Board shorts vs Fight shorts

Ghostdogg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
as a big man finding no gi shorts is sort of a challenge. But what are the difference in board shorts and fight shorts also any big guys out their found a good company for big man shorts let me know thanx. im also using them for no gi training

Im about 210 pounds 6'0 and I wear sprawl fight shorts and they are comfortable and mobile for me so maybe give them a shot. I wear board shorts too and they dont give me much of a problem either

fight shorts stay up better. That's about the sum of it. They have string and velcro system that is more secure and sturdy than your average board short.

I have Atama fight shorts and they have never even slipped down to show some crack even once.

Also fight shorts sometimes have slits in the side of the legs to give you a little more flexiblity. I have real No-Gi ones that Belfort sometimes wears, but I had to die the front part black because of the stupid IBJJF rules. :icon_conf

board shorts are ok as long:

they do not have any external pocket and external strings.

Kimura Wear makes up to size 42 fight shorts.

Sounds like you'll need to order them online, I have the luxury of being from Las Vegas so I bought both pairs of shorts when OTM had them on sale. I have a pair of Hitman fight shorts and they've worked out great for me.

any idea which ones have like xxl or like 42 44 size ones

i wear size 42 jeans and tried the sprawl and chute boxe fight shorts in size 42. they both fit GREAT. i hear that the tapout shorts fit similar to chute boxe which were incredibly comfy

I think fight shorts generally have a slit in the sides which is why I don't like them for grappling. (They ride up too high). Board shorts are closed seam.

Fight shorts will actually make your no gi fighting alot better, you dont worry about your pants falling down and the material is better and more flexible

Fight shorts will actually make your no gi fighting alot better, you dont worry about your pants falling down and the material is better and more flexible

That's pretty much the experience I had with my fight shorts (I bought a pair of kimura wear shorts a while ago, still hold up really nicely)

board shorts are ok as long:

they do not have any external pocket and external strings.

I wear board shorts that have a drawstring, never had a problem. My gi pants have a drawstring, so I'm not sure the distinction. What have you seen that makes this undesirable?

I wear board shorts that have a drawstring, never had a problem. My gi pants have a drawstring, so I'm not sure the distinction. What have you seen that makes this undesirable?

It is a safety issue same as outside pocket, you do not want your fingers caught in it during a big throw.

I went from boardshorts to fight shorts and it helps alot with maneuverability and they stay up good. Also nothing to catch your fingers in.
I also found board shorts stuck to my knee and thighs when spreading my leg wide etc

Back