Elections Boris Johnson Turned Away From Polling Station After Forgetting ID (His Own Policy)

It means someone treated as though they don't matter by taking opportunity away from them for no real reason, or as part of sweeping generalisations.

It can be pretty context dependent, but in this instance, I think we can look at already marginalised people.

If the negative impact on someone is greater than the positive impact on a bunch of people, they're gonna be marginalised in that context. Since no one benefits from voter ID, anyone that struggles is marginalised.

Even more so if people pretend they don't matter.
Your brain is oatmeal brother.

Dems in America think blacks and minorities are too stupid to get an ID. You must be in a predominantly white country for it to work out so smoothly. Right @Siver! ?

I dunno buddy, I'm not a Dem in America.

Your brain is oatmeal brother.

I think the difference is I work with people who would fit into this category and will happily advocate for them endlessly.

But thanks for stopping by!

Former Conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson was turned away from his local polling station after forgetting to bring acceptable photo ID.
As first reported by Sky News, he returned later with the necessary ID and was able to vote.
He cast his ballot in South Oxfordshire, where voters are choosing a police and crime commissioner.
New rules requiring photo ID to vote were introduced by Mr Johnson's government in the Elections Act 2022.
The change was rolled out last year, with local elections in May 2023 the first time voters needed to show ID.
According to the Electoral Commission, about 14,000 people were unable to vote in last year's local elections in England as a result of the new rules.
There are 22 acceptable forms of ID, including passports, driving licences, older or Disabled Person's bus passes and Oyster 60+ cards.
People who are registered to vote can also apply for a free document known as a Voter Authority Certificate.
The government has also said it intends to make veterans' ID cards a valid form of voter identification after some former service personnel were turned away from polling stations.
Veterans minister Johnny Mercer apologised on social media to a man who said he was not able to use his veterans' ID card to vote.
"The legislation on acceptable forms of ID came out before the veterans ID cards started coming out in January this year," he wrote.
"I will do all I can to change it before the next one."
A No 10 spokeswoman said: "It is our intention for the new Veteran Card, which was rolled out in January, to be added to the official list."
The government is consulting on adding the card to the list of acceptable voter ID, which already includes armed forces identity cards.
Meanwhile, Conservative MP Tom Hunt said his dyspraxia caused him to lose his passport and he had to arrange an emergency proxy vote.
Asked about problems reported over voter ID, Transport Secretary Mark Harper said there were "bound to be, when you have millions of people voting, a small number of issues".
However, he said he thought "most voters have actually found it perfectly straightforward to vote with the necessary ID across the country".
Asked about Mr Johnson being turned away, Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Heaton-Harris, who served as his chief whip, told BBC Radio: "As someone who knows Boris well, I can't say it completely surprises me... I do know that he then simply went home, got some ID, went back to the polling station and voted Conservative."
The Electoral Commission said "most voters who wanted to vote were able to do so", despite voter ID requirements.
"We will now begin to collect evidence from voters, electoral administrators, partner organisations, and campaigners to understand their experiences of the elections and identify any potential obstacles to participation," a spokesman said.

---

Conservative MP Tom Hunt also had to arrange an 'emergency proxy vote'

{<jordan}

This is what happens when geniuses enforce gimmicky bills aimed at blocking people from voting against them citing barely-existent voter fraud!

Well done Boris, you utter putz!!
So his policy worked? What kind of whiny pussy gets and about that?

They tried to jeopardise voting for millions of Brits. They made it an expense for everyone.

Compared to a few hundred unproven cases of fraud at best...

Theres no 'probable' about it.
But the actual law doesn't say you need a driver's license or a passport, there are 22 forms of acceptable ID, hence the number is much less than that. Also they're offering that free ID as per OP.

I think the difference is I work with people who would fit into this category and will happily advocate for them endlessly.

But thanks for stopping by!
Lot of irrational saviour complex stagnating society. Sleep on it.

