Bowe vs Holyfield II is almost as good as I

Yeah and I always thought it stuck in his craw how much credit Teddy Atlas got in his world title win. Teddy's performance seemed to even overshadow Moorer's.
it's his own fault, he didn't look like he even wanted ot be their in the first fight, he was in a fight for what's been called the biggest prize in sports and he's fucking around. I still thought he lost.

I just don’t see it the same way.

To me there’s a difference between looking unmotivated and looking like something’s physically wrong. In the third Bowe fight he looked like he was drugged or had a flu or something. He ran out of gas way too early in that fight and only got the knockdown because Bowe himself was undertrained. Why would he be that unmotivated for the third Bowe fight and not the other two?

I can’t speak entirely for the Moorer fight, but the theory was that he had a heart valve problem. Is that true? I don’t know. To be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me if it had something to do with possible supplementation. I’m not accusing him, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

As for fights like Czyz or Toney, I have a theory about Evander that many probably won’t share, but I think Holyfield is simply not that technically sound. He shines against the monsters of the division who want to throw heavy leather so he can counterpunch, but can look very mortal against smaller fighters who are good defensively. Good thing he never fought Byrd.
some fighters just look bad when they are suppossed to look good and vice versa, i really think that was one of muhammad ali's problems in the 70's, he didn't have that many really good showings, even against lesser opponents but give him a foreman and he would pull it out. As far as holyfield not being technically sound, i think the opposite is true, he is one of the best taught fighters in the division and that's how he beat a lot of those guys. He spanked tyson because his technique was way better, even giving the impression that his hands were faster because he threw more correct punches. VS. Cyzz, he was hammering the guy and couldn't hurt him, then cyzz quit saying something was burning his eyes, Toney was just another in a long line of guys who evander wasn't up for, like i said, look at his fights before he won the title, then after, it's a huge dropoff, foreman, holmes, cooper, none impressive, then bowe, then with something to prove, he beats bowe, then lets down against moorer. Usually, he had some excuse, his shoulder, his heart, a flu, a virus but no fighter goes in 100 percent and most fighters have some excuse when they lose.

some fighters just look bad when they are suppossed to look good and vice versa, i really think that was one of muhammad ali's problems in the 70's, he didn't have that many really good showings, even against lesser opponents but give him a foreman and he would pull it out. As far as holyfield not being technically sound, i think the opposite is true, he is one of the best taught fighters in the division and that's how he beat a lot of those guys. He spanked tyson because his technique was way better, even giving the impression that his hands were faster because he threw more correct punches. VS. Cyzz, he was hammering the guy and couldn't hurt him, then cyzz quit saying something was burning his eyes, Toney was just another in a long line of guys who evander wasn't up for, like i said, look at his fights before he won the title, then after, it's a huge dropoff, foreman, holmes, cooper, none impressive, then bowe, then with something to prove, he beats bowe, then lets down against moorer. Usually, he had some excuse, his shoulder, his heart, a flu, a virus but no fighter goes in 100 percent and most fighters have some excuse when they lose.
Yea and he was taught by George Benton after the olympics so there was no lack of knowledge in that camp.

one other interesting thing, i heard rumours that Lou Duva thought evander was lazy, that was an interesting thing to say, especially considering how Holyfield had to do all the extra work to be a heavyweight. Maybe Lou saw something that we didn't. George benton also said something about how evander had no gas tank early in his career and that he couldn't figure it out, but Evander had a hard time adjusting to more than 3 rounds and would make "puppy dog" eyes at benton when he'd start to tire. That's wierd because wasn't evander the first of the olympians to go 15 and win a title? But that's what the man said.

one other interesting thing, i heard rumours that Lou Duva thought evander was lazy, that was an interesting thing to say, especially considering how Holyfield had to do all the extra work to be a heavyweight. Maybe Lou saw something that we didn't. George benton also said something about how evander had no gas tank early in his career and that he couldn't figure it out, but Evander had a hard time adjusting to more than 3 rounds and would make "puppy dog" eyes at benton when he'd start to tire. That's wierd because wasn't evander the first of the olympians to go 15 and win a title? But that's what the man said.
Doesn't really seem to jibe with what we saw with our own eyes.

Doesn't really seem to jibe with what we saw with our own eyes.
no it doesn't, not at all but we weren't there, maybe lou saw him be flakey. Fighters don't always train with consistency, or.., worse yet, maybe lou was being racist, i think someone said they caught lou saying black fighters were lazy. Which, for me, having known trainers of various stripes since i was 13, for a trainer to call anyone lazy is a stretch.

You think a Duva is telling the truth?

You think a Duva is telling the truth?
about what? black fighters being lazy or just evander? if lou did say that black fighters are lazy he was simply being racist, we don't know if he really said that, i think someone said they filmed it or reported it but I never saw hard evidence myself. but.., if he said it, that's just an old stereotype of the shiftless negro, and as I mentioned before, for a trainer to say that is a stretch, trainers don't do anything but expect other people to work hard while they do nothing and take all the credit. So, if lou was saying anyone is lazy, it's the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak. just about every trainer i had was a fuckup and that includes the ones who managed to make people think they were special.

also, you don't have the cardio of an evander, a taylor or a whitaker without a lot of years of hardwork. The average person would become exhausted after a round of boxing, how often do we even see top fighters breathing hard after a fight? Takes a lot of work to get like that, check out how conor mcgregor was looking against mayweather, and best believe, mayweather knew that would happen.

Last edited:
no it doesn't, not at all but we weren't there, maybe lou saw him be flakey. Fighters don't always train with consistency, or.., worse yet, maybe lou was being racist, i think someone said they caught lou saying black fighters were lazy. Which, for me, having known trainers of various stripes since i was 13, for a trainer to call anyone lazy is a stretch.
maybe he was mad evander left him

maybe he was mad evander left him
could be, i know george benton and duva had some sort of falling out over who knows what and benton accurately said duva didn't know a thing about training. I never heard duva give any solid advice in the corner. He made it work busineswise but that doesn't mean he really understood the sport in a way to impart it to others.

Back