News Blachowicz huge interview

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Translated from: https://sport.tvp.pl/49593694/jan-b...-pas-ufc-bedzie-niczym-olimpijski-medal-wideo

ADDED CLIFFS:
  • will encourage his son to do sports
  • ignores online haters and wise guys
  • likes Las Vegas more but Abu Dhabi is better for taxes
  • won't panic wrestle against Dom
  • camp was good, had plenty of time
  • visualizing is an important tool in preparation for a fight
  • still wants to face Jones, even at HW

- We are in the Warsaw Athletics Center, with me is Jan Błachowicz - the future UFC light heavyweight champion?
- It will turn out - let it be so! I strongly believe in it.

- I can't help but start with this topic - 2020 gives everyone a hard time, but for you it may be the best year in your life! Not only will you fight for the belt, but you have recently announced that you will become a father.
- Let's not praise the day before sunset ... but everything indicates that it will be very successful. In fact, this year is a hard time for everyone - me too - but the ending could be really successful. It all depends on me and I think it will be a plus.

- Is that some extra motivation for you?
- For sure! Most of all, it gave me energy. I am happy and I would like to have something to boast about [to my child] in the future. It is definitely not an additional pressure, but a motivation.

- It's a distant perspective and I know you don't like to look ahead ... but I'm curious if you'll encourage your son to train martial arts?
- I will definitely encourage him to move and train any sport - not necessarily martial arts. He will do what he wants and what makes him happy. But I will try to make this an important part of his life.

- Let's move on to the fight for the light heavyweight belt with Dominick Reyes. You can think of a career in security services, because you are very good at keeping secrets! We talked two weeks ago, I tried to ask something, but you didn't reveal anything. Since when did you know about the fight with Dominick Reyes and what was the reaction to the later information that it will be a fight for the undisputed belt?
- I knew about three, three and a half weeks ago. I don't know when exactly ... but definitely before our interview. But then I couldn't say anything. I knew from the beginning that it would be a duel for a interim belt, and over time it turned out to be a full title. I am very happy, above all, that this belt is at stake with a good opponent. I've been working for it all my life and finally there is a chance to make this dream come true.

- Does this situation mean more to you because your fiancée, Dorota, is your manager? She once got a lot of hate for how your career was conducted, and I wonder if that was extra pleasant to her. Or maybe you did not pay any attention to the comments on the Internet?
- I don't really read what is happening in the comments. Not all, but many of these people have so-called "omniscience" about all subjects. They don't know what is going on, they don't know the backstage of these talks and negotiations, but they still have their opinion. That's why I didn't pay attention to it. I know Dorota read these comments and it hurt her. I told her, "believe me, once it becomes clear we got this fight, there will still be bad comments." Some have gone so far with their opinions that they cannot suddenly admit their mistakes. It happened, but the most important thing for us is that we have this fight. I'm happy with her work because she's doing a great job. We talked about it many times. If something did not suit me, we would part in terms of business. And since she does it very well, we keep working - which results in a fight for the belt.

- The fight will take place at UFC 253, although the location is still unknown. Las Vegas and Abu Dhabi are at stake. Colleagues asked where you prefer to fight because of the climate. I will ask from another side: Las Vegas means a small octagon with a diameter of 25 feet. In Abu Dhabi, it would be a classic 30-foot octagon. Does it matter to you? I think Reyes might be faster than you, but he'll definitely be weaker and won't be able to avoid clinches, short circuits and your counterattacks in a small cage.
- You know what ... I didn't think about it. These are secondary things and I want to be ready for any scenario. I want to be as prepared as possible and impose my style so that I can win wherever I go. These are details that I don't want to focus on so as not to distract me. If I am prepared and in perfect shape on this day, it does not matter whether it will be a smaller or a larger frame - I will simply win this fight.

- So you prefer the general feel of the place? You know Vegas, you like it and would rather fight there?
- Exactly. Although you know… Abu Dhabi has a better tax situation! I think I would prefer Las Vegas, but as I say: if it's Fight Island in Abu Dhabi, that's also great. I'll see something new.

- Dominick Reyes is a rival coming from kickboxing. He works great on his feet, he is very fast. What kind of sparring partners do you prepare for the fight and will you try to bring him to the ground, where your advantage would be significant?
- Yeah, but it should also be noted that Dominick defends takedowns very well and even if he is knocked down, he stands up very quickly - it's something that will have to be dealt with. If there is an opportunity to take him down, I will definitely take it… but I won't panic wrestle. It seems to me that if I stand up I am also able to threaten him and even knock him out. I have many sparring partners who simulate his movement and look similar to Reyes. We try to prepare for every combat scenario.

