Cain being terrified to take down Werdum is absurd

wand8mychildren

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anybody think it is absurd that a fighter supposedly as well-rounded as Cain, and well-versed in top-control and GNP and sub-defense, is utterly terrified to go to the ground with Werdum?

It's not UFC 1 anymore, sub-defense exists now. Werdum subbed a gassed and broken Cain, but a semi-fresh Hunto recently survived on the ground with Werdum. Demian Maia has world-class BJJ, yet 12 of his last 15 fights ended in a decision, and in many of those fights Maia spent a lot of time on the ground but couldn't get a sub. Francis Carmont recently survived 3 rounds on the ground with Jacare, fought mainly with Jacare on top. I don't recall GSP ever being scared of taking anyone down or being in anyone's guard.

In short, Cain should man up and take Werdum down and GNP him. If he can't do that without getting subbed, he should flush his BJJ black belt down the toilet and demand a refund from Camarillo.

20100626090839_img_1749.jpg

Nope. No way does Cain want to be in Werdum's guard.

1. Werdum flopped to his back early in the fight and tried to bait Cain to the ground. Cain kept it standing and backed off.

2. He took Werdum down later in the round, got side control and Werdum tried flipping him over into guard. Cain wanted none of it backed out.

3. Cain double legged Werdum, Werdum almost rolls him over into mount. They scramble, Werdum gets his arm and tries pulling him down. Cain backs off.

4. Cain double legs hims and gets guillotined.

Seems to me Cain wants no part of the ground...

If you can't ground and pound Werdum, you don't deserve a black belt in jiu jitsu.

That shit-eating grin on Werdum's face never gets old. Dude is a great fighter and great personality to boot. I love that the toughest SoB in the world (still not sure he could beat Kharitonov, but the onus is on Kharitonov to come to Werdum) is just a big goofball.

There's a reason he didn't go many takedowns until he was about to get KOed. He just wanted the fight to be over.

Anybody think it is absurd that a fighter supposedly as well-rounded as Cain, and well-versed in top-control and GNP and sub-defense, is utterly terrified to go to the ground with Werdum?

It's not UFC 1 anymore, sub-defense exists now. Werdum subbed a gassed and broken Cain, but a semi-fresh Hunto recently survived on the ground with Werdum. Demian Maia has world-class BJJ, yet 12 of his last 15 fights ended in a decision, and in many of those fights Maia spent a lot of time on the ground but couldn't get a sub. Francis Carmont recently survived 3 rounds on the ground with Jacare, fought mainly with Jacare on top. I don't recall GSP ever being scared of taking anyone down or being in anyone's guard.

In short, Cain should man up and take Werdum down and GNP him. If he can't do that without getting subbed, he should flush his BJJ black belt down the toilet and demand a refund from Camarillo.

This is your problem, you based your opinion on something that is completely unproven to be true. Cain has never had his submission defense tested till he fought Werdum and his top control was never impressive, if it were he wouldn't get so many takedowns, he would keep people down.

Cain being this super well rounded fighter that fought a bunch of styles and is proven in different areas was hype.

That shit-eating grin on Werdum's face never gets old. Dude is a great fighter and great personality to boot. I love that the toughest SoB in the world (still not sure he could beat Kharitonov, but the onus is on Kharitonov to come to Werdum) is just a big goofball.

2012_02_04-213a-medium.jpg

When has Cain shown a great sub-defense ? BTW, has he ever even tried to sub anyone ?

Honestly though it is a little crazy

I know Werdum is good on the ground but how many wrestlers still wrestle when they fight BJJ guys, Cain is a wrestler and he shouldn't be trying to win his fight by kickboxing

If he plays the game and loses so be it but at least it is his game

I think it's absurd that anyone would characterize Cain's unwillingness to go to the ground with Werdum as utter terror.

He clearly thought his best chance was to keep the fight standing. You may feel he was wrong about that, but why get so worked up about it?

Honestly though it is a little crazy

I know Werdum is good on the ground but how many wrestlers still wrestle when they fight BJJ guys, Cain is a wrestler and he shouldn't be trying to win his fight by kickboxing

If he plays the game and loses so be it but at least it is his game

I don't think Werdum has ever lost a fight due to his opponent taking him down and winning with top control. Prime Big Nog might be the closest to having done that but IMO he won it more with his striking.

Cain proves that mean muggin and looking tough isn't as severe as the happy fighter Werdum. Werdum is the greatest ufc heavyweight champion ever. So happy he beat cane. And did so with ease.haha

Mark Hunt was confident and had no issues hanging out in Werdum's guard.

Back