• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

California Bans Trans Fats!

You'll be more likely to eat them, that's for sure. It's hard to make a solid decision not to eat trans fats. Even if you have a will of iron.

they are in nearly every food item in some form or another,

the stuff isn't even good in moderation.

It's like asking if crystal meth is good in moderation.

Nvm, Crystal meth is a bad example, trans fats aren't addictive as far as we know.

Perhaps it is on the same level of smoking cigarettes based on the heart disease statistics.

I eat trans fats by the bucket. Delicious!

So, your original statement that said we support trans fat consumption because we don't support this law was just an attempt to frame the argument?

You'll be more likely to eat them, that's for sure. It's hard to make a solid decision not to eat trans fats. Even if you have a will of iron.

Now your argument in support for this law says that because trans fats are hard not to eat we should ban them. Wow, you need to take a philosophy class and you need to learn what is a quality argument for doing something or not doing something. In this country, you need a damn good reason to restrict/ban something and "it's bad for you" is a horrible and inconsistently used reason.

they are in nearly every food item in some form or another,

They're not in the foods I eat. You want to know why? I exercised my free will and CHOSE not to eat something I knew to be bad for me.

the stuff isn't even good in moderation.

It's like asking if crystal meth is good in moderation.

I know you retracted this comparison but I think it is a good segue into why this law and this country's thinking on this type of law is so inconsistent. Why don't we ban cigarettes, alcohol, and firearms? They kill more people than trans fats by far and they're still legal.

meh. i know its a matter of principle, but i still think it's a step in the right direction as far as the general health of americans go.

For the record, cigarettes, alcohol and firearms have some form of restriction on them. Your babies aren't drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes, but they are more than likely eating some delicious trans fats.

I just think this type of thing has been ignored for way too long.

Alcohol, and cigarettes are restricted to minors, as an adult I can go and buy as much as I want.

The government is not supposed to play the role of mommy and daddy for adults, who are perfectly capable of making their own choices, right or wrong.

America is supposed to be about freedom of thought, not freedom from thought.

Im tired of our gov., especially in Ca. making these "mommy" laws. The motorcycle helmet law pisses me off everyday, no smoking in bars, I dont smoke but Im not forced to go get drunk, seatbelts, and now the gov. is telling me what I can eat. I dont eat trans fat and I make sure my son doesnt either but thats MY responsibility. What if I was dying of brain cancer and I just wanted to ride my motorcyle down the coast, stop into a bar for a smoke, and then eat some McD's fries!!

This is silly legislation aimed at good PR, our school systems here in Ca. are laying off teachers left and right and were making laws about french fries.

Alcohol, and cigarettes are restricted to minors, as an adult I can go and buy as much as I want.

The government is not supposed to play the role of mommy and daddy for adults, who are perfectly capable of making their own choices, right or wrong.

America is supposed to be about freedom of thought, not freedom from thought.

Absolutely!

Is it the government's responsibility to take care of people who fuck themselves over with these "bad" substances? Who is the source of your resentment at this point?

Americans just want to be able to have their cake and eat it too. They will argue anything to that end.

Spoiled.

One thing is for sure that Big Arnold is really into the health and its good to see what he's trying to do...especially schools and for the kids.

"now you little hoodlums go eat some mcdonalds after you finish P.E."

Americans just want to be able to have their cake and eat it too. They will argue anything to that end.

Spoiled.

Foolish spoiled Americans. Having cake, and then wanting to eat it.

In Soviet Russia, CAKE EATS YOU!

*If this joke made you chuckle, or if you even get it, please help by contributing to the Yakov Smirnoff Cold War Comedy Relief Fund

I think we are missing the bigger picture here, as it were. Too many overweight women. Something needed to be done. Freedom is meaningless without options.

I think we are missing the bigger picture here, as it were. Too many overweight women. Something needed to be done. Freedom is meaningless without options.

motivationalharpoonsviagk0.jpg

California is the only state where the widespread selling of raw milk is legal too I believe. They seem to be on a health kick. Now all they have to do is find a way to get rid of all that smog.

Im tired of our gov., especially in Ca. making these "mommy" laws. The motorcycle helmet law pisses me off everyday, no smoking in bars, I dont smoke but Im not forced to go get drunk, seatbelts, and now the gov. is telling me what I can eat. I dont eat trans fat and I make sure my son doesnt either but thats MY responsibility. What if I was dying of brain cancer and I just wanted to ride my motorcyle down the coast, stop into a bar for a smoke, and then eat some McD's fries!!

This is silly legislation aimed at good PR, our school systems here in Ca. are laying off teachers left and right and were making laws about french fries.

I am all for smoking bans in public places. It's not like smoking is completely innocuous, having a significant impact on bystanders. There is a huge difference in banning the use of trans fats in the production of food and not authorizing smoking in public facilities or restaurants.

Back