Borschev vs Hooper: Was that a tap?

Whether it was or was not, I don't think much about that fight was going to change if it continued. Slava couldn't defend the TDs. Hooper was cutting through that guard like butter. Slava was taking damage and barely hanging on. Whether it be sub or club, a finish for Chase seemed like an inevitability.

I didn't think it was a tap at all, but I also don't believe it made much difference.

Borsh got absolutely mauled, and showed nothing in R2 that suggested starting standing in R3 would have made any difference.

One of the most comprehensive beatdowns I can recall, a complete out-classing.

I'd say no. If you're gonna tap once you gotta do it very clearly like Fedor on Werdum; hover the hand, one solid tap, and return the hand to the same position you initiated the tap with. If it looks like the fighter taps once and continues to move and defend the choke it might not have been a tap. I can see how it could've been a fakeout though.

That was close enough to a tap, during a sub, after getting a beatdown for 2 rounds, that I think it's on Slava Claus if it was an accident.

I think he might have been getting ready to tap, then thought twice or something.

The refs can't read your mind. Don't do anything resembling a tap.

No, it wasn't. Hooper didn't even get a chance really lock it up yet

Nah, incidental contact. Who the hell taps once anyway? If I'm a ref I need to see that motion at least twice to be sure. He's essentially just making contact with the opponent. He may have been getting his clock dusted but that's always a shit way for a fight to end.

I'd say no. If you're gonna tap once you gotta do it very clearly like Fedor on Werdum; hover the hand, one solid tap, and return the hand to the same position you initiated the tap with. If it looks like the fighter taps once and continues to move and defend the choke it might not have been a tap. I can see how it could've been a fakeout though.
I have to agree with this assessment. Looks like he did a single tap as a fakeout. I would have preferred the ref let him clearly submit in a choke with no arm or leg at risk.

Back