Bobby Knuckles showing there are levels, even at this stage of his career

I don't see Bobby as having declined. He arguably beat Izzy in the second fight, handily beat Costa, wrecked Vettori, had one bad showing against DDP. He is only 33, is still the fastest striker and best rounded fighter in the division.
I think his chin is fading but other than that he's still a motherfucker

Just picked Ikram apart.

Whittaker has looked like he might be on the tail end of his career, but when he's firing on all cylinders he's easily one of the consistent top 5 MWs out there.

This was him at his best. Very fast, great placement and variation of strikes.

He’s a fighters fighter. Lots of the Aussie guys are like that, Volk for example

Yeah suddenly Rob is not past his prime anymore. Its amazing how hes able to magically jump between being past his prime and not past his prime depending on whether or not he loses to the absolute best guys in the division.
It’s been said that a man cannot have two primes. Nothing has been said about wading in and out of a singular prime though!

Think about all these logjams we see. Oh everyone's booked so ranked fighter A over here can't fight. Nah, have him fight a cab driver IDGAF. Get passed up for a title shot because you sat out while some other guy beat 15 boxercisers. I think that'd be hilarious.

The ufc acts like it's above showcase fights and it's fucking annoying tbh. There's a reason all other combat sports and orgs do them. Fighting nothing but killers back to back is bad for your health. Every now and then, throw these guys a softball ffs. It leads to more finishes, top guys take less damage and can fight more often, fans are happier.

Pride understood this. Of course people will jump in with the best vs the best ufc spin like they don't already do whatever they want with matchmaking. They had a pro wreslter fighting for the hw title after like 2 fights. I don't want to hear that they can't do showcases because of the integrity of the sport, we're all grown here.

Preach! I hate how UFC tends to throw top guys away after a high-profile loss.

Preach! I hate how UFC tends to throw top guys away after a high-profile loss.
I've honestly thought about this a lot over the years. They've ruined so many guys. Just throw concussion after concussion at them and them toss them in the garbage when they're out of prime. JDS is one that stands out. They had to rush the trilogy, then they had to keep giving him nothing but top guys. Pride could be ruthless but they understood that you have to let guys recover. And that cutting guys for losing only leads to people being cautious and boring.

People bitch about boring fights but blame the ufc for taking every chance they can to cut guys or make them take a paycut if they lose, on top of having a rigorous strength of schedule.

Seriously, people talk as if he had been on a decline or something. Other than a bad showing with DDP, he has looked as sharp and consistent as anyone.
Exactly, since his 1st loss to Izzy, he has beaten Till, Cannonier, Gastellum, the lost the 2nd Izzy fight, which many thought he won, Absolutely demolished Vettori, lost to DDP, beat Costa and Iskram...

Really, if thats not basically a gauntlet of fighters, and his only loses being to the current or former MW champ... losing to those guys doesnt mean your past your prime.. He is still the best in the world and can beat anyone. Would love to see him fight DDP again... that was a very weird fight

UFC needs to throw more sub-#15 guys at middling top/former top guys for reinvigorating finishes
You can blame Chimaev for that. Robert showed up
The ufc acts like it's above showcase fights and it's fucking annoying tbh. There's a reason all other combat sports and orgs do them. Fighting nothing but killers back to back is bad for your health. Every now and then, throw these guys a softball ffs. It leads to more finishes, top guys take less damage and can fight more often, fans are happier.

Pride understood this. Of course people will jump in with the best vs the best ufc spin like they don't already do whatever they want with matchmaking. They had a pro wreslter fighting for the hw title after like 2 fights. I don't want to hear that they can't do showcases because of the integrity of the sport, we're all grown here.
And also there are tons of guys in the lower ranks who can absolutely compete at top level. Win win. If someone finds out they've hit a wall, they still got their chance.

And half of sherdog gassed up Ikram saying he was the toughest fight for Rob and was gonna chin him in round 1 because Rob has looked off, mean while he went into the Dricus fight underestimating him because he was 14th ranked, and went into the fight with a broken foot, and Rob went into the Costa fight with the Flu, but apparently Rob is washed

I mean he is a former champion, still contender worthy, and actively beats prestigious opponents....Rob would of been the 2nd greatest mw of all time if Izzy didn't fight in the division

Also, Ikram was on Dana's Contender series just 2 years ago. It would be more mind boggling if it was tight match between the two.

Whittaker took the Khamzat fight without flinching.

One of them was gonna get exposed -- and that was Khamzat.

Destroying the young gun -- was the cherry on top.

"easily one of the consistent top 5 MWs "

Uhm... Yeah? He lost to DDP and Adesanya in the last 10 years, I'd say it is pretty obvious and does not have to be stated that he is an elite fighter.

Back