Both main and co-main of ESPN debuts show what MMA is compared to other sports.

So what do we have here?.

2 fights exhibiting extreme violence

if you don't like that sort of thing, you won't watch again
if you do, you will

there can't be many people tuning into a ufc event in 2019 who don't know what they are getting.... people don't care if it's a "legit league" or has "true" martial arts on display except a few hundred people on this message board and at your local dojo... most casual people tuning in want to see a fight and some violence, and that's what they got

I don't think any of that other stuff you mentioned will really turn anyone off the UFC (that wasn't going to stop watching because they don't like it anyway)

highly doubt that there is people who had never seen MMA before just giving it a try because it's now on a channel that they own and it wasn't before, so i don't think that event draw anymore new viewers than any others event
and even if it did ,i doubt they watched the dana white post fight press conference, i follow mma for many years now and if it wasn't for sherdog i wouldn't have any idea what dana thought of the stoppage, nor would i know that guy was an american football player and had a case of domestic violence
so tldr: i don't think any of that is a big deal

Mother jokes in 2019?

Yikes.

The dull-witted are not very creative.

No, but your mother does.

Your mother does, but I told her that she should've swallowed you, like she did when I was with her.

I prefer your mother, she's much softer.

You confused my wife with your mother...even though I've been with both of them

Your mother didn't have any complaints.

First of all stop with the reductio ad absurdum crap. I never intended to day what you imply here.

Secondly, McGregor is far from being a thug. If you don't understand that he's one of the smartest fighters today, you are probably not the brightest one yourself.

And none of the issues are mentioned are about "entertainment". There weren't some brawls or scuffles or theatrics.
Bad officiating and rules breaking have nothing to do with it. Heck, casuals even wouldn't know Hardy broke the rules until it was announced.
I'm talking about the McGregor era as ticket sales and entertainment value over rankings and sport. I think McGregor is an excellent businessman, he's feeding his family. I have no issue with him. I think he's a gifted fighter. He's just a little short of the very best. He doesn't seem to have the heart of the truly elite. He's still great and fun to watch.

You're gay.

I understand that it is your hidden wish, for me to be gay so it would justify your unhealthy obsession with me. You really hope we're on the same side.
But sorry, I prefer women.

And really, where is the thread dedicated to me? You're flooding again

The crowd thought he was an asshole and so does social media, he's a heel and will sell tickets. The fact that he's a real life heel rather than a faux one is a plus point for mma fans who don't usually fall for that pro wrestling style shtick.

You know what? You, unfortunately, might be right in this one. It will sell.
It was not an original point though - the point is that MMA stabilizes itself as a circus watched for entertainment entirely from the very start of its ESPN career.

That's the difference between sport that needs "entertainment" like Hardy and NFL that kicks him TFO

The dull-witted are not very creative.

Why don't you put it with the original messages? Including the one where I pwned you

Anyway, you should join @DJ Nasty Jerm in his thread about me and stop flooding this one.
And kudos for a hard investigation of my humble persona

Nope, i dont get the point, what are you trying to say, MMA looks shitty to most outsiders. I just thought if you have a complaint you would have a solution, doesnt mean i try to keep you from having your opinion. It isnt ironic its kinda what is expected.

No, I actually think that MMA is EXACTLY what it looked on Saturday.
It's just ironic it summarized itself in one event.

Solution? That's the different topic, overall idea - UFC has to be weakened. Easier said than done though

But what? It was on Fox for 8 years. Conor became one of the most recognized figures in all of sports. Walmart has its own line of mma clothes. It’s time to stop pretending it’s 2005. Everyone knows what mma is now

Conor is known as a boxer that also did some...cage fighting? Whatever
That's what people think. They don't get too deep into MMA. They don't know anything about it - not rules, not companies - nothing. They don't know the difference between MMA and UFC. Why would they, if they don't dig deeper?

I'm talking about the McGregor era as ticket sales and entertainment value over rankings and sport. I think McGregor is an excellent businessman, he's feeding his family. I have no issue with him. I think he's a gifted fighter. He's just a little short of the very best. He doesn't seem to have the heart of the truly elite. He's still great and fun to watch.

Exactly, and you describe here an absolute different person than Greg Hardy, what he represents and what he represented in his last fight

Co-main:
Greg Hardy, thrown from much more known and established sport in American Football for domestic violence, lands in MMA.
What does he do in MMA, in front of a huge audience? Blatantly breaks the rules. Shows exactly what kind of a sportsman he is. Gets praised by UFC.

Main:
OK, nice short fight between two champions, one beat the other one...OK. Wait, what does the president of UFC says? Ah, that was a horrible stoppage? And not even one nice word about the winner, who's supposed to be one of the best MMA fighters on the planet? Hmm OK.

So what do we have here?
- MMA being a sport for thugs, rejected from other sports for all the right reasons, which prove their thugishness again on a big screen;
- Bad officiating, both from sanctioned bodies and high authorities in the organizations.