Former Conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson was turned away from his local polling station after forgetting to bring acceptable photo ID.
As first reported by Sky News, he returned later with the necessary ID and was able to vote.
He cast his ballot in South Oxfordshire, where voters are choosing a police and crime commissioner.
New rules requiring photo ID to vote were introduced by Mr Johnson's government in the Elections Act 2022.
The change was rolled out last year, with local elections in May 2023 the first time voters needed to show ID.
According to the Electoral Commission, about 14,000 people were unable to vote in last year's local elections in England as a result of the new rules.
There are 22 acceptable forms of ID, including passports, driving licences, older or Disabled Person's bus passes and Oyster 60+ cards.
People who are registered to vote can also apply for a free document known as a Voter Authority Certificate.
The government has also said it intends to make veterans' ID cards a valid form of voter identification after some former service personnel were turned away from polling stations.
Veterans minister Johnny Mercer apologised on social media to a man who said he was not able to use his veterans' ID card to vote.
"The legislation on acceptable forms of ID came out before the veterans ID cards started coming out in January this year," he wrote.
"I will do all I can to change it before the next one."
A No 10 spokeswoman said: "It is our intention for the new Veteran Card, which was rolled out in January, to be added to the official list."
The government is consulting on adding the card to the list of acceptable voter ID, which already includes armed forces identity cards.
Meanwhile, Conservative MP Tom Hunt said his dyspraxia caused him to lose his passport and he had to arrange an emergency proxy vote.
Asked about problems reported over voter ID, Transport Secretary Mark Harper said there were "bound to be, when you have millions of people voting, a small number of issues".
However, he said he thought "most voters have actually found it perfectly straightforward to vote with the necessary ID across the country".
Asked about Mr Johnson being turned away, Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Heaton-Harris, who served as his chief whip, told BBC Radio: "As someone who knows Boris well, I can't say it completely surprises me... I do know that he then simply went home, got some ID, went back to the polling station and voted Conservative."
The Electoral Commission said "most voters who wanted to vote were able to do so", despite voter ID requirements.
"We will now begin to collect evidence from voters, electoral administrators, partner organisations, and campaigners to understand their experiences of the elections and identify any potential obstacles to participation," a spokesman said.

---

Conservative MP Tom Hunt also had to arrange an 'emergency proxy vote'

{<jordan}

This is what happens when geniuses enforce gimmicky bills aimed at blocking people from voting against them citing barely-existent voter fraud!

Well done Boris, you utter putz!!

Meh... lol

The Bill worked as intended

I see no issue

It means someone treated as though they don't matter by taking opportunity away from them for no real reason, or as part of sweeping generalisations.

It can be pretty context dependent, but in this instance, I think we can look at already marginalised people.

If the negative impact on someone is greater than the positive impact on a bunch of people, they're gonna be marginalised in that context. Since no one benefits from voter ID, anyone that struggles is marginalised.

Even more so if people pretend they don't matter.

lol... Are you saying minorities, I mean "Marginalized People", are too stupid to obtain an ID?

Wow... Talk about racist

But the actual law doesn't say you need a driver's license or a passport, there are 22 forms of acceptable ID, hence the number is much less than that. Also they're offering that free ID as per OP.

Yes, I know. That article doesn't say they need a driver's license or passport.

lol... Are you saying minorities, I mean "Marginalized People", are too stupid to obtain an ID?

Wow... Talk about racist

Bro...

Did you just assume all marginalised people are foreign minorities? Even though we have discussed the different types of people that get marginalised?

Your hideous racism is showing, troll.

Shame on you.

I've never seen so many people get swept aside one after the other for making nonsense populist talking points.

It must make for boring reading.

I'm sorry for that.

I've never seen so many people get swept aside one after the other for making nonsense populist talking points.

It must make for boring reading.

I'm sorry for that.
No one has been swept aside mate.
You created a thread hoping to reinforce your feelings on the matter only to have the opposite happen. Embarrassing really.

No one has been swept aside mate.
You created a thread hoping to reinforce your feelings on the matter only to have the opposite happen. Embarrassing really.

Not really.

Pattern of the thread:

"But it doesn't affect anyone"

It does

"But they shouldn't get a vote anyway"

They should

"But what does marginalised mean?"

Explained

"But I don't care anyway!!!"

Okay

That's literally all that's going on here lol

There is no rational argument against voter ID, especially when you can apply for a free one.

Well there is one...you want to commit voter fraud

Back