Boxing at 20

It usually depends what level you are. Some Gyms, the more important you are the more you pay, because you get more exclusivity. Like if Zab wanted a private day at Top Rank, he could pay the money to have it.

One thing I recommend is STUDY the Sport. Watch as many fights as you can stomach. It helps a lot. You'll have to work harder than younger guys, but seeing it every day with hone your mind to the game.

Oh and check your PM box.

at 16 i wanted to join a boxing gym, but i was too intimadated by the whole aura of it. By age 21 ive realized i just like to train and be a part of the sport. Im 29 now and sometimes think what if? Go for it

Hasim Rahman is another boxer that started at the age of 20.

What would have happened if Bernard Hopkins would have said Nah, I'm too old to start Boxing at 19!
You may be the next undisputed champion of the world and p4p best fighter at one point????

George Foreman said something like just because I've had a couple more birthdays than you means I can't Box or something like that!

I can't imagine not having gone for it. Even at my age. If I'd have pussied out, I'd have never ended up here:

Heavybag4.jpg

Me on the far right in my Shell, Diego murdering the smaller bag with an uppercut on the left, Mike's watchful eye over the both of us, and in the background in the ring is Eddie Mustafa working with Duncan Dokiwari.

Who takes these pictures?

BobbyBrez took that one.

my answer: a RESOUNDING no!!! it's not even remotely close to being too late. with what we now know about nutrition and supplementation, you wouldn't even peak until about 38. shit, i boxed for 2 years when i was 15-16. i've kept up decent shape and am starting again now at 30. get your ass in that gym pronto!!

I'm going to definitely try for 168. And I pick things up quickly. I think I should be just fine.

The main reason I have not started training was because of the finance. Hardly any old school boxing gyms in San Diego. And the gyms I have found charge at least $100/month. I heard Freddie Roach only charges $50/month at his gym.

tijuana is a short drive ;)

I've been debating whether I should start training boxing. I'm 19, soon to be 20 in August. Is it too late to start boxing. I mean as a career. What do you guys think?

Just have fun with it.. if you turn out to be a natural then great.. if not, it's a great work out and an awesome hobby.

my answer: a RESOUNDING no!!! it's not even remotely close to being too late. with what we now know about nutrition and supplementation, you wouldn't even peak until about 38. shit, i boxed for 2 years when i was 15-16. i've kept up decent shape and am starting again now at 30. get your ass in that gym pronto!!

ouch 38.. thats a stretch

Maybe don't go in with the idea that you are going to def. go pro and put lots of preassure on yourself. Do it cause you love it. Its def. one of those sports that takes a little more out of you then other sports, so you do have to like it.

But even if its partiall rcreational, its one of the best sports you can do. Like I honestly feel like a better person because of it. And it is compatible with other activities and jobs. Its not nearly as bad as everyone makes it seem.

You might end up with brain damage and broke. Or you might make millions and become a world champ. Never know until you try it.

If you love Boxing, then Box. If you want to knock people out for a living, then go Pro. You've actually still got a good amount of time to burn in the Amateurs where it doesn't matter much if you lose, but the experience is more important. You can spend 20-24 in the Amateurs (granted you have talent) and maybe even win a couple Championships somewheres.

Then go Pro, and as long as you don't do stupid shit like yo-yo in weight, drink, beat up women and get thrown in jail, snort coke, etc., take care of your body, train properly to avoid injury, and stay out of trouble, you can have a long and fruitful career.

I train with Mike McCallum, who always laughs at me when I express that I'm old to be beginning (29, started training SERIOUSLY at 26), according to him I'm stupid for worrying about it and have a good 10 years in the game if I do right.

yes! I'm 26, there is still hope. If anything I'd probably try my hand at mma though. I can't get the thought of my little brother tapping me out, out of my head.

MMA has an even longer longevity scale, there are guys beginning well-into their 30's. Compromise is the pay sucks.

Hawaiian punch...

Wow, Brian was a big disappointment.

i don't think he's been the same since he almost killed that one guy. i started to figure out that he was a bit hyped when they kept him down at 108. hopefully he makes a bigger mark in the future.

i don't think he's been the same since he almost killed that one guy. i started to figure out that he was a bit hyped when they kept him down at 108. hopefully he makes a bigger mark in the future.

You redeem the honor of the Hawaiian Punch name. You dub yourself Hawaiian Punch and pursue a career in ass kicking. I support you. I got an AAA card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back