Black Belch

Congratulations!
I train regularly but 8 years is not even a possibility for me.
After 4.5 I got recently got Purple, expect 3 years to Brown, then 3 years to Black.

Some people got it (you), some people don't (me)
Don't worry about the time. I got to blue in 16 months, was only a blue 20 months (won a tournament/promoted early on the podium. Then sat at Purple 3 or so and brown 2+. I was rushed a little thru my lower ranks in my opinion, but you get there when you get there.

The journey is the best part. About 10-12 months ago I stopped worrying about belts, what I would do if/when etc. Now it's how can I focus on this one particular thing in BJJ I'm working on as I round out what I want to do. Take ownership of your own training and have someone who guides you to help focus on the areas you need at that particular point.

Don't worry about the time. I got to blue in 16 months, was only a blue 20 months (won a tournament/promoted early on the podium. Then sat at Purple 3 or so and brown 2+. I was rushed a little thru my lower ranks in my opinion, but you get there when you get there.

The journey is the best part. About 10-12 months ago I stopped worrying about belts, what I would do if/when etc. Now it's how can I focus on this one particular thing in BJJ I'm working on as I round out what I want to do. Take ownership of your own training and have someone who guides you to help focus on the areas you need at that particular point.

That's what a Black Belt would say. :) Oss!

Awesome man, what was the surprise?
I missed the recent wave of promotions because of an injury and my main instructor pulled the same type of deal yours did but during a regular class. I put surprise in quotes because I sorta "smelled" it coming lol.

I had been a purple belt since 2011 (2.5 year injury layoff and don't train gi as much as I should) so it's pretty damn gratifying.

Congrats though, your journey has just begun. Hope to make it there one day myself.

Congrats man. Time flies because it seems like just yesterday you got your brown. Your team is legit and you have gotten out there with some of the best guys in the World. Props on the BB.

Congrats! What is next for you? How will you make your mark?

Congrats man. Time flies because it seems like just yesterday you got your brown. Your team is legit and you have gotten out there with some of the best guys in the World. Props on the BB.
Thanks sir, we have some great guys.

Congrats! What is next for you? How will you make your mark?
Pretty much just going to keep training. I've been training at 2 other gyms closer to home lately and they give me completely new looks and challenges. I want to continue to teach/take guys under my wing because that's what gives me the most enjoyment as they genuiely get excited to come tell me about how something I showed them helped them win.

Looks like @Aesopian article became obsolete. http://aesopian.com/blog/2013/03/08/how-long-it-takes-to-get-a-black-belt/

We got two blacks with 8 years of training, and one brown with 7 years on just one page. Quite impressive. Training has became much more efficient these days.

@NateTx4112 Can you estimate your number of mat hours?
This is just ROUGH estimate. I average probably 4.5 training sessions a week, estimate 75 minutes of mat time, * 52 weeks/year * 7.5 Years = 2200 hours give or take? There were some times where I trained ALOT more, and 3 times of 3 weeks out for injury.

congrats- enjoyed your journey and honest assessment of your abilities / trials over the years.

Pumped for all the sherdog BB's.

Back