Black belt certification

DonkeyKong

Frazier > Ali
@purple
Reaction score
Did you know that in order to get a certification for your black belt by CBJJ you need to take a course in first aid?
I was impressed.

DonkeyKong said:
Did you know that in order to get a certification for your black belt by CBJJ you need to take a course in first aid?
I was impressed.

Interesting note. Judo used to have a series of techniques for ressusitating students that were choked out or knocked out by throws, and some minor limb care stuff that was necesarry. Not sure if it still is.

You occasionally see the guys in Pride use some of the techniques when something happens. Takada's retirement fight, for instance, when he gets kicked in the balls. They sit him up, then lift and drop him a few times. Bas talks about how much he hates it, since it just hurts more if you've been kicked good.

To be an instructor or involved in any kind of sports coaching you need to have at least passed a basic first aid course, whether you want to be a black belt or personal trainer.

A typical basic first aid course is only a few hours long.
I'd think that anybody who has trained long and hard enough to get a black belt likely has already experienced enough BJJ-related injuries himself to be able to know how to handle it in a student should that ever occur.

btw, would you guys say a Blackbelt in Judo = blue belt in BJJ grappling wise???

VampireMonk said:
btw, would you guys say a Blackbelt in Judo = blue belt in BJJ grappling wise???

I think that depends a lot on where the Judo black belt is from, what type of stuff that particular judo school trains, etc. For the most part, though, I'd say a judo black belt is probably higher than your average BJJ blue belt. I don't know too many blues who would tap Hidehiko Yoshida or Kosei Inoue or whoever else.

VampireMonk said:

That depends if they do sport Judo or the "old" Judo. The old way, has just as much joint locks, chokes, etc... has JJ, Japanese or Brazilian. They also don't rely on the gi the way sport judo does and they do some ground work including guard postions, knee on belly, etc.. C'mon guys, Helios Gracie didn't invent all this stuff; he just took one aspect of it and specialized in it. The old stuff is much more painful (i.e. doesn't make as much money) as the sport stuff. They generally don't do tournaments either.

Red Cross' Basic first aid is a very useful class which takes about 4 hours (really less than that usually) to complete. The best thing to do is take Community First Aid and Safety which includes the basic first aid plus adult, child and infant CPR. Total 8 hour course, often offered as a one day thing. They're not too difficult and are good things to know for training plus friends and family that may count on you.

Anyway, that's my little speal... I'm an instructor for Red Cross courses.

ipponzei what said:
I think that depends a lot on where the Judo black belt is from, what type of stuff that particular judo school trains, etc. For the most part, though, I'd say a judo black belt is probably higher than your average BJJ blue belt. I don't know too many blues who would tap Hidehiko Yoshida or Kosei Inoue or whoever else.
Your talking about top level athletes... not the average joe black belt in judo... Your talking about two of the best.

I think many Judo blackbelts like to thing they are like purple belt or higher in BJJ ground work,
but I think the reality is that they are like blue belt level.

given the same size, same age.

If it takes 4 yrs. to get a black belt in Judo and half the time is spent on standing,
then it makes sense, because half of 4 years is 2, and your average blue belt takes 2 years.

VampireMonk said:
I think many Judo blackbelts like to thing they are like purple belt or higher in BJJ ground work,
but I think the reality is that they are like blue belt level.

given the same size, same age.

If it takes 4 yrs. to get a black belt in Judo and half the time is spent on standing,
then it makes sense, because half of 4 years is 2, and your average blue belt takes 2 years.

The Judo schools use to take around 7-8years for blackbelt. But most of the Judo guys I use to train with were the "old school" types. I guess it's getting watered down like everything else.

I dunno. Some schools still use the line up method to test out brown belts to see if they are ready for promotion. I think that is the best method to use.

Back