#BLM (Black Lives Matter) Formalizes its Political Demands

the list is cray, but i'm actually for some kind of reparations. i do believe a formal apology from the US gov to AA is long overdue.

Sound an awful lot like you're trying to blame-shift. You can try to explain how the movement arose, but with regards to the movement and it's actions, only the movement itself can be blamed.

They're a racist group and they should be rightfully condemned.

Sounds an awful lot like you're incapable of actually reading what I wrote and responding to it. Who's blame shifting? Shit, what are people even shifting blame about? That doesn't make any sense as a response to my post.

People keep saying the movement is dumb or poorly thought out or whatever but it's outlasted OWS. It's still relevant over 1 year later.

At some point, people need to stop and wonder why a movement that they say has no relevance has continued to thrive when another movement that they said had no relevance faded away far quicker. That's not blame shifting, that's critical analysis.

People talk about how dangerous young earth creationists are, but to me, this is at least on par but in reality even more dangerous. They're demanding special treatment for an entire race, including stuff that's simply illogical and harmful.
This is so much more dangerous than Creationism you should be flogged for even juxtaposing them in the same sentence. This is less dangerous than freaking Anarcho-Syndaclism.

The overwhelming majority of those people who "support" the BLM movement have never read these demands and are clueless to this list. They "support" the movement because it sounds good and would not want to be classified as a racist if they did not. However, I would like to talk privately to those "supporters" after they read this list. Something tells me they would be a bit less receptive.

Sounds an awful lot like you're incapable of actually reading what I wrote and responding to it. Who's blame shifting? People keep saying the movement is dumb or poorly thought out or whatever but it's outlasted OWS. It's still relevant over 1 year later.
The only indication I draw from that is that their base is dumber and more enabled (as by the media) than OWS. Even those dumbass hippies caught the hint.

Also, saying that OWS "failed" demonstrates a clouded, superficial perspective. What do you think Bernie was all about? Citizens United (in the wake of the central banking driven economic collapse and ensuing Great Recession) was the prime driver of the OWS movement.

OWS didn't die; it has been a Phoenix that simply reincarnated itself into a much more meaningful and effective form.

The overwhelming majority of those people who "support" the BLM movement have never read these demands and are clueless to this list. They "support" the movement because it sounds good and would not want to be classified as a racist if they did not. However, I would like to talk privately to those "supporters" after they read this list. Something tells me they would be a bit less receptive.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people support blm for their outcry against the public displays of overly and needlessly abusive treatment of black people by some cops. This list of demands is way beyond what any thinking person would support, and will rightfully turn a lot of people away from this "cause".

Are you sure about that.

So just let violent crime offenders like rapist, assault with deadly weapon offenders (which can easily be made attempt homicide suspects) and robbery crimes not have to pay bail so they can just bounce and not show up to their court date, or be held in jail until trial?

Anarchy much brother?

I agree with not crushing people with user fees as they navigate the court system. I've seen too many horror stories of people who's lives spiraled out of control because of an unnecessary fee.

I agree with not crushing people with user fees as they navigate the court system. I've seen too many horror stories of people who's lives spiraled out of control because of an unnecessary fee.

I agree with that one too, and rounding up every one of these agitators and putting them in work camps. It's good to find like minded people.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

I agree with much of it. The reparations are definitely long overdue. On the rest, I would like to see a group (preferably BLM themselves) organize and be able to watch over these government programs and make sure the interests of minorities are looked after. It does not seem like too much to ask

How do you even assess such a thing as reparations?

In most cases, it is impossible to prove which blacks actually descend from slaves, and which don't. What about mixed people? Do they count? What about someone is 1/32 black and you'd never know by looking at them. Do they get reparations also?

Who pays the reparations? It doesn't seem fair to tax blacks to pay for their own reparations, so maybe they are exempt from the tax. But then do you tax everyone else, or only just whites? What about whites that never had any slave owners in their history?

Then it only seems to give reparations to other groups that were slighted throughout history. Or what about individuals? One of my ancestors has a memorial stone in some backwoods town in Kentucky because he and his wife were murdered by pillaging Indians. Do I now have legal ground to demand Indians kick a few bucks my way because of that?

well, there's that...while i do vaguely remember this happening now that you posted this, i completely forgot. which is part of the problem with just a written apology. nothing says sorry about all that oppression like cash, and a settlement would "show" that the country has a vested interest in AA community. it will never happen so i'll just shut up now.

They want reparations for the "war on drugs" and "prostitution" too?

Lol. No only do they want all the drug dealers and prostitutes free, they want state sponsorship of them also. Note: I support decriminalization of drugs, but lets not pretend that it isn't going to hurt black people. The illegal drug trade is a good source of income into black communities. When everyone can get their weed and crack for half price at the local CVS, the money is going to dry up. Legalization of drugs is just going to funnel that drug money from blacks into the hands of Big Pharma.

The only indication I draw from that is that their base is dumber and more enabled (as by the media) than OWS. Even those dumbass hippies caught the hint.

