Boxing in Medieval times?

Thanks for that informative post.

Just a comment about Pankration, i can see why Boxing was considered more strenuous as it's striking only but I wonder though how close it really was because from what I read nut shots were allowed in Olympic Pankration and only biting and eye gouging banned (Spartans seem to have allowed these 2 also). I mean if you took a good nut shot I doubt you will be ready to go Box a little while later lol but then again may be all the decent Pankration guys knew how to defend themselves against nut shots, especially one's who wanted to Box after that event.

In terms of Boxing I know the general rules of KO, submit or kill but I am wondering what the rules were about things like clinching and whether a guy could use some throws while in the clinch like under London prizefighting rules. Also were elbows banned?

NP, it gives much more information than which I can confidently recall off head, and gives a lot of interesting tidbits and info as far as the mindset behind each sport and their rules, how the public viewed them, prominent athletes, and so on, gonna have to buy it for reference material at some point.

Just checked my library database and it's not checked out, so if you have any more questions let me know and respond after I check it out and can go through the material again.

have a biography on a russian tsar (peter the great) where a foreign ambassador described russian peasants entertainment.

'a large gathering of men and boys of all ages would retire to a field on sundays after copious drinking. there they would match up in pairs by size and then fight for fun. afterwards many people were carried off in carts'.

the russians are an awesome people.

have a biography on a russian tsar (peter the great) where a foreign ambassador described russian peasants entertainment.

'a large gathering of men and boys of all ages would retire to a field on sundays after copious drinking. there they would match up in pairs by size and then fight for fun. afterwards many people were carried off in carts'.

the russians are an awesome people.

The Russians still do it nowadays:

[YT]vB4DzOEHRY4[/YT]

[YT]rq1NZfavp5c[/YT]

[YT]e624Oz314lk[/YT]

[YT]J0_cHRwsVFk[/YT]

[YT]C1FB-o3L9ko[/YT]

Those wall fights(I think that what there called) are brutal. Once some hits the ground they should just move on, not start stomping him.

The Russians still do it nowadays:

[YT]vB4DzOEHRY4[/YT]

[YT]rq1NZfavp5c[/YT]

[YT]e624Oz314lk[/YT]

[YT]J0_cHRwsVFk[/YT]

[YT]C1FB-o3L9ko[/YT]

notice how the guys with the superior wrestling won?! :redface:

anyways. very cool thread. thanks ts.

NP, it gives much more information than which I can confidently recall off head, and gives a lot of interesting tidbits and info as far as the mindset behind each sport and their rules, how the public viewed them, prominent athletes, and so on, gonna have to buy it for reference material at some point.

Just checked my library database and it's not checked out, so if you have any more questions let me know and respond after I check it out and can go through the material again.
enswell thanks for bumping this.

DragonofMetsu I have a question that is more related to MMA/Pankration.

Still trying to get hold of that book you recommended, what I was wondering is how much grappling was involved in Spartan Pankration because that was real "no rules" not like UFC 1 "no rules but no eye gouging or biting". I have been trying to find any descriptions of how these ancient Spartan Pankration fights went but so far no luck.

By the way I found the source for that Spartan's "bite like lions" phrase that you mentioned, it's from Plutarch's "Sayings of Spartans":
44 In a clinch one wrestler, who had the other by the neck, eoverpowered him with little effort, and pulled him to the ground. Since the one who was down was at a disadvantage in using his body, he bit the arm that held him. His opponent said, "Spartan, you bite like a woman." "No, indeed," said he, "but like a lion."31

Plutarch • Sayings of Spartans — Anonymous
Also a good counter to any dude who is trying to dry hump (oops i mean take down and "control" you and do an "omoplata" on you) you in a street fight:
37672_135363316498327_100000739797296_221260_1168862_n.jpg

Still trying to get hold of that book you recommended, what I was wondering is how much grappling was involved in Spartan Pankration because that was real "no rules" not like UFC 1 "no rules but no eye gouging or biting". I have been trying to find any descriptions of how these ancient Spartan Pankration fights went but so far no luck.

