Body Types for striking

X

xSwackAttackx

I understand I probably should not have started another thread, but here it goes. After alot of research I have decided to attempt to strart training muay thai later this year. I was cursed with a very typical "wrestlers body", i am about 5'11'' and weigh a solid 220, which has served me well in various grappling arts but i fear will hurt me now. when i see muay thai or other striking arts (besides boxing) rarely do you see a guy built like me. Is this giong to be an issue?

They're all skinny and I think it's because they want super-reach and remain in low weight-class. In boxing you'll be fine (Butterbean). Not sure how a big man kicks.

nah man everybody can do it. there are pros/cons for all body types.

Just think about all the fighters around your size, they all have a similar style, power and agression.

Mike Tyson, Ray Sefo, Mark Hunt. Look at their styles, all somewhat the same, or at least have the same idea in general. They are knockout punchers, they know how to use their short limbs to get inside and use hooks and short overhand rights. You will be fine.

You've got about 30 lbs on me but you have my body style.

The thing you have to remember in MT the heavy weight/open weight catagory starts at 100kg or 95kg if your in thailand. That means to be honest your at the lowest end of a big weight division.

I'd say if your fit and strong stay with it. But if you can lose some weight so your at the end of a lower weight class.

Or alternatively get to like 110Kg and you'll have a advantage (ie weight is localised around the core, so against the bigger fellas your inside work and strength will be much greater)

i have trained Muay thai snce been a kid. As already stated there are pros and cons to every body type. I'm 6 ft and 180ib and im having the same dillema about my wrestling, but as my coach says you have to maximise your atributes

You should just give it a go
in my oppinion train for about 6 months before considering fighting anyway.

Best of luck with your traning

The guys that have already posted here are all right, especially about maximising your attributes, you sound like you could be quite effective fighting out of a clinch, especially with your grappling backround, so get in close and work those elbows!.
good luck

No issue. Learn your strengths and weakness then adjust your game. Different sized people will fight differently. Notice how heavy weight boxers fight differently than a welter weights.

Watch Mark Hunt fight.

Basically, in my opinion, fat guys who know how to move their hips punch like mules.

mark hunt, lebanner, sefo, filo, cro cop, bernardo are all "stocky/muscular" guys

xSwackAttackx said:
I understand I probably should not have started another thread, but here it goes. After alot of research I have decided to attempt to strart training muay thai later this year. I was cursed with a very typical "wrestlers body", i am about 5'11'' and weigh a solid 220, which has served me well in various grappling arts but i fear will hurt me now. when i see muay thai or other striking arts (besides boxing) rarely do you see a guy built like me. Is this giong to be an issue?

I have almost identical stats as you do(6 ft 225lbs approx 9-10%BF). One piece of advice you should take to heart dearly is trying to learn how to be loose. "Unlearn" being tight from wrestling and weight lifting. If you are tight, you will gass out and your punches will suck. If you can master good foot work basics/defense(slipping/blocking) you are well on your way to do decent. The thing you will have (if you have a strong torso and legs I assume) is a MASSIVE hook and straight punch once you learn how to punch properly. To learn these things can take you at least 6 months(many people take a long time to properly learn to execute a hook). You will have to learn how to read/ block/ outmanouver high kicks from tall guys though...

your body type is only a liability of you get coached by a guy who applies the same template to every type of fighter. If you train under a guy who is wise and savvy enough to push you towards playing up your relative strengths and minimizing your relative weaknesses, you'll do fine. If you train under "one-size-fits-all" coach, you may have problems.

I don't think there is a "best body type" for striking. Big strong guys can take a hit to give a hit and throw bombs. A smaller, more slightly-built fighter can use evasion and agility while landing four shots where a big dude may land one. The key factor in being a better fighter is developing your game around the best tools you have in your toolbox.

Gregster said:
your body type is only a liability of you get coached by a guy who applies the same template to every type of fighter. If you train under a guy who is wise and savvy enough to push you towards playing up your relative strengths and minimizing your relative weaknesses, you'll do fine. If you train under "one-size-fits-all" coach, you may have problems.

I don't think there is a "best body type" for striking. Big strong guys can take a hit to give a hit and throw bombs. A smaller, more slightly-built fighter can use evasion and agility while landing four shots where a big dude may land one. The key factor in being a better fighter is developing your game around the best tools you have in your toolbox.

Excellent post.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Just think about all the fighters around your size, they all have a similar style, power and agression.

Mike Tyson, Ray Sefo, Mark Hunt. Look at their styles, all somewhat the same, or at least have the same idea in general. They are knockout punchers, they know how to use their short limbs to get inside and use hooks and short overhand rights. You will be fine.

I'm built the same, so your post made me feel a lot better too man :D Thanks!

I am 5'9 and weigh 200lbs, I hit fast and really hard. I drop to 185 for a fight, you should probably stetch a lot and try to get down 15 to 20 lbs. do a lot of twisting and rotary work.

your hight may be an issue but if you can get to the inside and work on how you fight from the inside then you can be very damaging to your opponent. the only thing is you chin must be good because to get inside your gona eat a shot or too but as long as you can take that shot and get in any way you can be very succesfull.

its better to be skinny than fat this has been proven time and time again. thank you. goodbye.

OpethDrums said:
its better to be skinny than fat this has been proven time and time again. thank you. goodbye.

Kaoklai vs. Mighty Mo, exactly.

Back