Book suggestions

vision1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm 16 years old, very fit, but I have no background in any fighting style. I was wondering what book some of you would recommend I read. A book about mma training would be good, but if there are any very good specific books I'd be interested as well. I'd personaly like to learn about BJJ or Muay Tai.

I know a book is no where near as good as going to a gym and being taught, but I live in a city with not many gyms around (other than YMCA).

thanks for your help

A book can never substitue a good teacher. In fact, I'd say you're better off not learning then from trying to learn from a book. The reason being that there's no skilled teacher to pick up on any bad habits you might have. If they're not corrected early in your training, they'll be harder to correct down the road as they've become comfortable. What city do you live in? I'm sure there's probably more gyms than you think...they're just not advertised. There might even be a good teacher who teaches out of some basement or backroom. Have you looked at the school database to see if there's any schools listed in your city?

Would you mind giving me a link to the school database?

thanks

I looked in the yellowpages, and I found a few other gyms. I couldn't find anything though on the styles I'd like to learn. This is what I could find:

Karate
Jiu Jitsu
Tae Kwon Do
Samurai Sword
Aikido
Kick Boxing
Tai Chi
Kobudo
Pa Qua
Iaido
Krav Maga

Are any of those very effective? The problem is I live in a rich city, and I have a feeling most of these would be more of a cardio class, or a self-defence for older women.

thanks again for any help

Take up the Kickboxing class, and eventually you'll find more people talking about MMA, alternatively you should list your location so people can help you on a more refined basis.

but as was said, a book cant substitute for a teacher. A book is good for extra refining techniques, but you'd still need a partner for it anyways.

~Foz

My friend told me he knows someone who does BJJ where I live so I can start that once I find out where it is.

I was thinking of doing both BJJ and kickboxing, but I'm not sure whether it would be better to start both at the same time, or do one at a time?

Do the kickboxing for maybe 2-3 months and then look into grappling/BJJ classes, the kickboxing classes should teach you to generate power from your hips which will help when you get round to grappling.

^^^

what he said, and if you aren't conditioned for doing say 2 kickboxing classes and 2 grappling classes a week, you will break, you'll be tired because you're body wont be used to the workload, take it slow and build up.

~Foz

Fozzy said:
^^^

what he said, and if you aren't conditioned for doing say 2 kickboxing classes and 2 grappling classes a week, you will break, you'll be tired because you're body wont be used to the workload, take it slow and build up.

~Foz

Yeah...I started out grappling just 2 times a week. I know if I had started with the 4-5 days I do right now, I would have got burnt out on it and quit, leaving me BJJ less, which would suck.

Good advice has been given so far. Start with the Kickboxing and move to a grappling class. You will enjoy it assuming you find a good teacher/gym.

in my opinion its an either or situation, start with whatever you want and then add the other one later.

I personaly started with grappling because it is more awkward for me (thus getting the harder stuff out of the way)

anyway point being is it doesnt realy matter, just start doing somthing

From experience I'd say that a book won't teach you anything if you don't have regular practice to implement what you read in...

I'm 16 years old, very fit, but I have no background in any fighting style. I was wondering what book some of you would recommend I read. A book about mma training would be good, but if there are any very good specific books I'd be interested as well. I'd personaly like to learn about BJJ or Muay Tai.

I know a book is no where near as good as going to a gym and being taught, but I live in a city with not many gyms around (other than YMCA).

thanks for your help
December 29, 2009
New York
Good Mountain Tactical Training Center, LLC

PRESS RELEASE

Top Israeli Hand-to-Hand Combat Expert Boaz Aviram Publishes Krav-Maga Bible

Krav Maga

Back