By the way I found the source for that Spartan's "bite like lions" phrase that you mentioned, it's from Plutarch's "Sayings of Spartans":

Also a good counter to any dude who is trying to dry hump (oops i mean take down and "control" you and do an "omoplata" on you) you in a street fight:
37672_135363316498327_100000739797296_221260_1168862_n.jpg

yeah, I chuckle when people say 'I bet you don't even roll, I'd submit you in no time flat' and my thinking is, 'I'd pluck your eye no time flat'

Grappling was still a part of Spartan Pankration but it was much more risky obviously due to the risk of gouges and bites, but you have to also remember the Spartans disdained training in the heavy events for sport only, they wanted the competitions to correlate to real combat as much as possible, hence the literal allowance of everything.

also on a bit of a digression, but still related, the iconic pic for Pankration:

pankration.gif

Is actually not Pankration, but Wrestling.

Combat Sports in the Ancient World mentions three key ways to tell apart the heavy events in greek art:

Pankration:

Kicks, are the major way to tell a Pankration piece apart from Boxing and Wrestling, as those weren't allowed in either

Strikes on the ground are a way too, though usually those are rare, hence the confusion with the above pic

Boxing:

Look for Sharp Thongs on the fighters hands, and cauliflowered ears

Wrestling:

Holds, ground fighting, close grappling

these rules will typically help you distinguish them, but they're not absolute, and another problem is how ancient greek art pieces have been reinterperated or altered, completely changing the context of the piece, as in the "Pankration" example above.

Last edited:
history02.jpg

history05.jpg

Here's the Boxer of Quirinal from over 2 thousand years ago:

n475f5.jpg

^Excellent follow up enswell, especially with the Boxer of Qurinal hands close-up, always fascinated to look at those pictures, especially when fans of other combat sports like to say Boxing isn't a martial art, when over 3000 years of history proves it is, as the ancient greek boxing(though boxing was even popular and developed in Ancient Egypt as a pastime and sporting event with their own equipments and such)was considered training for actual warfare as well(though the philosophers of the time disagreed for their own reasons.)

But then people would like to say that Ancient Greek Boxing was much different than modern boxing so the comparison doesn't fit, when the ancient greek boxers had heavy bags, light bags for speed, strict conditioning routines, several types of gloves, the light thongs for sparring, the hard/sharp thongs for competition, and the puffy mitts for bagwork/lighter sparring. Sure there were differences as far as the actual conditions of victory, but not so much as to make Ancient Boxing and Modern Boxing alien cousins.

^Excellent follow up enswell, especially with the Boxer of Qurinal hands close-up, always fascinated to look at those pictures, especially when fans of other combat sports like to say Boxing isn't a martial art, when over 3000 years of history proves it is, as the ancient greek boxing(though boxing was even popular and developed in Ancient Egypt as a pastime and sporting event with their own equipments and such)was considered training for actual warfare as well(though the philosophers of the time disagreed for their own reasons.)

But then people would like to say that Ancient Greek Boxing was much different than modern boxing so the comparison doesn't fit, when the ancient greek boxers had heavy bags, light bags for speed, strict conditioning routines, several types of gloves, the light thongs for sparring, the hard/sharp thongs for competition, and the puffy mitts for bagwork/lighter sparring. Sure there were differences as far as the actual conditions of victory, but not so much as to make Ancient Boxing and Modern Boxing alien cousins.
In the Boxing section in the past someone made a post claiming that ancient Greek Boxing did not emphasise defense at all and that they just whaled away at each other like retards (to please the audience I guess).

Is there any truth to this?

Those links I posted about defense suggest that there was at least some idea of defense.

I doubt they had any Sweet Pea's or Mayweathers back then, that would have probably bored the audience to tears and it wouldn't have suited the rules at all (KO, kill or submission) but they should have had some good defense.

Last edited:
Here is another form of Boxing that was used in Africa. It is called Dambe 0r one hand boxing.

Hundreds of years ago in Nigeria, butchers had a special ritualistic role. They were the only individuals with permission to slaughter animals. Butchers would team up in groups and call themselves

In the Boxing section in the past someone made a post claiming that ancient Greek Boxing did not emphasise defense at all and that they just whaled away at each other like retards (to please the audience I guess).

Is there any truth to this?

Those links I posted about defense suggest that there was at least some idea of defense.

I doubt they had any Sweet Pea's or Mayweathers back then, that would have probably bored the audience to tears and it wouldn't have suited the rules at all (KO, kill or submission) but they should have had some good defense.

False. defensive technique was emphasized in Ancient Greek Boxing due to the sheer amount of damage that could be done. It was just that the audience looked down on the most technical boxers of the time as less exciting(hmmm, sounds familiar...), and there were tales of elusive boxers who danced circles around their opponents, but KOs were really the pinnacle of the excitement, and KO machines were looked upon much more favorably and exciting than the technicians. I'll pick up the book tomorrow as iirc the author mentioned one famous boxer in particularily who absolutely embarrassed his slugger opponent.

