Breakfast

Henry Swanson

Excitement’s my game
@plutonium
Reaction score
In an attempt to front load my daily caloric intake I'm trying to eat a heartier breakfast.

This article just reminded me of what everyone has told me.

TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation

5. Get Your Breakfast On

If breakfast isn't your biggest meal of the day, then your ****bolism isn't as high as it should be. Before you worry about macronutrient ratios, calories, energy systems training, or any other component of body transformation, make breakfast the most calorically-dense meal of your day. Eat leftover pizza if you have to. Yes, it's that important.

Just a couple of questions. I've often read that one should consume breakfast no later than 1 hour after waking up. Why 1 hour, what if I wait two hours, does it really make a difference. Should I take it more as, "eat something as soon as possible after you wake up?"

Roughly how many calories should it be?

Here's the major problem I have, I am NEVER hungry in the morning, NEVER EVER. It usually takes me at least 3-4 hours after I wake up to get any sort of hunger going. So do shakes really suffice in this case? I suppose I could try and FORCE down a solid meal but it would probably take me forever to finish it.

I personally doubt that waiting two hours after you wake up, compared to one hour will have any huge dent in your ****bolism. I've always been really hungry in the mornings, compared to throughout the day. I'm about to go chow down on 4 eggs, and 6-7 turkey sausages after eating some soup about two hours ago.

Today I got up at six, had a cup of coffee. 2 hours later I managed to force back a bowl of yogurt and a bagel with cream cheese.

The IF approach worked for me when I was working a labour job. But it's a lot tougher working a desk that way.

Today I got up at six, had a cup of coffee. 2 hours later I managed to force back a bowl of yogurt and a bagel with cream cheese.

The IF approach worked for me when I was working a labour job. But it's a lot tougher working a desk that way.

Oh dear

On a typical morning after I've done some training (or even if not these days :redface:) I will eat the following:

-2-3 eggs
-2 sausages
-2 bits of bacon
-2 potato cakes/2 waffles
-a bread roll
-2 hash browns

-a bowel of mini weetabix, coco pops and swiss style museli and a pint of milk.

Some times I'd swap the museli for frozen berries, yoghurt, milk, frozen spinach and when I have then 2 egg yolks.

edit- I forgot the oats and to say that it is all blended together, but x covered it

Not a clue of how many calories, but I can't look at food until 2pm (after eating at 08:30)

edit- theres usually 2 pints of tea with that as well

If you want easy calories, whole grains are the way to go (the exact reason I would NOT suggest them for someone trying to lose weight). Some kind of whole grains (old fashioned OATs for me) plus baking cocoa, chocolate whey protein, and PB is the staple of the XTrainer Power Breakfast :D Tons of calories, protein, and antioxidants, only one bowl to clean. Delicious, too.

If I have more time or just want something different, I'll do the eggs in the microwave thing, or some sort of yogurt concoction. Yogurt is great with fruit, ground flaxseeds, sugar free jam, peanut/almond butter, Muscle Milk, whey, raisins, and just about everything else.

If you did want to use a shake, I think it would be fine provided that, in addition to the pedicatable protein/carbs that most MRPs are made of, you added spinach, milled flaxseeds, fruit, etc, so you get some of the benefits of a whole food meal that you simply can't scoop out of an MRP jug.

Or, you could make your own shake from scratch. Milk and whey or Muscle Milk+
-PB/Almond butter
-Spinach
-Fruit
-Flaxseeds
-Additional carbs, like honey, if needed.

Don't forget your multi and fish oil.

Side note: I am always STARVING in the morning.

There is a difference between a "protein shake" and a meal shake, what Berardi refers to as a Super Shake. Thus, there is nothing wrong with starting of the day with a shake as long as it is well rounded. Xtrainer covered what that means. Good work as usual, X.

I was thinking some MM in the morning with my usual ground flax and oats added.

dude some days i just wake up hungry

its cool when the only reasons u wake up are to piss and eat

my morning shakes have been pretty monstrous lately, ive just been throwin everythin in there, and i have been gaining weight like crazy

fruit ftw!

MM is what I have when I wake up. Ill throw in an egg or 2 sometimes. Then when I get to work, which is about an hour...I eat my spinach egg omelet. I used to not eat breakfast for a few hours after waking up but I guess the more I started eating breakfast when I wake up, the more my body got used to it.

I was thinking some MM in the morning with my usual ground flax and oats added.

