Both main and co-main of ESPN debuts show what MMA is compared to other sports.

The NFL reject lost.

In a couple of weeks time won't the AFC and NFC Champions play each other too? And last night New Orleans were knocked out by a shitty refereeing call.

Nothing that happens in MMA is new or doesn't happen in other sports.

Of course that happens, but the concentration of it in one opening event is just sad.
I mean, it really happens all the time in MMA, it's simply funny that it happened in one opening event. So the watcher would left without a doubt what MMA is about

UFC does this because this is what the American public want in 2019. The same public that boo'd hard working family man Cormier and cheered drug thug Jon Jones.

America wah happen to you?

TS has a point in that UFC is the circus of MMA. Pictograms, interim bullshit belts, once ever fake GOATs, and overall shadyness. Bellator is becoming the more ethical and upstanding MMA promotion these days.

Eh....UFC = MMA. For the whole world.
Unfortunately. Especially now.

Bellator is irrelevant to MMA course right now.

I'm sure i saw folk moaning about the worst call in NFL history just last night.

I think you're right in some regards TS. The UFC catered to the first-time casual viewer. Its obvious why Vanzant vs Ostovich were on the main card, and Hardy vs Crowder was the co-main. Also, it felt like the constant promoting of the UFC on ESPN+ also cheapened the event as well. Cant really blame them though, as it was an opportunity to reach some viewers that perhaps haven't watched the UFC before.

The referee shouldn't take into consideration the broadcast or the importance of a fight. His job is to protect the fighters. The criticism was harsh imo, especially when the result of incompetent refereeing has the potential to leave a fighter with serious injury. The consequence of a "bad call" in combat sports, can be much more devastating then most situations in other sports.

Unlucky for the UFC though, that the main and co-main both had controversial endings. If we saw Hardy maul Crowder, and a beautiful display of technique from Dillashaw and Cejudo the card may have left a better impression for both the hardcore fans and casuals.

You know, Vanzant Ostovich actually was a bright part of a main card.

Very good fight, and Vanzant is as usual a fun to watch. Not only she has looks, but she has a true heart of a warrior.
Casuals don't have to know that she's unranked. Actually they might stay to see more girls like her...

Greg Hardy got praised for the illegal knee? i must have missed that

Cowboy should have been the co main.. with Hardy lower down the card

It's called business though Hardy being a known NFL player (and woman beater) was more likely to bring new eyes to the broadcast

I have no idea why people get so mad about this stuff.. MMA/UFC.. Boxing it's all about making the most money and what sells

UFC does this because this is what the American public want in 2019. The same public that boo'd hard working family man Cormier and cheered drug thug Jon Jones.

America wah happen to you?

What does the public want?

Hardy's DQ and a rant about referee stoppage have nothing to do with what "public wants". If you mean entertainment, there is nothing entertaining in that

Greg Hardy got praised for the illegal knee? i must have missed that

Cowboy should have been the co main.. with Hardy lower down the card

It's called business though Hardy being a known NFL player (and woman beater) was more likely to bring new eyes to the broadcast

I have no idea why people get so mad about this stuff.. MMA/UFC.. Boxing it's all about making the most money and what sells

You're totally missing the point.

Of course that happens, but the concentration of it in one opening event is just sad.
I mean, it really happens all the time in MMA, it's simply funny that it happened in one opening event. So the watcher would left without a doubt what MMA is about

Why? Hardy being on it (probably) boosted the number of viewers and controversy sells. The UFC is a business, they want to make money. Sports with referees have referees because players/competitors cheat.

Who is the biggest fight for anyone in boxing or MMA atm? Mayweather and what's his history like with women? Better or MUCH WORSE than Hardy?

Do you really think most of the people watching it watched the post fight press conference and heard anything Dana had to say about anything?

A bigger problem would have been if the fights were terrible and most of them weren't.

Saints got eliminated from the playoffs yesterday due to bad refereeing

That kind of shit happens in every sport

Co-main:
Greg Hardy, thrown from much more known and established sport in American Football for domestic violence, lands in MMA.
What does he do in MMA, in front of a huge audience? Blatantly breaks the rules. Shows exactly what kind of a sportsman he is. Gets praised by UFC.

Main:
OK, nice short fight between two champions, one beat the other one...OK. Wait, what does the president of UFC says? Ah, that was a horrible stoppage? And not even one nice word about the winner, who's supposed to be one of the best MMA fighters on the planet? Hmm OK.

So what do we have here?
- MMA being a sport for thugs, rejected from other sports for all the right reasons, which prove their thugishness again on a big screen;
- Bad officiating, both from sanctioned bodies and high authorities in the organizations.

Welcome to MMA, ESPN viewer. In case you only heard of it but never watched - this is how it looks like.
Enjoy your stay.

You're the worst. Don't even know why I clicked on the thread. So I guess I have myself to blame.

Why? Hardy being on it (probably) boosted the number of viewers and controversy sells. The UFC is a business, they want to make money. Sports with referees have referees because players/competitors cheat.

Who is the biggest fight for anyone in boxing or MMA atm? Mayweather and what's his history like with women? Better or MUCH WORSE than Hardy?

Do you really think most of the people watching it watched the post fight press conference and heard anything Dana had to say about anything?

A bigger problem would have been if the fights were terrible and most of them weren't.

Again. You miss the point.
OK, controversy sells - and? WWE sells too, it is not on ESPN though , right? It's supposed to be the sport here.
So the watchers will know, that what MMA brings them is not a sport. It's a controversy . Enjoy.
I don't say it won't bring money - it will. It just shows how far MMA is from sport today. From other sports, that still respect the sportmanship.

And Floyd isn't watched BECAUSE of controvercy. He's watched DESPITE a controversy. No one says "oh , this is a woman beater I heard about! Let's see how woman beater boxes"

You see the difference? One response was humorous and on point (mine), other was predictable and infantile (yours)

Now I see why you get double yellow...besides offtopic flooding of course, like you do now

Yours wasn't funny either.

You wish someone was passionate about you.

Really darling, with your dedication to yours truly you should open a separate thread, dedicated to me only.
This one is about MMA, not my humble persona.

Co-main:
Greg Hardy, thrown from much more known and established sport in American Football for domestic violence, lands in MMA.
What does he do in MMA, in front of a huge audience? Blatantly breaks the rules. Shows exactly what kind of a sportsman he is. Gets praised by UFC.

Main:
OK, nice short fight between two champions, one beat the other one...OK. Wait, what does the president of UFC says? Ah, that was a horrible stoppage? And not even one nice word about the winner, who's supposed to be one of the best MMA fighters on the planet? Hmm OK.

So what do we have here?
- MMA being a sport for thugs, rejected from other sports for all the right reasons, which prove their thugishness again on a big screen;
- Bad officiating, both from sanctioned bodies and high authorities in the organizations.

Welcome to MMA, ESPN viewer. In case you only heard of it but never watched - this is how it looks like.
Enjoy your stay.

Well, ESPN just signed the UFC. Here's what THEY did the day after. The front page of ESPN with it's top news included: a story about Hardy, a story about McGregor/Conor. ZERO mention of Cejudo. That's ESPN trying to promote MMA? You want to promote the champ who just won, not the football reject who looked like shit.

Back