Brachialis

joshetc

butthole hurts from teh gay
Reaction score
According to wikipedia, Brachialis is one of the most powerful flexors of the elbow. According to exrx.net, there are no ways to target this muscle without bicep curl variations: http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ArmWt.html#anchor1910925

This makes no sense to me. Is this just another reputable website with terrible information? If so, what workouts should be added to that list, that target this muscle? According to Scott Mendelson, this is an essential muscle to the Bench Press, and I assume other pressing movements (probably for downward control). Just something I've been thinking about for the last day or so.. and figured someone here might have something to add.

Obviously chin-ups and variants will be on that list, anything else we should be concerned with?

I think the brachialis is actually the primary muscle involved in curling, contrary to what the monkeys will say. I know that back when I did curls I'd only get DOMS near my elbow, which I assume was the brachialis.

Hammer curls. The brachialis lies under the biceps, so its not a real visible muscle. I don't think it does the supinating action of the forearm that the biceps do, so its not effected by wrist position. So with hammer curls, since your biceps aren't in the strongest position, the brachialis has to do a lot of the work. This is just going by something I think I read a long time ago, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

Hammer curls. The brachialis lies under the biceps, so its not a real visible muscle. I don't think it does the supinating action of the forearm that the biceps do, so its not effected by wrist position. So with hammer curls, since your biceps aren't in the strongest position, the brachialis has to do a lot of the work. This is just going by something I think I read a long time ago, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

Yeh, I thought hammer curls would be one of the recommended workouts. Scott Mendelson recommended them, as well. It is more of an isolation workout, though. It's odd to me that there is not much information on a seemingly important muscle.

I just read the Mendelson article and for the life of me I can't understand why he says the rear delts or the brachialis are a prime mover in the bench press. They perform the opposite damn motion to the bench press! Maybe if he has to PULL the weight down to his chest because of his bench shirt. Just because someone is big and strong, doesn't mean they know jack shit about how the body works. Elephants are big and strong too.

I just read the Mendelson article and for the life of me I can't understand why he says the rear delts or the brachialis are a prime mover in the bench press. They perform the opposite damn motion to the bench press! Maybe if he has to PULL the weight down to his chest because of his bench shirt. Just because someone is big and strong, doesn't mean they know jack shit about how the body works. Elephants are big and strong too.

I think hes just using terrible wording, and trying to focus people on lesser focused muscles that have something to do with bench press. I know not every super strong guy is a genious, but its just something I'm considering. Even if it isn't related to bench press, the muscle must have some functional use.

Yeh, I thought hammer curls would be one of the recommended workouts. Scott Mendelson recommended them, as well. It is more of an isolation workout, though.

It's not an isolation "workout", it's just a movemet to throw in at the end of your workouts. Hammer curls are the best way to hit them.

pull ups work brachialis fairly well i believe...as do neutral/commando pull ups....

all the curls with the neutral position of the hand isolate the muscle also...ie hammer curls...

Can't explain it and am too lazy to google, but I've read several times that if you want to gain strength on your BP do BORs. Maybe it's just a question of balance of power.

It's not an isolation "workout", it's just a movemet to throw in at the end of your workouts. Hammer curls are the best way to hit them.

"Isolation movement", then.

Who gives a fuck? You torn your brachialis? If not keep doing heavy rowing and chinning exercises and the muscles will sort themselves out.

+1 for a couple of sets of hammer curls at the end of a workout.

Who gives a fuck? You torn your brachialis? If not keep doing heavy rowing and chinning exercises and the muscles will sort themselves out.

+1 for a couple of sets of hammer curls at the end of a workout.

Well, I'm not looking for isolation workouts. It just seems odd that supposadly the only way to get a workout with them is curls. Its mostly just a curiousity thing, and for once something that hasn't already been debated on S&P. I think rows is a real good suggestion, though.

Here's a thought, if it felxes the elbow, do exercises that flex the elbow and you'll probably hit the damn thing.

Smashius is cranky today. Did you miss tea time?

I think the brachialis may be well stimulated by exercise that require its use to keep the elbow from becoming hyperextended as opposed to requiring flexion for execution. All I know is when I do KB swings with a toss to the opposite hand I get the same bicep soreness near my elbow as when I do Hammer curls. I suppose catching it with an overhand (reverse curl) grip doesn't hurt matters.

Back