Bloodyelbow Analysis: Benson Henderson and the Art of Bull****

Henderson is strong and controlled. He possesses slow twitch reflexes so he doesn't adrenaline dump and gas and seems to continue at a decent pace. He shines in the later rounds. Honestly, the Thompson fight, Thompson had his mouth open most rounds, looking gassed. He got great takedowns and held Hendo down but nothing else. Hendo won it.

So Henderson won based on... looking less tired?

Horrid argument.

that's what i was saying..thompson showboating is not effective just like silva dancing. Funny how Silva also thought he was winning the fight up until the point he got knocked out or his leg snapped.

Kid, stop, just stop.

there sure is a lot of bullshit floating around every time he wins a close fight.

In a close fight the more popular guy and/or the underdog always wins by popular consensus, because fans just can't help but be biased and/or manipulated by their own expectations.

I think the hate for Bendo is unwarranted. I think it has become cool to shit on fighters and once a few start it becomes an epidemic. He has fought the best line up at LW that we have seen in ages and people complain because fights are close. IMO its because all these fighters are that good and any could win on a given night.

I have watched this fight 3 times, once with the sound off. It was a real even fight with neither guy doing any damage, but I felt that Henderson pushed the action more and that Thomson's offensive output went down big after the 1st rd. I gave it 4-1 in favor of Bendo, but I wouldn't argue to much if someone had it 4-1 in Josh's favor.

I was expecting to roll my eyes but that was actually a good article.

The judging in MMA sucks

The end.

Wait... he's saying *most* fans thought Bradley won?

I mean... Marquez did get reckless there at the end, but the argument could still be made that he won that fight... and Bradley was anything but "dominant".

The days of "finishes" seem to be behind us.

...as my own interest fades...

When there is a close fight with no finish, people always point fingers at the winner. Both fighters are responsible for the result.

To say Benson has mastered the Art of Bullshit is ridiculous. Benson has just been in a series of close fights. Close fight results are decided by humans and will therefore be very subjective and probably non conclusive to most.

For the Benson-Thomson fight, there is no uproar like, let's say, the Phan-Garcia fight. It was just a close fight which the judges thought was won by Benson.

Thing is, Benson wouldn't be in these close fights if his opponents could do more.

It's hypocritical how one fighter gets all the blame in a close fight.

after watching the fight 2x, i still believe the judges got it right. Bendo was more effctive in nearly every facet of the fight.

That would be the case, if Ben weren't completely ineffective himself.

But he was more effective than Thomson overall, just not in the grappling department. Thomson really didn't do a damn thing in that fight but take his back after takedowns. He lost every other segment of that fight. Benson deserved that victory.

Also, the article is complaining about Benson's opponents ineffectiveness, lol. Maybe Benson is the reason?

Bloody Elbow articles are shit.

Last edited:
When there is a close fight with no finish, people always point fingers at the winner. Both fighters are responsible for the result.

To say Benson has mastered the Art of Bullshit is ridiculous. Benson has just been in a series of close fights. Close fight results are decided by humans and will therefore be very subjective and probably non conclusive to most.

For the Benson-Thomson fight, there is no uproar like, let's say, the Phan-Garcia fight. It was just a close fight which the judges thought was won by Benson.

Pretty much. If his opponents did more, they would have won. They didn't. They did less than Benson. They in turn lost.

Funny, because I thought there were tons of moments where Josh was being inactive and was being backed into the cage. Obviously, he had a broken thumb which explains it.

Looking better than your opponent matters when no one lands significantly damaging strikes.

One of the things about Bendo is that he is very good at being in bad positions. He was very comfortable with Thompson on his back. How many times have we seen him escape a close guillotine? He doesn't mind being in bad grappling positions against the fence because his tree trunk legs prevent him from being taken down. People see the bad position and view that as dominance for his opponent, which I totally understand. But guys rarely can do something with it.

Back