Brazil trip pics

Nice pics, how long have you been training? Do you train no-gi as well or strictly gi?

Thanks, guys.

Rainy, I compete in and enjoy both gi and no-gi.

I started training BJJ in February 1998 - thus, about 7 1/2 years.

That acai looks awesome. Why no babes in the Copacabana beach pic? All I see is some guy in a speedo.

does anyone know if a team like chute box or btt in brazil allows people from the states to come in and train for a few days

I would love to go and see Brazil, not to mention get to train there. I just don't know how comfortable I would be outside of the US in todays political climate.

Oh man, such great pics! I was looking forward to each pic. So great time huh? Where did you stay? How much was it? How far away was it to the tournament and from Gracie Barra? Man, I am getting anxious to go as soon as possible. I got to talk to you about it.

cool pics, you're a black belt? I'm star struck. That's like a celebrity to me. Do you train or fight in MMA as well?

Nice ears man ! Seriously great pics. I've got a similar bunch of pics just like everyone who'se been to train in brazil.

Great pictures ..............Looks like you had one heck of a good time ..........

jjmuaythaiguy,

I stayed at a the JW Marriott in Copacabana. It's an expensive hotel and the ONLY way I could afford it is because one of the guys I went with knew someone and we got the "hook-up" for a much reduced price.

Copacabana is about a 20-25 minute taxi ride (depending on traffic) from Barra da Tijuca (location of Gracie Barra). It is also about a 20-25 minute taxi ride in the other direction from Copacabana to the event location - i.e., The Tijuca Tenis Clube in Tijuca (not to be confused with Barra da Tijuca).

Intsead of a taxi, you can take the subway from Copacabana to the Tenis Clube. It takes a little bit more time (maybe 30 minutes?), but you can't beat the subway price. The taxi is about R$ 25 ( about $10 USA) and the subway is only R$2.25 (about $1.00 USA). Also, the subway system is new, clean, and safe and you don't have to worry about a taxi driver taking you on the scenic route.

David_Jacobs said:
jjmuaythaiguy,

I stayed at a the JW Marriott in Copacabana. It's an expensive hotel and the ONLY way I could afford it is because one of the guys I went with knew someone and we got the "hook-up" for a much reduced price.

Copacabana is about a 20-25 minute taxi ride (depending on traffic) from Barra da Tijuca (location of Gracie Barra). It is also about a 20-25 minute taxi ride in the other direction from Copacabana to the event location - i.e., The Tijuca Tenis Clube in Tijuca (not to be confused with Barra da Tijuca).

Intsead of a taxi, you can take the subway from Copacabana to the Tenis Clube. It takes a little bit more time (maybe 30 minutes?), but you can't beat the subway price. The taxi is about R$ 25 ( about $10 USA) and the subway is only R$2.25 (about $1.00 USA). Also, the subway system is new, clean, and safe and you don't have to worry about a taxi driver taking you on the scenic route.

Thanks Dave for the reply. I am training hard and if Relson feels I am ready in 2006 I am going. Trained last night with no fans on and switched from my single summer weave to the double after the single was soaked with sweat. The Hawaii NAGAs are cancelled but Romolo (Rickson Black Belt) might have a tournament then Luis Heredia (another Rickson Blackbelt) is supposed to have a tournament and I consider those warmups to the Worlds. I really appreciate it the info on everything there, subway system sounds like a winner to me. I am really trying to improve and well besides sparring, the only way to see what needs to be improve is competing.

When you say the JW Marriot is expensive without the "hookups" what are we talking about? Thanks again.

Put it this way, the Marriott is a hotel to stay at if money is not an issue for you. In other words, if you have to ask...

FWIW: I think the regular price for the basic room is around $250 (plus or minus) / night.

There are plenty of decent hotels down there that are much more affordable and run about $80 / night.

Well money is kinda tight but in Hawaii I must have an aunt, uncle or cousin that works at a Marriot in Waikiki and maybe they could get me a "hooked up" price too. Hawaiians got big family working in all the hotels. I am guessing the employees of Marriot all over the world could get a discount off of the rack rate.

I am hoping for that because I am kind of a big guy and need comfort of air conditioning, hot shower and clean bed. If the other places got this for $80 a night and is as close to the events then its all good. Hate to hound you about it since you just got back, just excited and want to plan it out ahead of time.

Man, I am psyched about it. Thanks Dave and Oh by the way caught your pics in the Grappling magazine. Awesome! Congrats on both.

Dave,
great pics i am sure man, but i got in on them too late, they have the dreadede bandwidth message on them, i plan to try to go to the masters and seniors next year, if you go , we will have to hit the rio nightlife.
did you see hawks matches? i am trying to get some training time with him next week.

damn i want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!@!@!@!@!@!@$!%#$!^%*(!@&!%&*)@!)&^!@&#&*(!^