Blueprint to beating Khabib: Rustam Khabilov's losses

johndhi

If you love a flower, don’t pick it up.
@purple
Reaction score
I remember thinking Khabilov was unbeatable after watching him suplex the shit out of everyone en route to his fight with Benson. Dagestani fighter, crazy sambo background, intense physicality.

Both of Khabilov's losses came against guys who used offensive wrestling agains them (Benson and Martins), caught them with body kicks, and kept an insane pace.

(Rustam on Khabib: "this guy like my brother, seven years I train with him, his dad was my coach first")

(Khabib and Rustam playing video games together back in the day)

Anyway -- doesn't shine a lot of light on Conor's chances, but it does confirm my thinking that I think Kevin Lee -- and maybe Tony -- could beat Khabib.

Tony for sure could beat him. I agree with the Lee idea but at this point in his career I doubt he has the mental toughness / resilience to slug it out through 5 with Khabib. I think he'd break along the way despite doing well at points (kind of like against Tony).

The blueprint to beating Khabib is to have a 92% tdd average like Tibau but better striking.

Maybe somebody like GSP.

Tony for sure could beat him. I agree with the Lee idea but at this point in his career I doubt he has the mental toughness / resilience to slug it out through 5 with Khabib. I think he'd break along the way despite doing well at points (kind of like against Tony).
Tony would get ass whupped for the first 3 rounds. A difficult win, his strategy would be to outcardio Khabib and try to catch him with something late. I think Khabib via UD.

I was thinking Tony could beat Khabib but after the Lando fight Im not sure about that anymore.

Lee has some really good body kicks and very good wrestling , Tony can keep an insane pace for 5 rounds so these 2 are the guys to beat him . Without mentioning GSP

TDD plus striking and cardio,
Fegruson, Aldo is he were at 155, it would take a hell of a TDD game and cardio to keep Khabib constantly off of you, but it can be done, Fegruson is his kryptonite.

TDD plus striking and cardio,
Fegruson, Aldo is he were at 155, it would take a hell of a TDD game and cardio to keep Khabib constantly off of you, but it can be done, Fegruson is his kryptonite.

I think more than just TDD -- it's offensive TD ability. If you watch Iaquinta talk about the fight, too, he wishes he did more offensive wrestling. Talks about how he got deep on a single leg and then just let it go in favor of punching.

Khabib is way better than him. Khabilov’s losses show nothing that would be considered any sort of evidence or even theory that it would work on Khabib, if that makes sense. Khabib is a different level.

I'm sorry, what confirms this thinking? Khabilov's losses confirm your thinking about Khabib because they're training partners from Dagestan? Do I have that right?

However, all of Artem's losses confirm my thinking on the blueprint to beat Conor.

Sounds like it wont be Conor then. Maybe El Cucuy.

I think more than just TDD -- it's offensive TD ability. If you watch Iaquinta talk about the fight, too, he wishes he did more offensive wrestling. Talks about how he got deep on a single leg and then just let it go in favor of punching.

RDA who has a great ground game that was able to recently take down colby tried to wrestle offensively and khabib kept tossing him around.

I remember thinking Khabilov was unbeatable after watching him suplex the shit out of everyone en route to his fight with Benson. Dagestani fighter, crazy sambo background, intense physicality.

Both of Khabilov's losses came against guys who used offensive wrestling agains them (Benson and Martins), caught them with body kicks, and kept an insane pace.

(Rustam on Khabib: "this guy like my brother, seven years I train with him, his dad was my coach first")

Anyway -- doesn't shine a lot of light on Conor's chances, but it does confirm my thinking that I think Kevin Lee -- and maybe Tony -- could beat Khabib.

NO two different fighters.

Masvidal also beat Rustam imo,but very different styles grappling wise between Rustam and Khabib despite the similarities to people who never trained or understand grappling.Meaningless thread is meaningless.Won't waste time explaining obvious shit,the fights are starting.

Masvidal also beat Rustam imo,but very different styles grappling wise between Rustam and Khabib despite the similarities to people who never trained or understand grappling.Meaningless thread is meaningless.Won't waste time explaining obvious shit,the fights are starting.

I'm interested, could you po please explain the difference in their grappling styles ? Seems the same to my untrained eye.

khabib is a pretty good defensive grappler/wrestler.. just watch his grappling/wrestling matches how he is able to wrestle in a defensive way.

I like Khabilov, but Khabib is a hundred times better wrestling/grappling wise.

I like Khabilov, but Khabib is a hundred times better wrestling/grappling wise.

what makes you say this? Rusam was world lightweight Sambo champion, world pankraton champion, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rustam_Khabilov#Championships_and_accomplishments). Same as Khabib.

Same trainer since the beginning: Khabib's dad. If anything I think Rustam has had more impressive takedowns in MMA. Khabib maybe better folk style riding ability. Prime Benson would have been an insanely tough matchup for Khabib, too, he just never fought him.

Blue print to beat Khabib?

How about we wait until he actually gets beaten in MMA by somebody to assume we are experts on how to beat Khabib. Being 26 teams tried to get their fighter to beat the man and failed.

Last edited:
Back