Butterfly guard instructional?

Ghosted-Barra

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Who would you guys recommend for an instructional vid, Stephan Kesting or Michael Jen?

I would say check out the new Robson Moura set.

Kestings stuff is pretty good, but generally pretty basic.

Michael Jens stuff is solid too. If its between these two I'd go with Jen.

I have Kesting's and it is very good at covering the fundamentals of the position. I don't have Jen's set, so I can't comment on that. However, I would definately second the recommendation for Robson Moura's DVD. His butterfly guard DVD is excellent, as are the rest of his series.

I think Kesting is probably the best for beginners, but honestly I've never seen a really excellent butterfly instructional. Kesting's instructionals have gotten a lot better since he put out the butterfly set.

Robson's is cool because he shows you how to do the underhook sweep from hell, but he doesn't show a complete game.

Kesting has great instructional videos. I thought his butterfly guard video was great in conveying the basic sweeps and philosophy of the guard.

I think Kesting is probably the best for beginners, but honestly I've never seen a really excellent butterfly instructional. Kesting's instructionals have gotten a lot better since he put out the butterfly set.

Just curious: what didn't you like about Kesting's butterfly instructional? I keep seeing hints that it's not as good as his half guard DVD, but nobody will actually say why.

Thanks.

Just curious: what didn't you like about Kesting's butterfly instructional? I keep seeing hints that it's not as good as his half guard DVD, but nobody will actually say why.

Thanks.

Back