Boxing pivot

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Token7, May 26, 2014.

1. Token7

Token7 Banned Banned

Hey everyone this is soemthing I been working on with trainer but wanted some extra advice on here since I know there's a different style on sherdog than most other gyms.

How do you correctly pivot while staying in good position I creat offense and defense?

Btw I've noticed I have been creating. Few more threads than usual. I am NOT a troll or anything like that this will be the last for a while just wanted to see some input on something taught so simple but I'm sure there's great details involved.

2. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Personally, I teach a very unusual style of pivoting compared to many many other trainers. So I'm just going to put this out there for others who may like to give their perspective.

Before answering how to pivot, first understand that it's become common practice for the body weight to lift, and the head to float towards the front foot while pivoting. This compromises defensive liability by giving up distance control. An unwise fighter may not be able to capitalize on it, but it's a glaring vulnerability to pivoting technique.

So take into consideration the question: How do you correctly pivot while staying in good position I creat offense and defense?

This could be rephrased as: "How do you pivot without raising your body weight and bringing the head too far over the front foot?"

3. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

Focusing on swinging the heel out instead of just pivoting has helped me keep my body weight from rising a long with bending the knees.

4. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Banned Banned

Dammit.

Just watched my pivot in a mirror. A bit more forward than I'd like to be...

5. Nuclearlandmine

Nuclearlandmine Shreddin' Double Yellow Card

Is this the heel pivot thing iirc you talked about before?

6. Sinister

*applauds* Good notion. It's more about moving the hip before the bodyweight moves, instead of attempting to move the entire body all at once. Or the really horrible way, moving the hip after the body moves.

However, that's one direction with one side (lead). There's another direction for that side and two more directions for the other.

Not necessarily, but I begin teaching all pivots on the heels to exaggerate keeping the weight back, until that becomes something the student doesn't think about.

7. Nuclearlandmine

Nuclearlandmine Shreddin' Double Yellow Card

I see. Just try out what you meant. It dawned to me that in order to pivot and keep the weight back you must not push off the front of the foot, but rather just use it as a point to swing the heel over, to move the hips first before the whole body.

8. Token7

Token7 Banned Banned

This. Identical to what is happening, my head is going forward naturally and weight is on the front foot. When I play around with it to adjust the positioning to what I "think" would be better I end up on my heels losing my balance backwards.

9. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

Push your foot into the ground and pivot the foot hard... almost like you're drilling your foot into the ground. Twist >> lean/push

10. Sinister

Two possible things going wrong:

1) Setting the weight too far back.

2) Letting both heels down at the same time. Just one, the other should be raised. So if you lift your left heel to pivot, right heel can be down. When you complete the turn the left heel sets down, right it up, until you push your weight back...left goes up, right goes down again.

My fighter Jonathan "Loco"...is pretty good at pivoting. Both of these two are, but he's a touch better at it though in the beginning, he had a bad habit of setting both heels down and would get knocked off-balance because of it (white headgear):

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  11. Token7

Token7 Banned Banned

Awesome. I'm not understanding so much on the first problem. Do you mean weight back in your stance before the pivot? Or trying to get your weight back in the motion of a pivot that screws everything up?

12. Sinister

Too far back just means too much over the back foot. Even if you favor the back foot, your weight has to stay between your feet.

13. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

You and about 90% of the people on this forum.

14. szJack

szJack Yellow Belt

Wow just tried the heel/hip-first pivot. Amazing difference.
    How about other pivots to other directions? I have trouble pivoting properly (so I could strike immediatly) to my right (as orthodox).

15. Sinister

Going towards the rear foot is always awkward. But it involves turning that foot/ankle/hip first, and following it in the direction you want to pivot in. Then you correct the front foot.

16. szJack

szJack Yellow Belt

Thank you:)

17. Boyk0

Boyk0 White Belt

can somebody post an isolated video of the differences in the pivot. i'm having troubles visualizing this, probably because of the language barrier

18. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

What language do you speak? We might have some people on here who can translate better.

19. Mr Mojo Lane

Mr Mojo Lane Brown Belt

This is a nice detail that I have never thought about. When I think about it, I do it incorrectly--I have actually been shown to do it that way by bad Filipino MA teachers. When I go fast and don't think about it, I do it correctly. I was kinda confused and/or I never really thought about it.

20. Boyk0

Boyk0 White Belt

i speak english fairly well. i guess i'm just new to boxing terminology, i've been training for a few months now.

can anybody post any videos or gifs where i can see this? (if video please post approx. minute to watch for)