And more food for thought, remember many boxers participated in the Pankration before the Boxing matches, trying to conserve the strength to outlast their opponents, it wouldn't really be feasible for an athlete to try and spar as little damage as possible in Pankration and then just automatically get into a slug match with the first boxer he saw.

False. defensive technique was emphasized in Ancient Greek Boxing due to the sheer amount of damage that could be done. It was just that the audience looked down on the most technical boxers of the time as less exciting(hmmm, sounds familiar...), and there were tales of elusive boxers who danced circles around their opponents, but KOs were really the pinnacle of the excitement, and KO machines were looked upon much more favorably and exciting than the technicians. I'll pick up the book tomorrow as iirc the author mentioned one famous boxer in particularily who absolutely embarrassed his slugger opponent.

And more food for thought, remember many boxers participated in the Pankration before the Boxing matches, trying to conserve the strength to outlast their opponents, it wouldn't really be feasible for an athlete to try and spar as little damage as possible in Pankration and then just automatically get into a slug match with the first boxer he saw.
haha seems similar to modern times, guess human nature doesn't change much. Reminds me of the Mike Tyson quote:

"When you see me smash somebody's skull, you enjoy it."

There are so many misconceptions involved around old school Boxing let alone ancient Boxing.

Also Vajra Mushti was mentioned previously in this thread, thought I would post a couple of interesting links I found about it:

Vajramushti The Ancient Vale Tudo of India Will / Machado BJJ Australasia

John Will: BJJ Black Belt, MMA coach, Author and Life Coach: Johns personal Blog: Knuckledusters & Luck

From the same book mentioned before. This is what I got out of the pankration chapter (it was really short). I will look into the boxing chapter later.

- One of the last athletic events to be introduced in the Greek Olympics (33d Olympiad, 648 B.C.E), wrestling and boxing are much older.

- No counter-part sport in the Near East, only in Greco-Roman world.

- Only two tactics are prohibited in pankration: biting and gouging. Spartans allowed even these but they only competed among themselves and not at the national festivals. However, athletes often broke the rules.

- Striking with hand and foot was a main part of the sport - sometimes the only one. Kicking was the main identifying sign of the sport.

- Genital strikes are allowed.

- Wore light boxing thongs to protect the knuckles.

- Had specific stance which allowed for good offense/defense. (doesn't go into detail)

- Kept a high guard with both hands and kept a semi-closed fist for punching and grabbing.

-Famous wrestler Leontiskos used small-joint manipulation (fingers).

-Dragging down opponents (sounds like pulling guard), trampling used, moves to the opponents heel, scissor holds, hand chokes, they would throw sand at opponents mouths.

- Not considered as strenuous as boxing, with athletes requesting to first compete in pankration so as to be fresh for their boxing match later on in the day. Also dreaming of competing is a bad omen.

Boxing (p68-73)

- Greeks viewed boxing as the most physically punishing athletic contest.

- (Greek style thongs\equipment was described earlier) but earliest depiction of gloved contest dates back to the Minoan civ in Crete.

- Unlike Greco-Roman world, Near East and Egyptian depictions show no gloves/thongs, only wrapped the wrist.

- Greeks also at times participated in bare-knuckle contests (minor role).

- Thongs were made out of rawhide, fighters wrapped their hands in different styles, sometimes leaving one hand bare. The fact that they were not always worn to cover the knuckles indicates that they were usually for the protection of the hand/wrist and not to be used to injure an opponent.

-Thongs and cauliflower ears are used artistically to depict classical boxers.

-In the 4th cent B.C.E, Greeks started using heavier/damaging 'sharp thongs'. Had gloves on the inside with holes cut-out for the fingertips, and over the gloves were wrapped leather thongs with a heavy band of leather over the knuckles. Gloves were hard and used to cut opponents.....

cont' later (up to p88). im too tired and stoned..

^Hahah thanks for getting ahold of the book and posting up those snippets Bonos, good to see my memory hasn't gone to shit ^^

Edit: small bit on Pankration, iirc, genital strikes were looked down upon though not strictly enforced against

can you also post what he said about The Wrestlers sculpture? As I forgot what he said exactly but he pointed out a key sign that revealed it to be a sculpture of Pale, not Pankration.

Ah looks like others have beat me to the punch and already brought up pankration

Back