Black Belch

NateTx4112

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Saturday was our big year end promotions and I had to miss due to a friend getting married and it was 100% it was the right decision. Got to see a good friend who was in my wedding tie the know with his now wife (also trains) and it was great to be there. Sucked I missed 8 buddies/training partners get promoted but oh well.

Roll into open mat today with another buddy (4 stripe brown) who was at the wedding with us and we are congratulating people who got their belts/rolling as normal. I'm 4-5 rounds in and helping a white/blue belt with arm triangles and hear "hey everyone circle up for a minute"....Me - Hmm this is odd, he never does this at open mat and then I see it 2 black belts in his hand

He had told everyone "I understand some people will miss this for the wedding but they will be up for March" so it was a surprise for me which was nice. I've been training 7 1/2 years with Danny Alvarez (3rd degree as of yesterday) black belt. I have some great training partners there, and in my other gyms I train at (regularly train at 3 academy's since I moved).

If anyone has any questions I guess, ask and I'll do my best to answer. Still kind of not sure how I feel about all this.

Saturday was our big year end promotions and I had to miss due to a friend getting married and it was 100% it was the right decision. Got to see a good friend who was in my wedding tie the know with his now wife (also trains) and it was great to be there. Sucked I missed 8 buddies/training partners get promoted but oh well.

Roll into open mat today with another buddy (4 stripe brown) who was at the wedding with us and we are congratulating people who got their belts/rolling as normal. I'm 4-5 rounds in and helping a white/blue belt with arm triangles and hear "hey everyone circle up for a minute"....Me - Hmm this is odd, he never does this at open mat and then I see it 2 black belts in his hand

He had told everyone "I understand some people will miss this for the wedding but they will be up for March" so it was a surprise for me which was nice. I've been training 7 1/2 years with Danny Alvarez (3rd degree as of yesterday) black belt. I have some great training partners there, and in my other gyms I train at (regularly train at 3 academy's since I moved).

If anyone has any questions I guess, ask and I'll do my best to answer. Still kind of not sure how I feel about all this.

congrats!

Now you know all there is to know about jiujitsu and can never be defeated again!

Anyways, congratulations that's such a huge milestone. I hope to be there one day too.

wow, what a fast black belt!

Super impressed man!

7 1/2 years with him and another 6 months at another place is fast?

Only to slackers like me that expect to take closer to 10 or 12 years. But that's the price of shift work.

Now a days I think sub 10 years is pretty common for folks that train real regularly. One of my coaches was around 6 and the other 8 or 9 I think.

Congrats, Nate. I got "surprised" with my brown last week.

Oh hell yeah.

Congrats.

To the poster above, 8 years of busting your ass is not particularly unusual for black belch. 10-12 might be average but some guys catch on faster or work harder.

Damn, a bb from Alvarez is legit. Congrats, man. Alvarez actually looks looks like he's almost cracking a smile.

This is great man! Congratulations!

Wash that belt once so it shrinks. Then tie it and measure out like 25 cm on each end so you will pass the gi check. Cut it on the tag end to length. Pull the black fabric on the outside back a couple stitches. Cut the white core back there but don't cut the black part. Then fold the black part in like the rest of the belt, sew it shut with an overhand stitch, and you're good.

Congrats again!

Congratch on your black beltch. Keep training and porra

Congratulations!
I train regularly but 8 years is not even a possibility for me.
After 4.5 I got recently got Purple, expect 3 years to Brown, then 3 years to Black.

Some people got it (you), some people don't (me)

Congrats, Nate. I got "surprised" with my brown last week.
Awesome man, what was the surprise?

Damn, a bb from Alvarez is legit. Congrats, man. Alvarez actually looks looks like he's almost cracking a smile.
I guess he's kinda legit, 3rd degree now, won masters worlds a few times, pans a few times, Euro's, no gi worlds. He is alright I guess.

He smiles, just not on camera usually.
Bro can we still go out on Saturday nights?
F yeah...Shepler will be down in January, I'll come down fo sho.
Well ... there is content and topics over there...here there were a bunch of troll threads I got bored with. Sherdog is still # 1 in my old school book.
This is great man! Congratulations!

Wash that belt once so it shrinks. Then tie it and measure out like 25 cm on each end so you will pass the gi check. Cut it on the tag end to length. Pull the black fabric on the outside back a couple stitches. Cut the white core back there but don't cut the black part. Then fold the black part in like the rest of the belt, sew it shut with an overhand stitch, and you're good.

Congrats again!
I swapped belts after this pic as he grabbed the wrong one off the shelf. Have a normal one now! After he tied it on I said "I mean I know I'm not a medium heavy but I ain't THAT big coach"
Congratch on your black beltch. Keep training and porra
Open mat at lunch today!

Back