Bloodyelbow Analysis: Benson Henderson and the Art of Bull****

"Ben is judged not by his own effectiveness, but by his opponent's ineffectiveness".

If his opponents are ineffective then they deserve to lose.

Then why does 1-of-12 takedowns count as "winning the takedown game"???? Answer: Nobody knows. MMA has serious judgement problems.

If a football defense simply does not allow the opposing team to score, they are not awarded points. A pitcher striking out the side does not score a run.

Great article. However, I think the author erred in his term 'the art of bullshit'. There is nothing that is 'bullshit' about the way Henderson fights. If a fighter looks dominate in a fight that's because he is the dominate fighter in that fight. That's simply the reality of the situation and there's nothing bullshit about it. You could argue Henderson could've done more or maybe taken some more chances to score a finish but the reality is if Thompson looked hapless against Henderson at times it was because of Henderson's strength and techniques, that isn't bullshit.

I refuse to believe that people who judge fights (keyword there is people... judges are people, not mindless drones) think the way the author and others say they do. As if they sit there going, "wow, look at how smooth Benson is! He doesn't give a shit! 10-9 Henderson!" Same thing with people thinking that judges supposedly sit and there and think, "wow, Greg Jackson sure is SO animated! That MUST mean his guy is winning! 10-9 for Jackson's guy!" And how about, "wow, he put his arms up at the end of the round! 10-9 for him!!"

Again, I refuse to believe that this is what goes through an actual judge's mind.

Great article. However, I think the author erred in his term 'the art of bullshit'. There is nothing that is 'bullshit' about the way Henderson fights. If a fighter looks dominate in a fight that's because he is the dominate fighter in that fight. That's simply the reality of the situation and there's nothing bullshit about it. You could argue Henderson could've done more or maybe taken some more chances to score a finish but the reality is if Thompson looked hapless against Henderson at times it was because of Henderson's strength and techniques, that isn't bullshit.

Lol right. Like opponents should get points for trying and failing badly at TDs, or something.

In that GIF, it looks like Ben has a finger in the cage

Henderson is strong and controlled. He possesses slow twitch reflexes so he doesn't adrenaline dump and gas and seems to continue at a decent pace. He shines in the later rounds. Honestly, the Thompson fight, Thompson had his mouth open most rounds, looking gassed. He got great takedowns and held Hendo down but nothing else. Hendo won it.

Oh so now you can win based on not looking gassed...
ari-gold-gtfo-o.gif

thompson did shit with back control. "he is trying to pry his arm"

how about trying to punch him

the judges award NOTHING for TDD. ZERO.

this writer has no idea what he is talking about

i saw the fight and was pulling for no one, and i thought ben won it easily. i gave thomson the 1st round but that is really the only one and he still did no damage.

What a stupid article, fighters using body language to deceive opponent and look better in the judges eyes, no shit sherlock.

shocked and more than a little upset when Henderson was awarded the split decision over Josh Thomson

Confirmed idiot.

He pretty much said Benson deserved to win and that Thompson did just as much BS. And I agree the 49-46 score for Bendo was too wide but I had Bendo winning

not getting taken down is now "the art of bullshit"

how did this guy get a job

EDIT: just read a few pages of comments. weird. sherdoggers are weird.

Read the article, in my opinion the author didn't do enough to make his case and essentially contradicted his own point about Benson.

How do you BS your way into a legitimate win where you were the "more active fighter"?

Is it an expose on tactics used to garner judge votes? Is it an expose on Benson's bullshit in particular? Is it about boxing? I'll read the article again when I can, perhaps I missed something.

In that GIF, it looks like Ben has a finger in the cage

He does grab the cage, but he does it the smart way, clearly gripping with his fingers for only a second before letting go and just holding his hand against the fence so it's very difficult for the ref to notice.

The problem with this fight is that some of the lesser bright fans put a lot of extra emphasis on the striking even when it was completely ineffectual. There wasn't a single significant strike thrown by either fighter in any of the five rounds, the only significant moments came in the grappling exchanges, of which Thomson won four rounds by a wide margin by getting Bendo down easier, holding him down longer, and getting more dominant positions.

that's not true. why do coaches tell their fighters to look spry walking back to the corner? or lift their hands after a fight?

because they know that they can game the judges.

this author came up with a pretty interesting hypothesis.

Ben is judged not by his own effectiveness, but by his opponent's ineffectiveness. This is the Art of Bullshit

Henderson doesn't react at all to Thomson's attacks. He is not only stoic, but disinterested in the little man attacking him

i see a lot of people shitting on the author and the hypothesis (not you), but i challenge them to come up with a better one. something - anything - other than "duuhhhrrr judges suck"

he's not excusing Benson eking out rounds and fights that many fans and pundits think are close; it's trying to give one explanation about why maybe it occurs. 4 of his last 6 bouts were controversial. anyone who shit on this article care to give another explanation as to why he keeps winning these close rounds/fights?

for the record, i don't even really care if this hypothesis is "right" or not. it's certainly an interesting angle, and good food for thought.

I think if you can't knock out your opponent, or tap him after 10 minutes, you should try to get finished.

Is Henderson coming out of his prime? He seems a step slower and his striking seems to have regressed. He also appears to be so arrogant that wont acknowledge his flaws or the controversy surrounding his fights.

Back