brusing question??

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just started training BJJ a week ago,and i'm kinda soft. after my 1st week, i have all kinds or bruises on my shoulders, arms, legs wrists. The main reason i'm even doing BJJ is to lose weight, not really to fight.. So i have some questions.

Will the bruising go away as my body gets harder?

Is it common to bruise easily in the beginning?

Am i training at too difficult a gym? I currently train at the Las vegas combat club.. www.lvcombatclub.com

Heath Herring (pride), Frank Mir (UFC), Alex Schoenauer (the Ultimate fighter) all train there. is that where i should be as a beginner?

yes it is normal to bruise easily in the begining. if your looking to get good at bjj you are probably at the right place those guys are good, however, if your not looking to compete ever then it might not be the best place

Yeah, I also had many bruises when i first started off. I agree with Killa, if rour not looking to compete it might not be the best choice.

But then again Frank Mir & Heath Herring train there so thats pretty cool.

competing or not, you're training for health and probably self defense.....training with top notch guys will only make you better at the game, so if you ever need to use it....you'll probably be ok when it comes time.

VegasFighter said:
I have all kinds or bruises on my shoulders, arms, legs wrists.
Will the bruising go away as my body gets harder?
Is it common to bruise easily in the beginning?

5+ years of Judo and I still get these all the time. You will bruise throughout your grappling career. Pic taken tonight from class a week ago. It's a picture of my bicep.

Bubble Boy said:
5+ years of Judo and I still get these all the time. You will bruise throughout your grappling career. Pic taken tonight from class a week ago. It's a picture of my bicep.

nice....cauliflower ears and bruises are the sign of a warrior :eek:

me, i'm not a warrior, as I only have a few bruises.

When I first started training, I had a choice between a more traditional BJJ dojo where there were plenty o white belt love goin on, or a place where there were guys that were a bigger, stronger, and technically proficient than I was. Because of money issues, I trained at the place where the guys were bigger, stronger, and more technically proficient than I was. I later went back to the traditional BJJ dojo and I can smoke everyone I roll with.

Glad I made the right choice :)

I looked diseased when I first started bjj. I used to get so bruised, especially in my inner thighs. Since most of the people were new I would end up drilling guard passes with people who thought that applying pressure to the thighs to break the guar meant elbowing them repeatedly in the leg. I was a stubborn bitch and wouldn't let them pass even if it was painful. See for yourself.

those are not bruises thats dirt from not showering

soon when you get into it, youll stop bitching and wear your bruises with pride.

yeah man, that shit will happen. And i don't think you're school is too tough, after you get beat up for a couple months you'll improve a lot, trust me.

Look at it this way, if you go to the gym and havent been for a year and work hard for a week you will be sore all over. Same thing with Bjj or grappling in general, if you havent been doing it or kept up with it your going to be hurting and bruising more often then once your body gets acclimated to it.. just takes a little time and those things wont bother you one bit...

yeh, i'm sore everywhrere. but thats cause i went from 0-100. my shoulders kill, and thieghs...

Back