I actually did this today, minus the oats. Very quick and easy, and I threw a side of fresh cherries and strawberries with it.

As far as eating or not eating breakfast, there's people on both sides---the hardcore, eat-within-the-hour-after waking, you "have" to eat every 3 hour group, and the IF group. I think there's merits to both ways, and what makes or breaks it is what you eat, not when you eat it, and your overall daily caloric intake.

In other words, personal preference.

Maybe it's due to the fact that you get up too early. Your body craves sleep, and not food, you just feel like going back to bed. When I have to get up earlier than I naturally would it takes me a lot of time to feel hungry.

Do you guys agree with the idea that your breakfast must be the biggest meal of your day at any cost?

There are no excuses for eating junk food.

Maybe it's due to the fact that you get up too early. Your body craves sleep, and not food, you just feel like going back to bed. When I have to get up earlier than I naturally would it takes me a lot of time to feel hungry.

Do you guys agree with the idea that your breakfast must be the biggest meal of your day at any cost?

There are no excuses for eating junk food.

Well the thing is I naturally tend to get up early. Even on my days off I still get up at around 6:30 am.

when i have time in the morning i try to make spinach omlettes:

3 eggs
spinach
chopped onions
shredded cheese
a bit of milk

Well the thing is I naturally tend to get up early. Even on my days off I still get up at around 6:30 am.

That shouldn't be a problem. I usually eat right before bed, and I'm an early riser (5:00 on weekdays, usually 6-something on weekends). I still wake up starving.

Part of the reason, I'd guess, is that I've conditioned myself to want food every 3 hours. It's like clockwork. If I don't get food just about every three hours, I get rather unpleasant.

So, when I sleep for 6-8 hours, my body wakes up pretty much screaming for food.

I would guess that if you're not hungry in the morning, perhaps you're not eating enough/often enough during the day? Or maybe you're eating the bulk of the day's calories late at nihgt?

I also have trouble eating right after I get up. It's like my stomach isn't awake yet.

I always have to eat right away in the morning.

But I never eat big. (ex. Ian)

Like MM was saying it comes down to personal preference.

I eat either toast/juice, and then have just a small protein shake or I just go with a protein shake/oats.

try drinking a liter of water right after you wake up. half an hour later it will be easier for you to eat, you won't have to force yourself as much.

today's breakfast
5 eggs, sunny side up
2 slices ezekiel bread
some tomato juice
spinach
coffee with skim milk and dried cranberries

In an attempt to front load my daily caloric intake I'm trying to eat a heartier breakfast.

This article just reminded me of what everyone has told me.

TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation

5. Get Your Breakfast On

If breakfast isn't your biggest meal of the day, then your ****bolism isn't as high as it should be. Before you worry about macronutrient ratios, calories, energy systems training, or any other component of body transformation, make breakfast the most calorically-dense meal of your day. Eat leftover pizza if you have to. Yes, it's that important.

Just a couple of questions. I've often read that one should consume breakfast no later than 1 hour after waking up. Why 1 hour, what if I wait two hours, does it really make a difference. Should I take it more as, "eat something as soon as possible after you wake up?"

Roughly how many calories should it be?

Here's the major problem I have, I am NEVER hungry in the morning, NEVER EVER. It usually takes me at least 3-4 hours after I wake up to get any sort of hunger going. So do shakes really suffice in this case? I suppose I could try and FORCE down a solid meal but it would probably take me forever to finish it.

I don't think it is as important as eating something like pizza in the morning, in fact if pizza is your option skip for hours if needed. As for the camp that thinks you must eat or drink something, that side has a lot of proof too.

Individual preferance is the biggest key. I have some clients that love IF and the concept of it (climbers, etc) then again I have people that won't even try IF, which is fine with me.

As for no longer IF ing, if you aren't there could be some merit to making sure you get in at least a shake in the morning. MM is ok, anything that is a blend with whey and a longer protein would work well.

I've always just ate whenever I was hungry. But i'm trying to not eat later at night these days (acid reflux) so I need to get my calories in earlier.

Well i use to be like you i never felt hungry when i got up and had to force food down my throat.

Then when i decided to sort my diet out and bulk up and ate every 3hours my appetite totally changed. Now by the time i get out bed im absolutly starving and go through quite a large amount of food for breakfast.

So i think like xtrainer said it is about conditioning your body into wanting food. I gets hungry every 2 to 3 hours up until a bout 1pm then it tends to slow down abit and eat with slightly bigger gaps. ( i get up at 7am btw)

Back