Brazilian kick

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by StudentLoan, Apr 30, 2008.

1. StudentLoan

StudentLoan Banned Banned

I first saw Feitosa do this kick about 2 years ago. I never really cared too much for it but after seeing him rock Schilt with it I decided I'd try to learn it too. I about a month after I learned it I joined an MMA gym in my area. During the MT class sparring sessions, I can land this kick about 90% of the time on everyone there. Even the guys who are much better than myself and it seems I'm the only one who knows how to do it there (I've seen a TKD guy do a variation of it on the bags however). Our instructor doesn't teach this kick but it seems to be so effective against MT guys because they're all used to dealing with absolutes. If it's a HK it's an HK, there's no deviation, same with body kicks and LK's. So has anyone else tried this with any success? If you're unfamiliar with the kick I speak of check out Glaube Feitosa on Youtube.

2. spirez

spirez Purple Belt

3. MMAchine419

MMAchine419 Guest

I love this kick... I added it into my sparring arsenal about 6 months ago. I do Muay Thai so it really throws alot of people off, usually they think i'm going for a teep but i'll just fling it up there.

When I first started trying it I couldn't even get my foot past my waist, I thought it required great flexibility but its really not the case. Once you get the movement of your planted foot correct it is quick and powerful and relatively easy.

4. WNYguy

WNYguy Green Belt

Glaube is and has been my standup hero for years. Not sure which K1, maybe 03 he KO'd his way threw everyone with the BHK. My favorite kick and he is by far the best user of it I have ever seen.

WAR Feitosa!!

YouTube - Glaube Feitosa Highlights

5. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

When I was in Thailand last summer there was a German kid that was nailing me with that kick. I knew it was coming, but he still caught me with it...lol

6. StudentLoan

That's it, thanks. Sorry I'm at work and can't access Youtube.

Awesome! Yeah it's definitely not a flexibility thing. If you can land a HK you can do the BK. Also you're correct about the teep, as stated before about 90% of the time they anticipate the teep and eat it. The 10% it fails is usually because they've eaten about 4-5 BK's but one or two more push kicks allows them to go unanswered again.

7. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

Looks like a karate "roundhouse" with a thai "round kick" follow through.

8. GCSD Fighter

GCSD Fighter Red Belt

Essentially, yes. It's like a feint to the body then the strike to the face.

I love Glaube's fights too. His kick are powerful and his hands are great. Did anyone see his last fight? His hands looked great in rd #2.

9. Maroli

Maroli Brown Belt

there is a similar technique in thai boxing, using the cutting kick

10. aries

aries Silver Belt

Hey isn't that clip the same Kyryllo that posts on here?

Great kick btw. I'll have to start using training it.

11. Kyryllo

Kyryllo Kia kaha e hine!

Lucerne, Switzerland (via Cologne, Germany)
    Yes he is.

When I happen to spar guys in kickboxing I can nail people with that at will, I even got bored with it and consider it for my self "a forbidden technique" as it is too effective. I'm not sparring world class people though.

12. koreankid6413

koreankid6413 Brown Belt

yea they're both fairly similar with the follow through. The one i use in sparring is a variation of both the brazilian and cutting kick. I load it like a brazilian yet the contact and follow through and angle are more like a cutting kick. I've landed it to peoples necks and temples and floored a couple people with it, it's a pretty good kick to use especially if your flexible

13. indigoluxe

indigoluxe Yellow Belt

Definitely rate it's effectiveness as a tool in a bigger arsenal. There's a guy I sometimes spar with at MT that for some unknown reason can only seem to throw brazilian kicks (I've never seen him throw a thai kick). Saw him catch one of our better fighters in the head with it, definitely surprised the fighter. It's all he throws though, so if you know it's coming, they're not too hard to avoid, but when they are randomly thrown in, definitely very off-putting.

14. BJJK1

BJJK1 Green Belt

it's almost like a baseball pitcher with a little hesitation in his delivery...messes up your timing.

i've seen kyokushin and traditional karate guys done it.

15. nhlkdog411

nhlkdog411 Green Belt

holy shit one of my friends who trains tang soo do (but the place he goes definitely trains hands heavily cuz his hands are lethal and he's done very well in some amateur kickboxing comps) does that to me ALL the freaking time wen we screw around sparring..he pulls up short obviously but it fakes me out so well

16. StudentLoan

I just want to say thanks a bunch, that how to video really helped me figure out the mechanics. You're right though, it's almost too easy to land it if you just randomly throw it with either leg. But it's still fun as hell!

War Glaube!

Also, his last fight was great, K-1 has the absolute best replays. The super close up of Roberts' face when the last BK lands and consciousness goes out is beautiful. Too bad Schilt is just so damn large, Feitosa in '08!

17. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

Oh ho, I forgot about you Kyryllo... maybe you can help with something.

I was watching a kyokushin guy named Ewerton Teixeira train and I think he trains with Feitosa. The guy holding pads for him had leg pads (thigh protectors), big thick ones, that were secured with a harness/belt. It looked really good for practiciing high/low combos quickly.

Do you know what it's called or where one could be purchased?
    I've looked around for a picture, but could no find one.

The show was K-1 Battle Scramble.

18. Sohei

Sohei A Smocking gun

It just looks like a fake-doubel roundhouse

19. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

I have nothing to add as far as your question goes, but I'd like to note that my roommate and I have made a running gag of "I don't want to talk about Schilt anymore..." and pretty much anything the masked doctor said when he was pressing for who the 'mystery' fighter would be.

20. mego

mego Green Belt

kyryllo has got the slick kicks