Cain being terrified to take down Werdum is absurd

Honestly though it is a little crazy

I know Werdum is good on the ground but how many wrestlers still wrestle when they fight BJJ guys, Cain is a wrestler and he shouldn't be trying to win his fight by kickboxing

If he plays the game and loses so be it but at least it is his game

Cain's only chance to win the fight is by kickboxing.

Good luck sitting in Werdum's guard for 25 minutes without getting caught.

Anybody think it is absurd that a fighter supposedly as well-rounded as Cain, and well-versed in top-control and GNP and sub-defense, is utterly terrified to go to the ground with Werdum?

It's not UFC 1 anymore, sub-defense exists now. Werdum subbed a gassed and broken Cain, but a semi-fresh Hunto recently survived on the ground with Werdum. Demian Maia has world-class BJJ, yet 12 of his last 15 fights ended in a decision, and in many of those fights Maia spent a lot of time on the ground but couldn't get a sub. Francis Carmont recently survived 3 rounds on the ground with Jacare, fought mainly with Jacare on top. I don't recall GSP ever being scared of taking anyone down or being in anyone's guard.

In short, Cain should man up and take Werdum down and GNP him. If he can't do that without getting subbed, he should flush his BJJ black belt down the toilet and demand a refund from Camarillo.

gsp was terrified of shilelds on the ground go back and watch the fight he only shoots a double in the last 5-10 seconds of the round and has no intention of being there for any length of time some guys are just scary on the ground.

werdums guard is no joke man

G-Assistir-luta-online-Vinny-Magalhaes-vs-Fabricio-Werdum-no-ADCC-2011.jpg

any1 who can get vinny in compromising positions is pretty dam on good on the ground (no homo)

hunt is much stronger than cain, which results in a better defense

with anyone other than werdum, i would agree. but werdum is in his own category off his back. there are no HWs that want to be in his guard, for good reason.

Mark Hunt was confident and had no issues hanging out in Werdum's guard.

HuntO has that I don't give a fuck attitude. Cain, not so much.. look how long he milked out holding the title without defending it. Cain as champ, was just an era in UFC that will be/needs to be forgotten. The sooner the better.

Mark Hunt was confident and had no issues hanging out in Werdum's guard.

Mark Hunt did nothing but defend himself while in Werdum's guard. I think Hunt's top control is better too, Cain's never really shown good top control, it's part of why he gets so many takedowns.

werdums guard is no joke man

G-Assistir-luta-online-Vinny-Magalhaes-vs-Fabricio-Werdum-no-ADCC-2011.jpg

any1 who can get vinny in compromising positions is pretty dam on good on the ground (no homo)

Werdum can be considered the best submission guy in mma history and it would be hard to argue.

He's a blackbelt who wants no part of another guys ground game. Seems like that should be a slap in the face to his bjj coach or he knows he got his belt from a mcdojo.

Mark Hunt did nothing but defend himself while in Werdum's guard. I think Hunt's top control is better too, Cain's never really shown good top control, it's part of why he gets so many takedowns.

This is true, JDS got up inumerous times against him.

still not sure he (Werdum) could beat Kharitonov, but the onus is on Kharitonov to come to Werdum.

You live in the distant past. Kharitonov has not faced a worthy opponent since his submission loss to Barnett back in 2011. Since then, he's been fighting against no-names and gimme opponents, including 0-0 John Delgado and "The Beast" Tyler East, slayer of cans from KOTC and WCFC.

His last two fights were against a guy nicknamed "Deuce" (I wonder why). Kenny Garner was 2-4 when he stepped up to fight Kharitonov. 6 months later (and after two wins against no-names), he stepped up again just to get stopped in the first round.

During that time, Werdum faced many elite fighters, big names and ranked HW. He has recent wins against Big Nog (sub), Travis Brown (dec), Mark Hunt (TKO) and Cain (sub).

Based on their resume since 2011 (and that's AFTER Werdum's win against Fedor), these two guys don't even belong in the same cage. If you want to go back further to legitimate this matchup, you're clearly living in the past...

TS, are you on drugs? You know what happened when Cain took down Werdum

I think this time Cain is not going to respect Werdums ground game, can't wait for this fight.

agree. the is no reason why cain cant tak him down and gnp him. by the time he took werdum down in their fight, he was almost finished

This is your problem, you based your opinion on something that is completely unproven to be true. Cain has never had his submission defense tested till he fought Werdum and his top control was never impressive, if it were he wouldn't get so many takedowns, he would keep people down.

Cain being this super well rounded fighter that fought a bunch of styles and is proven in different areas was hype.

Pretty much, Bigfoot might be a BJJ BB but he's never shown any threat from his back at all, prior to Werdum Cain had never been in the position vs anyone of having to defend against even a decent sub game let alone Werdum.

I would add as well that I think "cardio Cain" was also more than a little UFC hype. You watch the 2nd and 3rd JDS fights and I think its pretty clear Cain is tiring as they progress, its just Jnr is even more tired and beaten down.

I wouldn't be supprized if Cain himself suspect that cardio would be a problem vs a opponent who's much more economical with his and obviously a big sub threat when a fight gets sloppy, If he'd looked to LnP Werdum he might well have lost his best shot at either finishing him or beating the fight out of him as he did with JDS.

I'm confused..

You're saying Cains game plan should be to instantly take Werdum down and fight him on the floor???

That's really stupid... He will get swept or subbed.

Imo Cains best chance is to fight outside and avoid the ground, and clinch. Sit back and counter. Make Werdum come to him.

Problem is Werdum has became a very good striker.. Cain needs to get his stride back and take time to work on his striking.. He has more one shot KO power.. Problem is he's being rushed into an immediate rematch and he doesn't have time

Hunt does not have better top control than Cain... just no.

He's a blackbelt who wants no part of another guys ground game. Seems like that should be a slap in the face to his bjj coach or he knows he got his belt from a mcdojo.

90% of black belts can't hang with Werdum on the ground lol.

Back