Boar/Pig/Hog hunting calibers

Bad news gang, We've had mass flooding here so (provided the pigs haven't washed away) that jungle is going to be even more outta control. When I go out next.

More food, more cover . . . more hogs. I still have several sounders running around where I deer hunt. I'm not close enough to get down there regularly and try to thin them suckers out.

Clapped a mumma pig today. about 40 - 60 yards away (Not entirely sure) we we about 4m above it on a dam wall and noticed the piglets running away then spotted the mumma pig sitting in the scrub. My mate fired (we were both using 30-30's) first and it went down, but kept getting up and turning around. I fired a shot and it stopped moving instantly. Unfortunately when we got down there we realised that his shot was 100% fatal and the pig was dead before it hit the ground (Barely any blood even after we mounted it upside down from a tree branch to try and butcher the backstraps), shot entered about 2cm above its eyes right in the middle of its forehead. My shot however blew straight through its spine fragmenting through the surrounding meat and absolutely demolished any chance of my mate getting some back straps for his dogs. The Winchester Super X rounds were fantastic first time using them. I was quite impressed with their accuracy also. I was using irons and my friend was using a cheap and nasty red dot. We would have liked to have gotten the piglets as well, but they were moving fast and with irons and a shit red dot at that range they may not have been ethical shots to take.
While these creatures are pests we don't want any of them to suffer if we can avoid it. This is probably the cleanest kill we've ever had though 1 in 1000 shot imo.

I bought the highly recommended Taurus 3Gc (rated best pistol under $300). I loaded it up and put it with my others. My son came over, and I went to show it to him. I released the magazine, but when I tried to slide the action back to eject the remaining round, the slide would not budge over an inch. I've had this gun since Thanksgiving and it's a paperweight until I take it to a gunsmith.

In March I took it to my shooting range. The guy unjammed it about as fast as I blinked and didn't charge me anything, so yeah that was awesome.

Citadel Levtac 92 (Rossi made under Citadel branding).
Nice, I'm off Saturday morning for a family holiday (excuse for me to go shooting) hopefully we should see some pigs as there's plenty of feed around.

Also don't be hesitant to take running shots on pigs, the more practice the easier it becomes until it's like 2nd nature.

Nice, I'm off Saturday morning for a family holiday (excuse for me to go shooting) hopefully we should see some pigs as there's plenty of feed around.

Also don't be hesitant to take running shots on pigs, the more practice the easier it becomes until it's like 2nd nature.
The majority of the pigs around here honestly just stare at you, it's rare for them to run until you've actually shot. I've never used a 44 magnum before so I'll have to get used to it. I've shot my fair share of 12g and 30-30 rounds though so it shouldn't be too new of an experience. I'll hopefully give it a run Sunday

Picked up a Howa .223 today, well I bought it, have to wait for my PTA to clear before I can take it home.

Still waiting on my PTA for the Howa to clear. Fuck me I've had terrible luck with the PTA wait times recently (well everyone has) they've blown out to 30 days 6 months ago they were 3 day expected wait time.

Man, wild boar is the BEST sausage...

Man, wild boar is the BEST sausage...
Ones here are currently tearing up lettuce and beetroot crops. The local hunters are dropping so many I think they've given up even trying to butcher them. It's an agricultural nightmare here to the point that when I'm dropping them I'm either burying them with the backhoe or just dragging them to a meat ants next to let them deal with it.

Ones here are currently tearing up lettuce and beetroot crops. The local hunters are dropping so many I think they've given up even trying to butcher them. It's an agricultural nightmare here to the point that when I'm dropping them I'm either burying them with the backhoe or just dragging them to a meat ants next to let them deal with it.

Probably already posted but worth a second go.

Probably already posted but worth a second go.

While it's not Jon Jones this guy is one of the absolute best shots I have ever seen. Australian guy up North Queensland using an FAL

While it's not Jon Jones this guy is one of the absolute best shots I have ever seen. Australian guy up North Queensland using an FAL

WOWWWWW!!!
In the second part of the vid, that's excatly what Sgt. Alvin York did in WWI when captured 132 German soldiers.

Yes, he got them to surrender pretty much by himself. He went from back to front so the ones at the head of the line wouldn't get spooked.

WOWWWWW!!!
In the second part of the vid, that's excatly what Sgt. Alvin York did in WWI when captured 132 German soldiers.

Yes, he got them to surrender pretty much by himself. He went from back to front so the ones at the head of the line wouldn't get spooked.
The guy in the video is a phenomenal shot, great clean and ethical hunter. The Helicopter pilot is not to shabby either.

How did he get that firearm in Australia. I hear it’s nearly impossible to get anything like that(semi auto) in that country.

Back