• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brazil Vs USA

It's only speculation by that point.
Wasn't there the same thread like two years ago?? Since that time the champions from Brazil have been less, not more.

Yes, they are. Everyone with Russian passport is a Russian. Want it or not...
With this logic, Puerto Ricans are amercians too, right? Get out of here with this bs

Khabib and Zabit aren't Russians mate
khabibs_father_with_the_russian_flag_at_ufc_208.jpg
islam-makhachev-of-russia-speaks-with-leo-kuntz-after-their-bout-picture-id474546228

Meh...

DJ is the best 125er in the planet

Cejudo is the best 135er in the planet

And they are both americans along with Usman so they are still #1. UFC being cheap and not paying their fighters well has lost the best fighters on both of those divisions.

Take away WMMA and Brazil has no fighter in any division that can be considered the #1 fighter, Ruissia at least has Khabib...
Why take away WMMA?

Why take away WMMA?
Because is a completely different thing. USA is the best in the world at female football (soccer). Would you consider them one of the TOP football countries in the world because of that? LMAO

<{chips}>

Because is a completely different thing. USA is the best in the world at female football (soccer). Would you consider them one of the TOP football countries in the world because of that? LMAO

<{chips}>
Yes I would. What a sexist!

I definitely don't agree with that, it's an overplayed false narrative at this point. This sport is well past the point of infancy.

Infancy was 1993-2000 era. When one-dimensional fighters could excel. Even guys who are seemingly one dimensional now a days such as Khabib for example, aren't even close to as limited as Royce Gracie or Dan Severn.

This sport didn't just get "invented" like basketball or football did in their respective origins, in 1993 or during vale tudo days prior. No, this sport is built upon martial arts and combat sports that have existed for hundreds of years prior. This is simply the filtration of the effective techniques and mixing of the best arts/techniques applied to MMA rule sets.
You are missing his point. The sport is indeed in it's infancy. It's not about "techniques", we are talking about countries. Only a few countries have serious MMA gyms. I'm from Argentina, the fourth biggest city in the country. No MMA gyms here. There are many boxing gyms though. I'm sure is the same for a lot of other countries.

I remember hearing a few years ago that Brazilian MMA is dead.

Mma is global now, it will be hard to one country dominate the scene, even 2 countries like brazil and us did before.

Do not forget Brazil's home to one of the All-Time Great fighters.
<BC1>

You are missing his point. The sport is indeed in it's infancy. It's not about "techniques", we are talking about countries. Only a few countries have serious MMA gyms. I'm from Argentina, the fourth biggest city in the country. No MMA gyms here. There are many boxing gyms though. I'm sure is the same for a lot of other countries.

No it's not.

It's not about techniques...? Okay, then is it about the athletic talent pool? The meta? Popularity? Money?

I don't care about money or popularity necessarily, but the UFC is obviously legitimate in those two areas despite all the fighter pay stuff. What matters is technique, meta, talent pool.

Clearly the training, skills, talent pool, meta --- have all increased dramatically since 1993-2000. Now can you seriously tell me that they've increased dramatically from 2015-2020 present day? No they haven't. There have been colossal leaps in the sport and they mainly occurred between 1993-2009 roughly in different increments.

As to your situation...there's little to no relevance there. You have no MMA gyms in the 4th biggest city in Argentina. Okay. Your country cares about soccer and that's it, everything else is niche. I'm generalizing and I'm not expert but I'm pretty close enough to right there. Are there tons of Football (NFL), NHL (hockey), NBA (basketball), MLB (baseball) facilities and stadiums/fields there? Are tons of people playing that in Argentina? No they aren't.

Argentina in this case is sort of a strawman. It has no bearing or reflection upon the sport of MMA (generally) just as it obviously doesn't for the NFL or NHL, or really for basketball or baseball (outside of few guys like Manu Ginobilli for ex)

No offense but Argentina is next to irrelevant anyway. It's not like every country in the world is going to be a powerhouse and produce athletes for each specific sport. The only country that does that is the US basically, and they struggle for soccer/futbol and still have tons of imports by default in other sports.

Modern mma is geared towards wrestlers which is why South Americans and Asians are struggling. It's not surprising that the easter Europeans and Americans are dominating. Adesanya has that rare ability that makes it difficult to take him down. It's like guys can't even setup shots.

I remember hearing a few years ago that Brazilian MMA is dead.

I think Moraes, Aldo, Burns, Costa are a better argument for why that narrative is stupid. Toss in Maia of recent past, and obviously now Fig + Nunes.

But at the same time this is kind of the biggest joke possible of "3 champions". It's two people, one holds a women's belt over the worst division in the entire UFC, and then the male champion holds it in the worst male division by far after the two top 125ers retired or were traded...lol

Modern mma is geared towards wrestlers which is why South Americans and Asians are struggling. It's not surprising that the easter Europeans and Americans are dominating. Adesanya has that rare ability that makes it difficult to take him down. It's like guys can't even setup shots.

Why is it geared towards wrestling? Not sure what you mean by that. If anything the rules make grappling less effective than it could be (back of head strikes, 12-6 elbows, restricted grabs, etc). Also refs stand fights up retardedly at times.

Why is it geared towards wrestling? Not sure what you mean by that. If anything the rules make grappling less effective than it could be (back of head strikes, 12-6 elbows, restricted grabs, etc). Also refs stand fights up retardedly at times.

As long as you are "working" it is unlikely you get stood up. It also takes a ton of time off the clock, and saps your opponents energy. A pure striker against a wrestler also loses a ton of their striking skill because they're thinking about the take down. I wish they'd allow knees to a grounded opponent because it would at least make the wrestlers spam their takedown less, and make them pay for being sloppy.

As long as you are "working" it is unlikely you get stood up. It also takes a ton of time off the clock, and saps your opponents energy. A pure striker against a wrestler also loses a ton of their striking skill because they're thinking about the take down. I wish they'd allow knees to a grounded opponent because it would at least make the wrestlers spam their takedown less, and make them pay for being sloppy.

I mean...knees to a grounded opponent would only make wrestlers/grapplers better. I don't think that helps strikers at all. That allows someone like Usman who cage-fucks someone to go for high-impact strikes with little risk, which are otherwise banned. Someone like Khabib or Usman could easily just knee people in the head as they try to get up off the cage.

Back