Calf Slicer From The BJJ Kumite. (Instructional Video)

Is this just a pain compliance submission or what happens if the pressure keeps up?

This submission can put you out of training for awhile if you don't tap. But I've had people take the pain and keep going.

This submission can put you out of training for awhile if you don't tap. But I've had people take the pain and keep going.

I haven't tapped to calf or bicep slicers that use opponent's arm as the slicer because I have skinny calves and arms and most of the time, opponent can't generate enough separation.

But I have tapped to slicers where opponent uses their calf as the slicer, because now there is much more thickness and leverage. For example the last one from mount (which is just an inverse variation of the one where you have a single hook from the back), I have tapped to.

I like the submission, but i think it might be hard to get that right leg out if you are a bigger guy, or a guy with longer legs, its got to be done fast and at the right time. Giving less room for error to pull it off correctly. Leaving guys who have guts, or big thighs, and guys with long legs less opportunity to have a successful chance at completing the move. Will definitely give this one a shot.

Great technique thanks for posting Sean. Hit it once today while rolling. Tried it on Barata but he shut it down and passed with a leg drag, then whispered in my ear "I watch the Kumite too motherf***a" lol

Dude, I went for it today and the guy went straight for the heel hook and told me " I saw the Kumite too" I ditched it and spun out.

Haven't been on the mats to drill this yet but saw some people are complaining about squashing their goose eggs

My guess would be grabbing your thigh and scooting your but over help prevent this? Anyone have any tips on avoiding this- I'm making a baby this week and need balls intact.

I drilled this today and totally squashed my balls but it worked

I did notice that if you can hit it from shin to shin single leg guard you can avoid crushing EM? Any thoughts?

it is like putting a rod in between a door hinges and applying pressure.

The door hinges will break as it will seperate. and not been strechted out like a knee bar.

the assumption is that with a strecth (knee bar) you have time to gauge the pain and the ligaments takes a while to strecht and break (giving you ample time to tap).

In case of the slicer, people dont tap because they think it is just a crush on the calf so they tuf it up...until the knee ligaments break like a door hinges. The ligaments are just not made to be streched that way.

Of course, I could be also totally wrong and someone with better knowledge would add to it.

Well, I can speak from experience because I'm currently nursing a popped knee from this very calf slicer. Strange thing is, it really didn't hurt much (or I would have tapped immediately) and my training partner wasn't even cranking it that hard when it popped. He locked up the sub and was like, "did you see the kumi...POP." I've been having problems with that knee for a while, so it may have been weakened already though. Anyway, not just a pain compliance move. Tap to that shit!

I haven't tapped to calf or bicep slicers that use opponent's arm as the slicer because I have skinny calves and arms and most of the time, opponent can't generate enough separation.

But I have tapped to slicers where opponent uses their calf as the slicer, because now there is much more thickness and leverage. For example the last one from mount (which is just an inverse variation of the one where you have a single hook from the back), I have tapped to.

Be careful with that man. I also have really small calves and, well, see my above post...

for the love of god, teach us how to get out of this before we all end up in the ER

:p

Nice, I always wrote this off as ineffective at high levels, but ever since I saw the BJJ kumite it's all I've been going for, haha. Great video!

Back