Also, saying that OWS "failed" demonstrates a clouded, superficial perspective. What do you think Bernie was all about? Citizens United (in the wake of the central banking driven economic collapse and ensuing Great Recession) was the prime driver of the OWS movement.

OWS didn't die; it has been a Phoenix that simply reincarnated itself into a much more meaningful and effective form.

Your first paragraph demonstrates my point more effectively than I could have done.

Your second paragraph isn't something I said, I never said the movement failed, I said it faded out. Your argument that it was reborn in some more effective fashion is exactly what I said is the difference between how OWS was challenged and how BLM was challenged. OWS wasn't reborn, it was coopted by a larger organization and now all of those OWS'ers have no movement but they're convinced they're accomplishing something. Bernie? How's that nomination working out for them?

Hence the Trump comparison. The RNC never coopted Trump's movement...and he won his nomination. BEcause they couldn't fold his agenda into their larger umbrella and then disperse the effectiveness that comes from a united position.

The Tea Party was coopted into the RNC and their entire no tax plan has largely been subsumed by the RNC's larger anti-Democrat position. The Tea Party actually had a plan and a position, now they don't even really exist.

The people that dislike BLM but challenge it by arguing that the movement's issues aren't even real are the actual dummies. They don't understand how they breathe life into movements in this fashion. I posted earlier what my original opinion on BLM is, I thought it would be gone by now. But then I see how the idiots challenge it and I can see why it survived. Look no further than your first paragraph for why this movement has more life than it should.

How do you even assess such a thing as reparations?

In most cases, it is impossible to prove which blacks actually descend from slaves, and which don't. What about mixed people? Do they count? What about someone is 1/32 black and you'd never know by looking at them. Do they get reparations also?

Who pays the reparations? It doesn't seem fair to tax blacks to pay for their own reparations, so maybe they are exempt from the tax. But then do you tax everyone else, or only just whites? What about whites that never had any slave owners in their history?

Then it only seems to give reparations to other groups that were slighted throughout history. Or what about individuals? One of my ancestors has a memorial stone in some backwoods town in Kentucky because he and his wife were murdered by pillaging Indians. Do I now have legal ground to demand Indians kick a few bucks my way because of that?
Most of that is ridiculous. We are only talking about African Americans here not other groups. I would think an option for a tax break of a certain established amount would be easiest. They could also have the option for a lump sum or government owned land. Raising the money could come from a tax hike on the rich or some other manner in which African Americans are not affected. For those who are in the top tier, they get a waiver from paying

THis was my opinion on BLM 1 year ago via PM's with someone.

Now that they've put out an agenda and I'm much better informed, I can't say much of my opinion has changed. The umbrella concept is still defensible and the examples that didn't include criminals certainly bolster their position. But unless they channel that concept into something sharper and scalpel like, I don't see it going much further.

Frankly, the haters have given it more life than I had anticipated. But I'm better at understanding this now.

When people opposed OWS, they targeted the underlying concepts as unrealistic but they didn't dismiss the actual inequality. With BLM, people dismissed the underlying concept itself. Fomenting a debate on whether or not the issue even existed. Which, by it's very nature, doubled the debates being had: 1) Is there an issue?: and 2) Does the issue matter in the way they think it does? OWS only had the 1 debate: Did the issue matter in the way they thought it did.

OWS fizzled out, BLM hasn't. Blame those who mindlessly challenged the existence of their issues for that.

I have to disagree with this (respectively) Pan.

I don’t think anyone, from any nationality; political background dismissed the “underlying message of “black lives mattering.” Of course they matter. I think we all acknowledge that.

And #BLM has deserved a great deal of ire it has received.

Their disruptive methods, (blocking traffic, disrupting Christmas tree lightings at public parks) some of the racist comments by their leaders, what they did to Bernie Sanders, and making martyrs out of pieces of shit like Mike Brown and Mario Woods.

And looking at these list of demands…I just gotta say, “what in the fuck? “ the world doesn’t owe you shit. Reparations? Economic reparations, education reparations, criminal justice reparations?

Entirely unrealistic and ridiculous.

Perhaps there should be some reflection if these lyrics still apply 25 years later. Nothing changed.
Minority groups don't generally climb the economic ladder much in twenty five years.
Nor do any other demographic that I can think of tbh.

Most of that is ridiculous. We are only talking about African Americans here not other groups.

What makes them special?

Not all blacks were slaves. Some were even slavers.

I would think an option for a tax break of a certain established amount would be easiest. They could also have the option for a lump sum or government owned land. Raising the money could come from a tax hike on the rich or some other manner in which African Americans are not affected.

How does the IRS determine whos eligible for the break and who isn't? Many white people have a few drops of African blood in them, and most blacks are have some European blood in them.

And do you hike taxes on rich black people as well, or will the be exempt?

free education AND forgival of student loans?

ahhh, so that's why that demographic attends college at a higher rate yet graduates at a lower rate....

what about the Social Welfare assistance afforded single mothers now that attend school in lieu of work requirements (and what do you know, hardly graduate)? if school is free, they can't mooch off the system anymore?

Back