Blue Belt promotion, What is expected.

It's not all imaginary, there are some other people that live here.

where? because I'd be really surprised to see a 2.5 year white belt, other then those that train a day a week, never spar, are inconsistent, just absolutely thickheaded, or completely physically incapable

Me personally, I'd rather *not* be promoted. I've overheard an instructor mention to someone else that I'm coming up close on my blue, and to be perfectly honest, I'm terrified of it. I think the blues in my gym are still a solid step ahead of me, and I'm not exactly running over the other whites, either. Part of that is that I'm also small (I'm probably smaller than you, in fact), but I also just don't think I'm plain good enough yet.

If you think you're being squashed by the big strong guys now, the last thing you should want is your blue. I fully expect that the second I get my blue all the stronger and better-skilled whites will have their sights set on me and I will have to really raise my game to prove that I deserve it. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to that and I'm happy to remain a white until I really feel I'm ready.

You want recognition, go compete in a tournament. If everyone really is 50 lbs bigger than you, you should feel pretty comfortable against guys in your weight class.

I train at Legion under Cameron Diffley, who trained, and I trained under Sergio Penha. I have to be close to my blue. I tap blues, and have tapped purple a few times. In the gym. The only thing I can think of is I didnt compete as much as I am now. I'm doing 2 tourney's this month, one next month, etc. I train mostly no gi, but I train gi too

It's not all about being a Blue Belt. If our instructor gave strips I would be happy. Then at least I would know where I stand in relation to progress to a blue belt. 8+ months would be at least be two strips. BTW, how many strips are there before promotion?

It will always be hard to submit guys that are larger than you. I'm in a similar situation as you as far as size goes, and I can tell you that as you continue to train, you will be able to submit larger opponents. Eating right, running, sure that's fine, but what will really help you submit these guys (btw outright competition with your training partners should not be your focus), is coming in as often as possible and training.

That said, you will get your blue belt when your instructor thinks you are ready. There is no set criteria, and I would advise not thinking about it. Focus on learning and improving your technique, and if you stick with it, the blue belt will come when it comes. Typically if your instructor gives stripes, there are 4 stripes before a promotion. But don't focus on that stuff, just stick with it and train hard, ask your instructor questions if you have trouble with something specific, and that is the answer to all your questions.

Guy you have only been training for 8 months.
You get your bluebelt when you win a couple of competitions and when you are the best whitebelt in your club (unless your school is a mcdojo)

It's not all about being a Blue Belt. If our instructor gave strips I would be happy. Then at least I would know where I stand in relation to progress to a blue belt. 8+ months would be at least be two strips. BTW, how many strips are there before promotion?

How can you say 8 months of training would be 2 stripes and then ask how many stripes you get to be promoted?

In my school, if you have 2 stripes at 8 months, you're moving pretty damn fast.

I'm not sold on the idea that the TS has the right attitude to excel.

Use these HEAVY training partners as a positive. You have more motivation to build better technique and not allow them to gain a dominant position, or to learn the best ways to escape from a difficult position.

I find working with heavier training partners really helps my training/learning and when I move down to people my size or smaller things take lil effort. I'm six foot and weight 170-175.

It isn't about winning and losing. It is about learning. And if everyone isn't learning and progressing the whole club suffers and is stagnate. Man up and train. Cheers.

I think if your instructor is letting people that much heavier than you maul you like that all the time he is doing both you and them a disservice.

One you are at serious risk for injury. I weigh 190 and was paired with a guy that weighed 350 lbs. and was a white belt what I didn't know was he was a judo brown belt, it was my option to take the roll but who is going to say no in the middle of class. I ended up screwing up my neck so that I missed about a month of training.

Two, these guys are going to get in the habit of trying to out muscle and use their weight against people like you and they will come up short on the technical aspect.

You might want to talk to your instructor and see about working certain aspects of your game with the bigger guys so that you both get some benefit from the experience, and suggest the same be done with other new people that are smaller. That way you and they will gradually be able to adjust to the game and the other people won't be as likely to leave.

I train at Legion under Cameron Diffley, who trained, and I trained under Sergio Penha. I have to be close to my blue. I tap blues, and have tapped purple a few times. In the gym. The only thing I can think of is I didnt compete as much as I am now. I'm doing 2 tourney's this month, one next month, etc. I train mostly no gi, but I train gi too

is that Forrest's assistant coach on TUF, and the guy Marc Laimon's student lost to when he wasn't given the video-taped pass to side control?

is that Forrest's assistant coach on TUF, and the guy Marc Laimon's student lost to when he wasn't given the video-taped pass to side control?

Yes thats him...

Anyway TS, I have been training BJJ since Decemeber and I have 4 stripes and I'm thinking I will get my belt at some point this summer but I dont want it until I am as good as blue belts NOT the best white belt!

Being the best white belt is like having your dog lick peanut butter off your balls....slightly amsuing BUT nothing to brag about!!

Work on your shrimps, escapes, guard movement and flexibility...rear mount might work well for you

Don't expect the belt for another year....takes at least 2 years of CONSISTENT training (so if ur on and off..think four years), if you're thinking about that belt, expect to quit REALLY soon....

I'm 155 lbs and 5'7, I'm the smallest guy in the gym when I'm there (there's supposedly this 140 lb guy that's really good but never shows up on the same time) and I'm always up against people who outweigh me ANYWHERE from 15 to 100 pounds. Do I mind? No, they're a litmus test to see if my TECHNIQUE is good or not. Of course size will always come into play but it matters the most AFTER they have you flat on your back or AFTER they pass your guard, so focus on drilling your grappling on the areas to PREVENT any of the above.

Guaranteed if I watched you roll I could point out you trying to muscle too much shit with these heavier guys. The biggest thing to learn is to just relax and be aware of your surroundings so to speak. You should be a quick, squirmy bastard at that weight. Yes you have to ride the storm but you should also be able to push the pace. Make them move, the more they move the more tired out they become. Unless the guy is equal or exceeds your current skill level there is no reason you shouldnt get the best of them in training. Sounds like you need more training before being considered for a blue belt. One of my training partners for MMA is going to be testing for his purple belt next week and he is 155lbs. Guess what? He completely dominates former college wrestlers, etc. around 240-260lbs. So get your ass on the mat and tap often if you have to... its how you get better.

You should enter a competition and compete with people your size. If your constantly rolling around with guys that weight 220lbs you could probably destroy a lot of the people in your weight class.

Guaranteed if I watched you roll I could point out you trying to muscle too much shit with these heavier guys. The biggest thing to learn is to just relax and be aware of your surroundings so to speak. You should be a quick, squirmy bastard at that weight. Yes you have to ride the storm but you should also be able to push the pace. Make them move, the more they move the more tired out they become. Unless the guy is equal or exceeds your current skill level there is no reason you shouldnt get the best of them in training. Sounds like you need more training before being considered for a blue belt. One of my training partners for MMA is going to be testing for his purple belt next week and he is 155lbs. Guess what? He completely dominates former college wrestlers, etc. around 240-260lbs. So get your ass on the mat and tap often if you have to... its how you get better.

I got a feeling you are right, he's probably trying to go muscle for muscle.

Back