Body spasms/jerks from too much exercise?

Tug

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I train a lot in one week sometimes I have trouble sleeping because of, what I believe to be called, "brain zaps". Just when I'm about to fall asleep I get a big jolt through my body like electricity that can make my body spasm. If any of you have had dreams where you're falling and then wake up with a thud, it's a similar sensation only I'm not asleep. I had them last night and it sucks. I also feel a little weak and shaky today also.

It seems the term "brain zap" is related primarily to anti-depressant withdrawal, only I'm not on any nor have I ever been. This is not the first time I've them either, and the only commonality I can think of is that I've trained harder and longer in the days running up to it. However, a cursory googling doesn't show much relation to overtraining or too much exercise. It's from doing Muay Thai so I am worried maybe it's to do with getting hit, but I haven't taken any hard hits at all this week that have left me rattled.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Aside from resting, which I plan to for the next few days, are there any ways to help or alleviate it? I've tried to keep hydrated and made sure I'm not low on electrolytes.

Last edited:
Not sure what "brain zaps" is, but I sometimes wake myself up via kicking/punching (violent arm or leg extension). Happens when I'm asleep or half-asleep, though; never when awake.

First time I had that happen was when I was training MT a lot. Seems to be happening again now that I'm doing oly lifting shit. Feels like it's just the explosive extension motor patterns being "stuck in my head" after all that repetition in practice and visualization.

Not sure what "brain zaps" is, but I sometimes wake myself up via kicking/punching (violent arm or leg extension). Happens when I'm asleep or half-asleep, though; never when awake.

First time I had that happen was when I was training MT a lot. Seems to be happening again now that I'm doing oly lifting shit. Feels like it's just the explosive extension motor patterns being "stuck in my head" after all that repetition in practice and visualization.

Apparently I punch and kick as I fall asleep when I have a fight coming up. I've had to apologise to a person or two for it.

Brain zaps is just the term I could find that best fits the symptoms, but yes, at one point was what I thought to be a kick that nearly knocked me out of bed. Most of them are like an electric shock or jolt through my body though

^That has happened to me on the odd occasion, but I've never made a connection with it to exercise. The last time it happened was the first time I slept with my GF. I think it was just my body getting used to having a new person in bed with me. It was gone after a night or two.

Interesting, now I have a name for them.

Wikipedia says "Hypnic jerks are more frequent in childhood with 4

I used to get those on and off but come to think of it, I can't think of the last time that happened to me. I think they might have stopped around the time I turned 30.

When I train a lot in one week sometimes I have trouble sleeping because of, what I believe to be called, "brain zaps". Just when I'm about to fall asleep I get a big jolt through my body like electricity that can make my body spasm. If any of you have had dreams where you're falling and then wake up with a thud, it's a similar sensation only I'm not asleep. I had them last night and it sucks. I also feel a little weak and shaky today also.

It seems the term "brain zap" is related primarily to anti-depressant withdrawal, only I'm not on any nor have I ever been. This is not the first time I've them either, and the only commonality I can think of is that I've trained harder and longer in the days running up to it. However, a cursory googling doesn't show much relation to overtraining or too much exercise. It's from doing Muay Thai so I am worried maybe it's to do with getting hit, but I haven't taken any hard hits at all this week that have left me rattled.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Aside from resting, which I plan to for the next few days, are there any ways to help or alleviate it? I've tried to keep hydrated and made sure I'm not low on electrolytes.

dude, just man the fuck up. deal with it.

If you're starting to become concerned with it you should look into wearing a sleep monitor for a few nights. Could be developing sleep apnea.. Might be a jolt from not breathing right after falling asleep and your brain forcing you awake. Don't know the relationship between over training or anything, but sleep apnea might be something to look into. Especially if you feel tired or shaky the next day.

Apparently I punch and kick as I fall asleep when I have a fight coming up. I've had to apologise to a person or two for it.

Damn. I hope you guys aren't married.

These are supposed to be common when your brain is passing from conscious awareness state into actual sleep... when the paralysis associated with sleep hasn't taken hold yet. I do it often, but it's usually a single limb and not my whole body unless I begin to dream that I fell down.

Thanks all, still not sure of the terminology but last night I slept fine after a solid day of rest, so I definitely think it's related to overtraining. I forgot to mention, it is also accompanied by a general lethargy and jitters/shakes, so I think epilepsy and apnea could be ruled out.

I might book an appointment with my doctor if it keeps happening because it's disruptive and makes me feel like shit the next day. I already supplement magnesium and zinc, but maybe it's something else I'm lacking.

Last edited:
^That has happened to me on the odd occasion, but I've never made a connection with it to exercise. The last time it happened was the first time I slept with my GF. I think it was just my body getting used to having a new person in bed with me. It was gone after a night or two.

Odd, I usually only "jerk" when my GF isn't in bed with me.

These are supposed to be common when your brain is passing from conscious awareness state into actual sleep... when the paralysis associated with sleep hasn't taken hold yet. I do it often, but it's usually a single limb and not my whole body unless I begin to dream that I fell down.

The difference for me is the zap from falling asleep is just one jerk while the ones from SSRI's are all night long.

They're also called "brain freeze" and are the worst with Effexor. I get them when I take Remeron for sleep after not taking it for a few nights. I shake so bad my wife has to go sleep on the couch.

Just so we're clear, this is not from withdrawal; I used the term "brain zaps" for want of a better word. I've edited the thread title to reflect that. Sorry, don't mean to confuse.

Lol, I get this when I'm on the train to uni and trying to sleep with the wagon packed full. Freaks people out.

It is a fairly common occurrence in healthy people, not related to exercise as far as I'm aware.

A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.[4]

These are frequently seen on the train in Japan when people doze off. Japanese people sleep everywhere and have shitty sleep schedules as they spend so much time at work or school. It's funny to see someone suddenly twitch or their leg lashes out then they groggily look around and wipe drool off their chin.

Back