I am aware. But, as you resorted to sarcasm, out-of-context quoting and race-baiting to build a strawman around me, I took this response about as seriously as it deserved to be taken. Which is to say, not very.

There was no context that was disregarded. You're trying to pass off a stupid statement as meaning something else, despite having no grounds to do so (even you're not trying to present actual context), instead of owning up to your brain fart. Then, when realizing how transparent that is, you instead resort to calling my analogy "race baiting" in hopes of deflecting the conversation away from the logic of the analogy itself, which you still haven't attacked.....at all.

For all I (or likely anyone reading this) can tell, you completely agree with my posts, but are too proud to admit it. But it's undeniable that you can't proffer an actual disagreement.
Considering you ignored the crux of my post and immediately resorted to strawmanning, you're not exactly in a position to be complaining about bad faith arguments.

You also don't seem to understand what a strawman argument is. You really should have taken the out I gave you with the "language barrier" bit, instead of wildly referring to logical fallacies.

You get out what you put in (a fitting sentiment for this thread, really).

You'll need to explain what this means. I could very easily infer what you're saying and attack what I think is the implicit argument, but you'd then accuse me of "strawmanning" and refuse to articulate what you meant. That's the entire playbook for dog whistle arguments.

"Realistic" refers to what is practical, sensible, pragmatic. None of which I think describes demographic employment quotas.

Now you're switching your argument again.

But, nevertheless, the burden is on you to support this statement. You don't seem to disagree that disproportionate representation of men versus women is due to lingering persistence of historical inequalities, and not any merit-based metric that is inherent to sex (at least you haven't made an argument to the contrary). And this policy mandates redressing that admittedly-arbitrary disparity. So it is very basically practical and sensible. As far as "pragmatic" goes, that's a matter argument.

Race analogies don't ruffle my feathers, I simply think that it is revealing that you have to bring the plight of the black man into the conversation, just so that you have an excuse to narrow the villain down from "males" to "white males". It says something about the narrow place from which you're making your argument.

So....still can't form an actual criticism of the analogy? You still haven't attacked it once. You just cry "racebaiting!!!!" and expect that to punctuate the argument and allow you to strut away.

No. My very obvious implication was that if it were a realistic expectation, there'd be a realistic solution.

This is a non sequitur.

Although, there is something to be said or the actual distribution of skills/capabilities (not talent, since that is a natural inclination rather than learned). Are young girls being taught the (predominantly social, I imagine) skills that would prepare them for ascension to these positions? Are young boys being raised to see girls as potential parts of their inner circles? Are there other factors, aside from relative ability, that impact the way these two groups develop?

Yes, there are a myriad of factors, but the presence of these factors does nothing to support you argument that a back-end solution is thus most appropriate. Pointing to the many mitigating factors in an effort to paint the issue as hopelessly opaque is not a tactic of which I am fond.

Come now. The standard talking point that comes out from my side about this cites relative preferences and personal choices of boys/men and girls/women. That you'd jump straight into the assumption of discrimination, and then start ranting about race, is strongly indicative of your coming into this discussion in bad faith.

But that "standard talking point" is without merit, as metrics on "preferences and personal choices" do not validate the existing disparities (at least in the United States). While women make up only 15% of corporate directors, 35-40% of MBA graduates are women.

Also, the fact that you say I'd "jump straight into the assumption of discrimination," when I explicitly said and then restated that conscious discrimination was not the primary issue, is telling of your bad faith. Only being able to conceptualize discrimination, and not being able to understand the natural replication of inequity through social relations (as I stated twice) is your problem, not mine.

Maybe you missed my sarcasm, or are you just falling back onto the strawman?

Why do you space out these quotes so much.

And you still don't get what a straw man argument means. I have laid out very clear arguments, and you're still refusing to rely on any one argument of your own.

My, this looks like arbitrary discrimination based on an accidental circumstance of my birth - namely, where I was born.
Sorry, but your bias has lead you astray and your assumption is incorrect. I have no apartheid ancestors. I'm an English South African. Try bitching about the sins of the colonial British Empire; I'm sure that'll get a rise out of me that you're looking for :)
Also, it'll put you on the same side as those apartheid devils. I'd enjoy that.

Glad to see you aren't drawing from their talking points consciously. But you'd likely have bought them hook, line, and sinker, and you're co-opting the logic.

Heh. What? Is this where that idiocy above about my wanting more demographic quotas came from? Is this what you thought I was saying when I sarcastically said, "Lol. Yup, because discriminatory hiring practices based on arbitrary circumstances of birth have never done damage before."?

Is this just your method of arguing? Making vague statements that can be clearly construed in only one way, and then going "ahhh golly jee that's not what I meant" later, without clarifying what you were trying to say in the first place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back