Buy or Sell: The UFC Gets 1 Million PPV Buys On A Card In 2013

No. It'll take a superfight (GSP/Anderson/Jones/Cain) to do it or the return of Lesnar etc or a freak-show fight like Seagal stepping in there...

Lol that 4 months between fights is considered "so soon" for GSP and that him fighting a second time in a year is considered some sort of achievement. True facts but a sad reason why the UFC's growth will stagnate because they can't deliver their best products (their champs) frequently enough for their fans.

So no, they aren't likely to hit 1 mil this year because it's hard to imagine the Superfights happening.

Yeah. But whatcha gonna do with 500 fighters on the roster and a show almost every weekend. They'd have to put on about two shows a week for each fighter to fight 4 times a year. I wouldn't complain if they did.

Champs are made between fights, so fighting twice a year is less risky if they have a cash cow like GSP. Would be cool to see the very best fight more often, though.

I'm not sure they can get a mil this year either. No Brock, no superfights. It's possible GSP can pull those numbers. Jones is a promising guess right now, far from a guarantee.

Does diaz really have this big of a fan base?

Nope, the % of Diaz fans buying the PPV will be tiny. What it will do though is bring out a lot of GSP fans to buy the card to see him beat Diaz.

GSP sells like 700k+ vs guys like Dan Hardy, so ya never know.

Jones can do it if he moves up after his next fight. In other words, a Jones vs. Champion bout could sell well.

UFC 148 could've probably pulled it off and then some with a decent co-main event.

4/7 of the over 1 million cards were headlined by Lesnar. The rest were stacked cards with heated rivalries.

Honestly, there is too many events and not enough really stacked cards anymore. People are forced to choose between events for monetary reasons, and all these events spreading out the talent causes buy rates to even out. Unless there is a massive superfight, or a card with 4 high profile fights, I don't see them breaking a million this year.

Bones v spider is not selling a mil. People are so unable to see things from a casual fans standpoint for some reason. Anderson doesn't sell unless chael is on the card.

A lot of my friends who don't watch MMA know who both of them are. They talk about this superfight on ESPN. It's how I gauge the casual appeal.

And Jones-Rashad had 700k, and Rashad's been called a boring fighter throughout his career. And they'd probably house this at Jerry Land, which would stir up a bunch of mainstream attention due to the Cowboy's mad play in the national media. Not to mention they'd probably stack the card ala UFC 100 for such a massive event and venue.

This could definitely get a million buys. Anderson had 725 with Vitor. Not far behind the Chael rematch. His co-headliner with Forrest got over 700. Anderson's not Georges or Brock, but he sells pretty well.

PEOPLE ARE CRAZY IF THEY DON'T THINK THESE 2 FIGHTS WON'T SELL OVER 1 MILLION

spider vs jones
spider vs gsp

both would sell over 1.6 million, guaranteed, i could see jones vs spider selling 2 mill if the spider vs gsp happned 1st and gsp lost

A lot of my friends who don't watch MMA know who both of them are. They talk about this superfight on ESPN. It's how I gauge the casual appeal.

And Jones-Rashad had 700k, and Rashad's been called a boring fighter throughout his career. And they'd probably house this at Jerry Land, which would stir up a bunch of mainstream attention due to the Cowboy's mad play in the national media. Not to mention they'd probably stack the card ala UFC 100 for such a massive event and venue.

This could definitely get a million buys. Anderson had 725 with Vitor. Not far behind the Chael rematch. His co-headliner with Forrest got over 700. Anderson's not Georges or Brock, but he sells pretty well.
Jones vs Rashad had a big story behind it, which always helps to draw. Rashad has drawn over 1M in a main event so he's actually been a clearly bigger draw than Jones on their peaks.

Which answer is yes and which answer is no?

Jones vs Rashad had a big story behind it, which always helps to draw. Rashad has drawn over 1M in a main event so he's actually been a clearly bigger draw than Jones on their peaks.

Exactly a Rashad main event is on that list, an AS one isn't. The problem with AS-Bones and to a lesser extent AS-GSP fight is the lead-up hype will be boring(to outsiders atleast). No one is going to trash talk, get loud, etc. They will be respectful, which is boring to some especially the casual WWE types. On names alone GSP-AS should get 900,000 but anything well over a mil is nowhere near guaranteed.

Chael hyped and trash talked more then every single fighter on any those million buy PPV's combined and he couldn't get GOAT AS a million buys.

One superfight is all you need, involving Silva of course. But for normal fights it'l be a bit harder. Maybe if its all title fights:

Cain vs JDS 3
Jon Jones vs Hendo
Silva vs Weidman
GSP vs Hendricks
Bendo vs Melendez

Im pretty sure that could do over 1 million. Something like this could also work.

Jose Aldo vs Bendo
Jones vs Cormier
JDS vs Overeem
Silva vs Weidman
GSP vs Hendricks
Sonnen vs Machida\

Its possible if UFC wants to throw the big names on one big card.

Here is a list of UFC events that went over 1 million

1 7/11/2009 UFC 100: Lesnar vs. Mir 2 1,600,000
2 7/3/2010 UFC 116:
Lesnar vs. Carwin 1,160,000
3 12/30/2006 UFC 66: Liddell vs. Ortiz 2 1,050,000
4 5/29/2010 UFC 114: Rampage vs. Evans 1,050,000
5 10/23/2010 UFC 121:
Lesnar vs. Velasquez 1,050,000
6 11/15/2008 UFC 91: Couture vs.
Lesnar 1,010,000
7 12/27/2008 UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008 1,000,000 (Griffin vs. Evans)

What do you guys think, is this the year they sell a million on a PPV?

It's possible, but if we look at who's been selling the 1 mil PPVs (Lesnar 4/7, Evans 2/7), the odds doesn't look good, in my opinion. Lesnar is retired and Evans' draw probably took a plunge after he got Shadfaced by Machida.

Unless there is a new HW/LHW star or one of the current HWs/LHWs (Cain/Overeem/Jones) start to gain more popularity among casual fans, the probability is very low that they will sell 1 million PPVs in a single card in 2013.

Cain vs. Overeem has the best chance at selling 1 million PPVs if:

1. Overeem fights an awesome back-and-forth battle vs. Bigfoot destroys him in devastating fashion.

2. Cain gains lots of new support from casual fans, especially the Latin American fans.

Can't think of any good story lines set up that could do such a thing, and a story is needed for a mil.

GSP - Diaz is the best storyline since Chael - Anderson. A shame Diaz is not mainstream, this fight could gather 1.2M properly marketed. If Diaz was reliable, they could put him on an "easy run" to earn him a win streak and gain some steam toward the fight.

But Diaz wont have it. A shame because GSP knows this is his most lucrative fight beside Silva.

Back