Blueprint to beating Khabib: Rustam Khabilov's losses

The blueprint to beating Khabib is to have a 92% tdd average like Tibau but better striking.

Maybe somebody like GSP.
someone like a LW version of woodley. lee is not that person. he has weak hands and a weak jaw.

Rustam is an underrated fighter. He is 22-3 and 8-2 in the UFC, his only losses were a close split decision against Martins and a loss to prime Bendo back in 2014 . I think he would have good chances to beat guys like Alvarez, Gaethje, Pettis, Iaquinta etc. The only reason why this guy is not ranked in top 15 is because the company hasn't given him a ranked opponent since 2014. No matter how good you are, you can't get into the top 10 if the company refuses to give you opponents from top 10, simple as that. Makhachev and Taisumov have the same problems, both are tough and skilled lightweights but UFC keeps putting them against fighters outside of top 15 each and every time.

Last edited:
what makes you say this? Rusam was world lightweight Sambo champion, world pankraton champion, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rustam_Khabilov#Championships_and_accomplishments). Same as Khabib.

Same trainer since the beginning: Khabib's dad. If anything I think Rustam has had more impressive takedowns in MMA. Khabib maybe better folk style riding ability. Prime Benson would have been an insanely tough matchup for Khabib, too, he just never fought him.
Rustam just lays and prays he doesn't do any significant damage on the ground, he has a much tougher time getting opponents to the ground than Khabib either.

Guys like Khabib's cousin Abubakar have trained with Abdulmanap and Khabib for their entire lives yet they're nothing special. Khabib is an exceptional case. Most Dagestani mma fighters have trained with Abdulmanap for the majority of their lives.

Last time Khabib got taken down was by Trujillo and that went very poorly for Abel. Khabib's game off his back is better than Rustams and seems a bit more comfortable in scrambles as well.

There are certainly similarities there but they are not mirror images by any means.

Rustam is good, but he seems to be a bit mentally weaker than Khabib. He also doesn't have the strength that Khabib has, he is content to grind from guard whilst doing minimal work from the top. Khabib will pass, trap and strike/submit.

I honestly think any good wrestler could beat Khabib. Dude has pillow fists and zero striking, if you can stop his takedowns he's toast. I could see guys like (I know, weight class above but still) Usman and Covington literally cruising to a decision against him, without breaking a sweat.

That's why I think the toughest match ups for Khabib are Kevin Lee and Gregor Gillespe if he gets to the contender level. Fighters that can defend well vs his game but also force him to work hare and zap his cardio. Also a guy like Gaetjhe or Alverez are tougher match ups as they have solid wrestling/defensive grappling and a very good offensive game with strong cardio.

I honestly think any good wrestler could beat Khabib. Dude has pillow fists and zero striking, if you can stop his takedowns he's toast. I could see guys like (I know, weight class above but still) Usman and Covington literally cruising to a decision against him, without breaking a sweat.

I could see Darren Till (I know, weight class above but still) literally punching a hole through McGregor's face, without breaking a sweat.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but he surely has benefited from a strange lack of wrestlers in his division. Imagine WW a few years back with prime Hendricks, Woodley, GSP, prime Koscheck, even Lombard...he would have been fucked.

I mean it's pretty obvious a high level wrestler (or someone with amazing TDD like Aldo) would be his toughest opponent. It's not like the guys he's fighting now can pull off what you're suggesting though.

how is kabob ever going to make it the fight with conor with all you guys hanging on his nuts?

kabob has never fought anyone who can stop a takedown.

he had trouble with fucking raging al. a realtor. a part time fighter. for the title.

let the man fight some legit competition before firmly attaching yourselves to his balls.

holy fuck sherdog has gone downhill.

Blue print to beat Khabib?

How about we wait until he actually gets beaten in MMA by somebody to assume we are experts on how to beat Khabib. Being 26 teams tried to get their fighter to beat the man and failed.
26 teams lol.

honestly? have you looked at his record?

some of those guys don't have a team.....

like most of them.... raging al could've won all those fights too.

26 teams lol.

honestly? have you looked at his record?

some of those guys don't have a team.....

like most of them.... raging al could've won all those fights too.
Every fighter has a team, I hope you were being sarcastic. Its required in reputable orgs to have a team lol. You cant even fight without having corner men lol. Those corner men are major tools to your success. They are your coaches/architects to your game plan. The fighter is the one who takes the strategy your team helped develop to best your chances of winning. 26 fighters along with those teams failed.

Khabib is way better than him. Khabilov’s losses show nothing that would be considered any sort of evidence or even theory that it would work on Khabib, if that makes sense. Khabib is a different level.

EXACTLY.

Khabilov isn’t a Pressure Fighter on Khabib’s level, he tends to sit at range and sit on single power shots more so then force a relentless clinch game. Khabib’s will and ability to force those opportunities is what makes him the most elite of guys with similar skill sets.

Khabilov is damn good though, lot of same skills as Khabib (and better technical offensive striker), just different style of fighter. Benson fight was back and forth and he easily could’ve beaten Martins, just an off night and tough style matchup (bigger, better athlete, game built to counter-strike single-shot grapplers).

Every fighter has a team, I hope you were being sarcastic. Its required in reputable orgs to have a team lol. You cant even fight without having corner men lol. Those corner men are major tools to your success. They are your coaches/architects to your game plan. The fighter is the one who takes the strategy your team helped develop to best your chances of winning. 26 fighters along with those teams failed.
was he in a reputable org for those first 15 fights?

calling some of those guys cans would be a compliment.

and as far as 'teams' who in there right mind would send in there 0-0 fighter to face

an up and comer like habeeb with a 5-0 10-0 record or whatever.

once he got to ufc I could see using the term teams....

but prior to that idk

Lightweight is ultra competitive but the top guys are all essentially brawlers with limited wrestling/jj skills. Perfect fodder for Khabib.

Kevin Lee some tailor made to beat Khabib.

was he in a reputable org for those first 15 fights?

calling some of those guys cans would be a compliment.

and as far as 'teams' who in there right mind would send in there 0-0 fighter to face

an up and comer like habeeb with a 5-0 10-0 record or whatever.

once he got to ufc I could see using the term teams....

but prior to that idk
Have you seen the competition Fedor fought ? Many of his opponents in the beginning of his rise had more losses than wins, or also 0-0

Yet he considered the GOAT to many people. He may be.

My point here his...considering he beat up cans for many years, still destroyed the top guys as well.

Khabib could very well do the same.

Have GOAT TDD while having elite striking that can be executed without the fear of TD's. I don't see anybody like that except prime GSP.

Back