Blue Belt promotion, What is expected.

Take heart man. When you fight guys your own size they will seem like small children compared to the dudes you roll with! Go to comps and win or fight real well, you are sure to get your coaches attention that way and some promos too (maybe) :)

I am a 8+ month white belt. In my school, everyone is bigger than me. They all have about 55 to 90 pounds on me. Not to mention with that weight comes strenght. Am I as a white belt expected to be able to beat these guys on a regular basis in order to get promoted? Before when we did have people my size. I would win a big majority of my sparring matches. Now that all the smaller students(like me) have quit. I am the smallest. I fall in the Light Weight division and all the other students fall in the Heavy Weitght division. Am I really expected to beat these Heavy Weights before I can advance? Our school does not give strips/rank within a belt. So, the only real way to show advancement is to get promoted to the next belt level.
Tonight, I almost passed out from one of the guys using his weight to pin me to the mat. when he weights 220 lbs and does the 100kg posture to keep advantage. I just couldn't breath with him on top of me.
I love Brazilian jiu-jitsu. But, I don't know how much more of this I can take. Nothing but loses in the past two months. How can I win? I practice harder that they do, I work out more, Starting running futher, eating right, and studying techniques on days off. I'll be a three or four year white belt at this rate. When we had students my size. The instructor sounded optimistic about promoting me next fall. Now, I don't think it even crosses his mind.

As many others have said...stop worrying about the belt, if that is all that you are fixated on you will never get the damn thing. Worry about technique...and the belt will come naturally! Also once you get better and start tapping other high white belts and blue belts it will look all the better!

And if you want to know what your instructor thinks about you situation

Ask him!:icon_chee

I dont really get the "I want to know where I stand " thing.

Good, because that is not what I asked. I asked, "Am I expected to beat white belts in the Heavy weight class when I am in the Light weight class to earn my blue belt.
Many people agree that when your able to beat most if not all the white belts is when your ready to earn your blue belt.
When sparring other white belts that where my size and weight class, I would win around 9 out of 10 matches. However, they have all quit.
Now, only heavy weight members remain in the school I go to.

Personally, I make all of my guys train with each other no matter the weight or skill set. My son is 16, just barely 140 lbs, and he rolls with 300+ guys every night. It has made his guard game and shrimping sick. He took his lumps the first two yrs, but he loves working with the bigger guys, b/c at tourneys he is very explosive and he has been fighting in the adult blue division since the beginning of this year.

It is all what you make of it, but of course you have to have good training partners who aren't dicks too.

I know once someone at my school picks up a blue belt the higher belts go WAY harder on them.

Back