Welcome to MMA, ESPN viewer. In case you only heard of it but never watched - this is how it looks like.
Enjoy your stay.
-Hardy was not booted from the NFL over the DV incident, those charges were dropped and expunged from his record in 2015. He failed a drug test 2016 after not being resigned.
-The kid had 3 pro fights prior to his first fight in the UFC.. many fighters with much more experience, have also thrown accidental knees. It was a reaction, which is understandable. Does not mean it was blatant or on purpose. Why would he not receive praise? Going into that fight, most said he would be in shallow water if he was taken down.. yet with his limited experience, in that fight he had shown that he has been working on his ground game, not just his striking skill sets.
-White acted like typical White.. most who were outside of the MMA world (fans, fighters, casuals, trainers, media, etc etc..) tuned into the fight because they already watch ESPN, and if that is the case, then they have seen how White acts already, so it should be of no surprise. Which is backed up by the fact, that nobody is really talking about how White acted after the fight, because it has become expected of him.
-A sport for thugs? Yet all one has to do is look at all the past Olympians, Collegiate Wrestlers, College graduates, etc etc.. that encompass the actual sport. In the main event alone, you had a past Olympic Gold Medalist, plus a past Collegiate athlete and graduate who comes from a good upbringing. In the co-main, you had a previous Loan Officer with a Finance degree from University of Texas, vs a man who tried to become a Pro Bull Rider and since then has led a lifestyle centered around Martial Arts.
-How is a legit stoppage, bad officiating? Is that simply your opinion, or do you actually believe that TJ was in the fight still? Do you think the stoppage in the Cody vs TJ 2 fight was "fair" then? Cody was still standing in their last fight, when it was stopped, and Cody was not technically out, if using the same measuring stick in two fights.
-If you plan to speak on the sport, do so correctly and without bias, not with biased opinions and blinders on. Enjoy your stay.

-Hardy was not booted from the NFL over the DV incident, those charges were dropped and expunged from his record in 2015. He failed a drug test 2016 after not being resigned.

I know what happened with charges. Everyone knows his story, everyone understands what happened and why he's not in NFL anymore. Let's be realistic here. We're not in the court.

-The kid had 3 pro fights prior to his first fight in the UFC.. many fighters with much more experience, have also thrown accidental knees. It was a reaction, which is understandable. Does not mean it was blatant or on purpose. Why would he not receive praise? Going into that fight, most said he would be in shallow water if he was taken down.. yet with his limited experience, in that fight he had shown that he has been working on his ground game, not just his striking skill sets.

This guy, no matter what experience he had, was a co-main event. A main attraction for a viewer. And that's what they got.
And rules are not made only for experienced fighters, they are made for ALL the fighters. And praising a fighter who got DQ'ed is not better than accepting a women abuser in a violent sport - but it is what it is. I just state how "perfectly" it came on display.

-White acted like typical White.. most who were outside of the MMA world (fans, fighters, casuals, trainers, media, etc etc..) tuned into the fight because they already watch ESPN, and if that is the case, then they have seen how White acts already, so it should be of no surprise. Which is backed up by the fact, that nobody is really talking about how White acted after the fight, because it has become expected of him.

Yeah, I kinda agree with this...this part probably was skipped by those who didn't care about any post-event-events and those who did, indeed know Dana well.

-A sport for thugs? Yet all one has to do is look at all the past Olympians, Collegiate Wrestlers, College graduates, etc etc.. that encompass the actual sport. In the main event alone, you had a past Olympic Gold Medalist, plus a past Collegiate athlete and graduate who comes from a good upbringing. In the co-main, you had a previous Loan Officer with a Finance degree from University of Texas, vs a man who tried to become a Pro Bull Rider and since then has led a lifestyle centered around Martial Arts.

Ah...I agree with you, don't get me wrong. But look who's on the big picture. Look who is praised. Hardy. Not Cejudo or Cerrone or Hernandez (loan officer?) - Hardy.

-How is a legit stoppage, bad officiating? Is that simply your opinion, or do you actually believe that TJ was in the fight still? Do you think the stoppage in the Cody vs TJ 2 fight fair then? Cody was still standing in their last fight, when it was stopped, and Cody was not technically out, if using the same measuring stick in two fights.

Again, my opinion (slightly early stoppage that didn't change anything) doesn't matter much, but the fact that one official figure bashes another (an org president vs the referee) is what may show how officiating in MMA looks. And that would be right.
But as you mentioned, casual would probably not be exposed on that.
It'll take time for new fans of MMA (if those come) to learn the whole crap of officiating in MMA - with incompetence and bias of USADA being a cream of the crop

I understand that it is your hidden wish, for me to be gay so it would justify your unhealthy obsession with me. You really hope we're on the same side.
But sorry, I prefer women.

And really, where is the thread dedicated to me? You're flooding again

You called me "darling". You're gay.

Back