Burn OUt sets

IMustBreakYou

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My friend always does a burn out set after every individual lift. Lets say dumbell press he'll do 90s 10x 95's 8x 100's 6x times then 65 until almost failure. What's the advantage and/or disadvantage of doing these.

don't follow his routine if he's doing 100 for 6, nuff said =P...someone more qualified will answer your question

I don't agree with "burn-out" sets, but downsets are a regular part of my bench training.

Some people claim it lowers the effeciency of the training of the CNS, but I have found that doing 1-2 fairly heavy rep sets after I work up to a top single or triple helps me "fight" through heavy lifts.

IMustBreakYou said:
My friend always does a burn out set after every individual lift. Lets say dumbell press he'll do 90s 10x 95's 8x 100's 6x times then 65 until almost failure. What's the advantage and/or disadvantage of doing these.
Hypertrophy. There are more efficient ways of exhausting the muscles, but a burnout set at the end of a lift has always worked.

You shouldn't do that when training for strength of power, but if you're looking to add a base (of lean muscle mass) to further develop, then this isn't a bad idea. If you're friend does that during phases when he's trying to improve strength, then he's being a jackass, and you should let him know.

Personally I prefer drop-sets for hypertophy. Say you do 10x90. Without rest, go on to the 85's. Go until failure. Then the 80's. It's easier with a partner and with a barbell, because usually when you drop 5-10 pounds you can still only do a few reps before you fail again, so it's nice to have a partner knock off the weight really quickly while you do the set.

Then you can count me among the jackasses too, because I do 2 8-12 rep sets close to failure after my main benching is over.

burn out sets are better than nothing. some people would rather be powerlifters than work hard

OpethDrums said:
burn out sets are better than nothing. some people would rather be powerlifters than work hard

meh....jackass

Don't even acknowledge him, he gets off on having people react to him, a poor lost little schoolboy with no friends and no chix...don't worry Opeth, Mommy will be home soon to wipe your nose.

I do drop sets sometimes when training arms. Start with a dumbbell that you will fail with in the 8-10 rep range, immediately drop the weight 30% then 8-10 reps, continue down the dumbbells until I reach the 5 pounders. It has helped me add lean mass to my arms but no noticeable strength gains over regular sets. I have noticed some speed increases in my punchs since starting this but it may just be results from my regular training.

khaney said:
I do drop sets sometimes when training arms. Start with a dumbbell that you will fail with in the 8-10 rep range, immediately drop the weight 30% then 8-10 reps, continue down the dumbbells until I reach the 5 pounders. It has helped me add lean mass to my arms but no noticeable strength gains over regular sets. I have noticed some speed increases in my punchs since starting this but it may just be results from my regular training.

Carnal do you see what you have started!!?;)

I said DOWNSET not dropset.

Drop set=:eek::eek::eek:gage for fitness women at the gym

12 reps with 315 on the BP=macho downset for me

I have been known to do a couple of "burnout sets" after a heavy squat workout, Just incase anyone cared, which I'm sure they didn't. HAha, but in all reality, I very rarely use them as I have not found them all that effective for me.

WOW Carny, do you have an informational pamphlet or newsletter that I can subscribe to so that I may become as macho as you? :wink:

The good thing about my workout is that it works for me and, if no one else likes it, they don't have to do it. :D

khaney said:
WOW Carny, do you have an informational pamphlet or newsletter that I can subscribe to so that I may become as macho as you? :wink:

The good thing about my workout is that it works for me and, if no one else likes it, they don't have to do it. :D
No, unfortunatly he does not come out with pamphlets on how to lift properly and most people here are to busy to use the search function. Therefore, it looks as if you will remain your unmacho, old self.

CarnalSalvation said:
Then you can count me among the jackasses too, because I do 2 8-12 rep sets close to failure after my main benching is over.
Drop sets to failure and heavy assistance sets to near-failure are not the same thing, Carnal, I don't see what got your panties in a bunch.

Back