Rumored Boxing's style has changed

PBAC

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Have noticed this happening as it really does feel like a new generation and layout/decor of the rings are taking on a much darker tones and appearance. Between the marketing for Usyk v Chisora and the promo style for misfits it seems to be taking on a more unhinged darker cultural tone. Ironically Usyk vs Chisora was the Halloween fight.

I don't think I'm just imagining it. I tended to think of 70 to 90 era of boxing as bright, fun colours. The 2000s came across as blue in design generally reflecting the europeanisation of the sport, quite a conservative tone for an era which some viewed itself as a chess game using the firsts as it was mostly dominated by eastern Europe and Mayweather.

Now idk it takes on more of a bad boy appeal and guys like Jake and his problem child motto seems to be embracing the scene as a sport for misfits (no pun.) There is even this open carelessness, an anarchic way they are just allowing fighters from other sports to hop in and hop out of the ring. There is less focus on pure boxing and often, unflattering, brawling is being encouraged. It really became noticeable during the pandemic in those dark empty arena but it seems the over all tone has remained. Tattoos have become normalised. The way the HW clashes are being thrown around is also mirroring this chaos. It took Wlad most his career to recover from the Brewster loss. Joshua get KO'd clean, wins one fight and we just forget it and move on. Fury v Ngannou would have been disastrous in the previous decade, but now we're colectively like ''yes clap clap carry on''

2020s darkness

2000s blues

1990s reds

Last edited:
Klitschko vs Joshua happened in the 2010s not the 2000s. Joshua has also never been KO'd clean. He was stopped (TKO'd) by Ruiz in the first fight. The reason we moved on from it is because Joshua immediately avenged that loss in his next fight.

Probably becuase most TVs today have much more definition than ones from a generation ago.

I learnt a lot about boxing from the red budweiser rings with that yellow tinge the tungsten lighting and early digital cameras imprinted on everything.

Now everything is so clean and shot in white light, it looks so clinical.

I work in the film industry and think the clinical look we achieve a lot of the time won't stand up against the test of time. I think that old film look of the 50s is nostalgic, and the digital movement of the late 80s into the 2000s has an interesting look. Now everything just looks 'perfect' or 'real' and sooner or later we will move away from it for that very reason.

I learnt a lot about boxing from the red budweiser rings with that yellow tinge the tungsten lighting and early digital cameras imprinted on everything.

Now everything is so clean and shot in white light, it looks so clinical.

I work in the film industry and think the clinical look we achieve a lot of the time won't stand up against the test of time. I think that old film look of the 50s is nostalgic, and the digital movement of the late 80s into the 2000s has an interesting look. Now everything just looks 'perfect' or 'real' and sooner or later we will move away from it for that very reason.
I think I know what you mean. The hyperrealism is not an aesthetic per se but an interrogation into aesthetics, with no apparent purpose other than technological advancement.

I liked the retro 90s gamer vibe of the Knockout Chaos event

Back