Bounce Out of the Hole Technique

RukshawM4st3r

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wanted to post a squat form check. I do this "rocking" thing to kind of force my ass back which isn't good, I'll stop that. I think the first 1-3 reps are good depth (I could be wrong) but on the last two I was a bit shallow. I think I could have gone deeper on the last 3 reps but I'm worried about losing tightness in my lower back when I go that deep. A bounce would probably help me right now but I'm not really sure how I should cue myself for that... :icon_neut

Something seems a bit off from the go. To me, your feet look too close together and it's making it where you look slightly off balance, though it's tough to tell from the angle. Are your feet shoulder width? Slightly wider than shoulder width? Your COG also looks to be slightly in front of your knees at the start like you're leaning a big forward(?). Finally, coming out on the hole on the last few reps, your hips are rising faster than the rest of you and you're falling a bit forward.

Something seems a bit off from the go. To me, your feet look too close together and it's making it where you look slightly off balance, though it's tough to tell from the angle. Are your feet shoulder width? Slightly wider than shoulder width? Your COG also looks to be slightly in front of your knees at the start like you're leaning a big forward(?). Finally, coming out on the hole on the last few reps, your hips are rising faster than the rest of you and you're falling a bit forward.

My stance is good, defintely wider than shoulder width, you just can't tell from that angle. Hip timing noted sir.

Yeah you seem kind of wobbly, your ass moves back and forth on the way down. Is that the "rocking" thing you mentioned? Try not to do that, keep your weight on your heels the whole time. You seem to be tipping forward a little at the bottom. I would suggest trying a few sets of box squats to help you sit back into the squat more naturally.

I think you're also descending a little too slowly. If you want to use your hamstrings' stretch reflex to "bounce" out of the hole, you have to squat down a little faster. Don't do the dive-bomb thing where you free-fall down and "catch" the weight at the bottom, but you should fight the tendency to squat down slower when the weight feels heavy. Lighten the weight up a little and practice some faster squats with a little bounce, then try to squat the same way on your work sets.

Also, you could probably stand to push your knees apart more. This helps to fix a lot of form issues, including the tipping forward and losing lumbar tightness at the bottom thing.

Why are you jumping/snapping into the down part?

maybe its to do with the angles of your arms? I cant really see but do you push your elbows forward?

Not sure if I would want to rely on the bounce too much. Can make you lose tightness.

Back