Breaking down the potential replacements for MG

Official

OT Newcomer of the Year 2017 Nominee
@Green
Reaction score
Mike Goldberg. He's a good guy so fuck you. Yes he was a goober sometimes. You're an asshole if you don't wish him a fond adieu.

Here's the Official list of replacements the UFC is considering along with notes.

Jim Rome -- He's a dickcheese. Won't work.
Mario Lopez -- He's the hottest guy on this list and you can't teach that.
Jon Anik - Boring but would probably do a good job of not getting in Rogan's way.
Mauro Ranallo - Nah.
Chael Sonnen - Yes
Eddie Bravo - This would be the best possible solution. We don't need a traditional play-by-play/color commentary team. Joe can do all that shit, and then Eddie can just say whatever. Imagine Eddie Bravo commentating a Damien Maia fight. Mmmmm. This won't ever happen though.

PREDICTION - someone not on this list.

Dan Hardy is awesome. Pick him. His breakdowns for fights are fun fantastic.

First off your right about goldie, he's a dumbass buts he's our dumbass god dammit, but come on, edgy brah would be a fucking disaster

Eddie Bravo would be a disaster, hes fucking crazy. He knows heaps about BJJ but his overall fight IQ and understanding isnt that great, especially not to be a commentator, they need someone who can retain large amounts of statistics and quote them at will.

Eddie and Joe given free license to commentate on the UFC officially just has hilarious potential to me.

He's more of the analyst role, where as goldberg was a color commentator. They'll get someone who can just play off of Rogan and give input here and there, I think.

He's more of the analyst role, where as goldberg was a color commentator. They'll get someone who can just play off of Rogan and give input here and there, I think.

If they want to get more professional, then they need to go with somebody that knows the sport. Look at the all the major sporting world broadcasts, they do a great job. They need to get rid of the color commentator and be more professional.

Goldberg was play-by-play. Rogan is the color commentator.

They definitely want their traditional play by play team when angry sponsors begin calling for their money back.

Bas, Dan Hardy, Chael Brian Stann, Cruz, DC none of these fighters/former fighters would be good for the role. They are COLOR COMMENTATORS whereas guys like Goldie, Anik, and Ranallo are PLAY-BY-PLAY COMMENTATORS. There is a difference.

Mauro is the best name you listed and the most qualified. I'm probably in the minority, but I would love it. Since the job is for calling the fights and not color commentary, they need someone with knowledge and experience. I wonder how much more he is making doing pro wrestling. A former fighter like Sonnen would be a better option than guys like Jim Rome and Mario Lopez, but I can see him pushing his agenda, and would be probably better suited as a color guy as well. I don't really know.

Signed up just to make this comment.

How about Miesha, or Holly Holm? A technical fighter who was or is still in the game, in other words. Someone who has had to hone their skill, rather than rely on some heroic qualities. If they're an active fighter, just put in a replacement when they're fighting. It would make for an interesting change up. It would also attract a lot more female viewers, broadening the appeal of the sport. Make the analyst be someone who has had to earn their stripes.

Goldberg was an adequate seatfiller. I won't miss him necessarily but it doesn't mean we won't get someone worse; which is to say if we end up with a Gus Johnson level grade-A moron who doesn't know anything about the sport on a technical, historical, or dramatic field, don't look shocked.

I'd personally like to see John Gooden get it. I like what he brings to the booth.

Basically everybody on your list would be fucking terrible for a variety of reasons btw.

Jim Ross will be yelling Slobber Knocker by summer.

Yeah, but he's more the colour guy. And I really like that guy. I would rather it be Rogan leaving. Hardy could work with Goldie, or Anik.

But, I'm not sure Rogan, and Hardy would work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back