Bluray collections, yay or nay?

i never had a dvd collection. I didnt make good enough money until the last few years at which point i started fresh with blue ray. Im not complsive or wasteful though, only purchase ones i have already seen and know i will enjoy. I have about 25 movies so far.

I recently bought breaking bad seasons 1-4 on blu ray for about 35$ total

Where from?

Thanks for the input everyone. It's such a bitch deciding what to buy on Bluray and to agree with someone earlier, it's a pain that a lot of the things you want to watch (i.e. older HBO) isn't yet released.

Seriously, I would pay big money for a box set of the Sopranos, the Wire and OZ on BD.

I know how heartbroken all you guys who collected VHS must've been - the transition to DVD then to BD must've been unbearable for the collector in you!

Where from?

Thanks for the input everyone. It's such a bitch deciding what to buy on Bluray and to agree with someone earlier, it's a pain that a lot of the things you want to watch (i.e. older HBO) isn't yet released.

Seriously, I would pay big money for a box set of the Sopranos, the Wire and OZ on BD.

I know how heartbroken all you guys who collected VHS must've been - the transition to DVD then to BD must've been unbearable for the collector in you!

I posted the links on the latest Breaking Bad thread here but nobody seemed to care. Best Buy had buy one get one free for seasons 1 & 2 for 11.99 total and Amazon had seasons 3 and 4 for around 11$ each.

You can get ridiculously cheap Blu Ray's on Amazon..... I have close to 100 now.... At one point I had about 500 regular DVDs. Fell on some hard times and had to seel them, so I'm rebuilding my empire in Blu Ray.

You can get ridiculously cheap Blu Ray's on Amazon..... I have close to 100 now.... At one point I had about 500 regular DVDs. Fell on some hard times and had to seel them, so I'm rebuilding my empire in Blu Ray.

They had so many 3-5$ blu rays around black Friday too. I got quite a few

I try to get the BluRay + DVD combo pack so if one disc becomes unreadable, hopefully the other disc works ok. With some DVD's, the picture quality is noticeably worse than BluRay.

I have a grand total of 3 BluRay's, and zero are UFC.

Yes I have a BD collection and mostly buy BD with movies I really like. I still buy DVD time to time.

Yep, it's frustrating, eh? It's almost unfathomable now to think of the length of the reign of VHS (1971-1995, although VHS was still predominant in sales until 2001 or something like that). Now that we've gone digital I don't see a reason for even people who are affluent to waste money on building libraries. Just pick the few movies you know you're going to watch again and again with friends, and leave the rest at the store. There's just going to be a new format in 5-10 years. The truth is that Blu-Ray as the industry uses it would already be obsolete if it didn't place too much stress on the consumer expecting them to buy new Blu-Ray players and movies, and too much stress on the industry buying brand new filming equipment. They'll throw superficial distractions out there like 3D until the technology has so overwhelmingly eclipsed the 1080p Blu-Ray standard that even the least sensitive, untrained eye is drawn to it like a fool to a Ponzi scheme: ball of crumpled money in fist. I have no idea what that standard will be: maybe something like 5760x3240 with subpixel rendering and other unrealized visual acceleration technologies. The Hobbit looks poised to finally break us out of a century-long 24fps standard, too.

Also, anybody who tells you that piracy was an alternative to DVD's doesn't know what he is talking about: widespread lossless video was a unicorn until the past few years. Even now, there's very little lossless Blu-Ray out there, and unless you're on a freaking T3 connection, who has time to download it? I saw a lossless version of the first season of Game of Thrones: 212GB. Have fun downloading that, and unless you have a Blu-Ray burner, have fun storing it, too.

I still have my VHS and watch them sometimes.

in case anyone was wondering, you can get the batman trilogy for 30 at best buy. i also bought the ocean's 11 and lotr extended trilogy for 9.99 and 25.99 respectively.

But do you really think that bluray will enhance anything on say, a movie from the
80s or 90s? The first time a blueray blew me away was saving private ryan, but I would not expect the experience to change much for most movies.

Theres a bunch of older movies that look miles better on blu ray
-Jaws
-ET
-Back to the future
-Apocalypse now
-Alien

and many more

in case anyone was wondering, you can get the batman trilogy for 30 at best buy. i also bought the ocean's 11 and lotr extended trilogy for 9.99 and 25.99 respectively.

Walmart was selling all 3 movies of Batman for 30 and I did buy lotr trilogy on BD for 10 as well. The prices of BD have gone hella down.

But do you really think that bluray will enhance anything on say, a movie from the
80s or 90s? The first time a blueray blew me away was saving private ryan, but I would not expect the experience to change much for most movies.
NHB, if the master negative has been properly maintained (or remastered), then Blu-Ray will show the benefits of an enhanced image quality on a movie from the 1930's. You're confusing the mode of consumption with the source of the image.

Hollywood didn't start shooting digital movies until the new Star Wars. Prior to that (and for a good while after), everything was film. The image quality of well-produced film far surpasses the 1080p standard. Digital hasn't yet improved the quality of film; it's improved the quality of the image in home video:
Blu-Ray > DVD > VHS

The master negative 35mm print of Gone with the Wind in 1939 was every bit as high resolution as the 1080p you see today; considerably higher, in fact, I believe, but I'll have to double-check that with my father. Maybe Seven Samurai can confirm. The problem was the generational loss of quality via copying. The advantage of digital is improved home video quality; a lowering cost of production; the fidelity, ease and cost of reproduction (of the original image); the ease with which you can edit and manipulate the image; and the immortality of the original image in its pristine state (i.e. you don't have to worry about the negative degrading).

Also, in the future, the source quality of digital will surpass 35mm and even 80mm film. It's potential for improvement in the realm of reproducing the precise capture of light is unmatched by anything analog/celluloid.

*Edit* Yeah, I just asked my father about an old 35mm negative print compared to a 1080p digital source video, and he texted me: "The 35mm will be a much, much, much higher resolution."

Last edited:
just seen some guys on youtube recently - coolduder and wetmovie1: they have absolutely huge collections. they get more in one week than i get in months, lol.

Personally I think you should just download and skip blu rays all together. That's what I did and I have around 375 movies and I would say 360 of them are in HD I also have complete seasons of TV shows. It's around 1.5 TB on my computer that I stream to my media center. Physical media is outdated.

Before anyone says blu rays quality is better than the downloads let me say that if a Blu ray is a 10/10 the downloads I get are a 9.8/10

Personally I think you should just download and skip blu rays all together. That's what I did and I have around 375 movies and I would say 360 of them are in HD I also have complete seasons of TV shows. It's around 1.5 TB on my computer that I stream to my media center. Physical media is outdated.

Before anyone says blu rays quality is better than the downloads let me say that if a Blu ray is a 10/10 the downloads I get are a 9.8/10

YIFY is the man!

Back