Bomb explodes in Bangkok

Everyone assuming this is Muslims are jumping to irrational conclusions and probably racist.

Everyone assuming this is Muslims are jumping to irrational conclusions and probably racist.

Yes, considering the part of the world its most likely just ETArras or IRAs right?

You're taking the piss, but it really is jumping to conclusions in regards to violence in Bangkok.
The fact that it was at a temple might support the idea, but it's also a tourist spot in the central business district.
There have been a couple of pipe bomb attacks at malls and a car bomb attack as well recently.
So far the local theories are still covering basically every political element in the country.
The current political strife is a lot larger and more widespread than the Muslim separatists in the south.
They weren't under martial law (which is still effectively in place from what I understand, regardless of whether it's officially "lifted"), and now a new security decree, because of the threat of Muslim insurrection.

Edit: Supposedly two more bombs have been found by police

Thai police have reportedly deactivated two more bombs after a large explosion hit Bangkok, amid fears more have been planted around the city.

Last edited:
Thailand as country is experiencing a political instability.

Prayers and thought to all the victim involves.

and lets not jump into any conclusion since CMIWW Thai police has not say anything yet.

Kudos on you're ability to make something like this about you.

Thanks for your input. You're constantly a douche bag on here. I don't put you on ignore because your batshit crazy opinions are hilarious to me. Carry on.

Oeshon usually likes giving Thai travel advice.

Last edited:
I never get cowardly attacks. If you are a hero or criminal, have an agenda at least give people a chance to defend themselves. Terrible ideas as usual prevailing once again.

Kudos on you're ability to make something like this about you.

and what is the problem? He's simply asking about the safety of the area....

my cousin happens to be in thailand as well, but a foreigner and not in bangkok at the moment, she should go home if the atmosphere seems unstable......

nothing wrong with asking for travel advice

Is your friend ok? What's the mood there?

I'm stopping through Bangkok in October with my girlfriend to do Angkor in Cambodia/Phi Phi islands in Krabi.

This annoys me. As the reason I've never been to Bali and it's so cheap from here is because of the Bali bombing.

He took the day off work and sounds a bit traumatized by it, which is understandable. Quite a few people arn't going into work today and staying at home. A lot of people will be avoiding public places. There are 10 areas the media is saying to avoid.

This isn't the first bomb in Bangkok but it is certainly the biggest and worst yet. There was actually a bombing right near the skytrain in the same area only a few months back but I don't think that bombing caused any casualties. There have also been periodic bombings over the years but they are very rarely in tourist areas. This one is right at Erawan Shrine, which is full of people at all times of the day. Apparently they also found another bomb that didn't go off nearby at one of the shopping malls.

I haven't had a chance to read up on the news about this too much. Going to go through some of it when I get a chance in a couple hours. Really hoping this is just a once off kinda thing and not a sign of things to come.

Last edited:
and what is the problem? He's simply asking about the safety of the area....

my cousin happens to be in thailand as well, but a foreigner and not in bangkok at the moment, she should go home if the atmosphere seems unstable......

nothing wrong with asking for travel advice

Since you're the second person question it, I'll answer for it.

Did the party where he said this annoys him because it could hurt his traveling interest not seem horribly selfish in the wake of people losing their lives? I read it like people's lives are shattered, and its annoying to him cause now he can't go to another place that's nice and cheap.

No? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I apologize to everyone.

Thailand has a Muslim population of about 5-10% and has been battling an insurgency in south Thailand for the past 50 or so years.

Bombing is a consistent thing down south but I don't think this is related. They have never really brought their fight up to Bangkok before.

This could be related to the recent Uyguher's being sent back to China. It could also be political. I'm hoping they figure it out so we can get some concrete answers on who and why.

10min ago another bomb.

this time on the other side of town near Saphan Thaksin bridge.

no injuries or casualties.

shit is getting real?

Bangkok bomb was worst ever attack on Thailand, says PM

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has said the bombing of a shrine in the capital, Bangkok, on Monday was the "worst ever attack" on the country.

The attack killed at least 20 people, including foreigners, and scores were injured.

Mr Prayuth said the perpetrators had not been identified, but that police were investigating one suspect seen on security footage at the shrine.

The bomb targeted the Erawan Hindu shrine, a major tourist attraction.

It was detonated at about 19:00 local time (12:00 GMT) on Monday when the shrine, and the busy Ratchaprasong junction where it is located, were crowded.

"This is the worst incident that has ever happened in Thailand," Mr Prayuth said.

"There have been minor bombs or just noise, but this time they aim for innocent lives. They want to destroy our economy, our tourism."

Authorities are now examining video footage taken from several CCTV cameras around the shrine for clues, says the BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok.

They say they are looking for one young man who appears to walk into the shrine wearing a black backpack, but is then seen walking without it.

Members of the public are also handing in their own video coverage.

The bomb was clearly placed to cause maximum casualties, our correspondent says, and there is a lingering sense of shock in Thailand, which until now had been spared the kinds of terrorist incidents experienced by some of its neighbours.

Bangkok is now sitting back and wondering who could possibly have carried out this act and what their motives could have been.

There is no shortage of potential suspects - people might wonder if it was the Muslim insurgency fighting for an independent state in the deep south. Lots of bombs go off there but, the insurgents have never perpetrated an attack outside their own area, so this would be an entire change in tactics.

People also look at the recent political violence and wonder if factions who lost out might have been involved.

It will be some time before the government gives some idea of what we should be looking for.

National police chief Somyot Poompummuang earlier described the device as a "pipe bomb" and said it had been placed inside the shrine. Reports said 3kg of TNT had been used in the bomb.

"Whoever planted this bomb is cruel and aimed to kill. Planting a bomb there means they want to see a lot of people dead," he said.

Marko Cunningham, a New Zealand paramedic working with a Bangkok ambulance service, said the scene was "like a meat market".

"There were bodies everywhere. Some were shredded. It was horrific," he told the Reuters news agency.

The shrine is dedicated to the Hindu god Brahma, but is also visited by thousands of Buddhists each day.

_85012316_hi028595798.jpg

_85012317_hi028595694.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33969621

Last edited:
Bombing is a consistent thing down south but I don't think this is related. They have never really brought their fight up to Bangkok before.

This could be related to the recent Uyguher's being sent back to China. It could also be political. I'm hoping they figure it out so we can get some concrete answers on who and why.

nothing says "please let us stay in your country. we will be killed in China" better than attacking the said country citizens, their shrine and putting in jeopardy one of the country's main if not the main source of income.

Back