- You don't have a full camp, eight or ten weeks. Instead, only six. Enough?
- It must be enough. We both have the same time. Anyway, I was in training practically all the time. It's not that I found out about the fight and went to the mat. Earlier, I helped my colleagues prepare for their fights. It is good and it will get even better.

- You often say that you visualize your fights. You see a specific resolution in a specific round - which works often. Is this one of the steps in preparing for take-off for you?
- It seems to me that it is just as important an element of preparation as physical, conditioning, technical training and so on. You have to be mentally ready. If you lose a fight in your head, same will happen in the octagon. Therefore, I do not forget about it - visualization and mental training are also very important to me.

- Then are you visualizing yourself with a belt on your hips or is it just scenarios during the fight?
- Just what will happen in the cage. When I have a belt, I know what I'm going to do! I don't have to worry about that. I only visualize the scenarios in the octagon that can happen.

- Then what do you plan for this fight? Which round, what solution?
- You know what ... I'm assuming three scenarios: decision, knockout or sub. The most important thing now is the result and that it should be in my favor.

- When I talked to Joanna Jedrzejczyk last year, who had a longer break between starts, she told me that such situations were also good. When you prepare from fight to fight, it is always about preparing for your opponent and there is no time to develop. But when you have some of this time, you can devote it to training certain elements. Now you've had time - somewhat limited by the pandemic, of course - when you didn't know who and when you were going to fight. Did you focus on any specific areas then?
- I was focusing on things for which I normally don't have time. New techniques, unusual techniques, remembering some basics ... That's why I don't think it was a waste of time - I used the period of "retraining" very well and it will pay dividends in the fight against Dominick.

- Who deals with figuring out the rival? Do you take an active part in it or do you rely on trainers?
- Mainly trainers do it. Of course, I also watch opponents' fights, but I do not break them down into parts. I know some people do that, but I think every fight is different and everyone may behave differently than in the previous bouts. But the fact is - we sit down with the coaches, watch the previous performances and make a plan ... not forgetting that something completely different than expected may happen.

- You said a long time ago that Jon Jones is starting to feel the contenders breathing down his neck. We spoke a year, two years ago and you said you were getting closer to him. Is his decision to drop the belt and go to heavyweight a proof of that?
- I do not know. I also understand his point of view - he has been fighting in light heavyweight for so long, so he might want something new. He will probably earn more in heavyweight, so I understand him. It does not change the fact that we will meet again one day - I strongly believe in it.

- Light heavyweight?
- Does not matter. Light heavyweight, heavy weight… it doesn't matter. I believe we will meet.

Last edited:
I read that as if he had a son who's called Dom Jon and is a bit camp.

Not long enough.
tenor.gif

Jan's plugged along and due to weird circumstances and timing finds himself with a real shot at the belt at age 37. This is his Rocky moment. It'd be weird seeing his as champ after he went 1-4 just a few years back. He's since avenged 2 of those losses and is on a good streak so I'm rooting for him.

Jan's plugged along and due to weird circumstances and timing finds himself with a real shot at the belt at age 37. This is his Rocky moment. It'd be weird seeing his as champ after he went 1-4 just a few years back. He's since avenged 2 of those losses and is on a good streak so I'm rooting for him.
He deserves the TS, which is a refreshing thing to say about the UFC title shots these days...

He deserves the TS, which is a refreshing thing to say about the UFC title shots these days...

Eh I think most people deserve em still honestly.

HW - next will be Jones or Ngannou, both deserve it

LHW - both guys deserve it

MW - Costa deserves it

WW - Burns shoulda already got it so obviously he's deserving

LW - Gaetje is the only logical option and hes getting it

FW, BW, and FLY idk who's up next but theres plenty of deserving folks right there

Eh I think most people deserve em still honestly.

HW - next will be Jones or Ngannou, both deserve it

LHW - both guys deserve it

MW - Costa deserves it

WW - Burns shoulda already got it so obviously he's deserving

LW - Gaetje is the only logical option and hes getting it

FW, BW, and FLY idk who's up next but theres plenty of deserving folks right there
ATM it looks fine, I was thinking about the likes of Romero, Cruz and Aldo who got title shots coming off loses.

Too much trouble for Blachowicz, God bless you, but I can't read it.

Take my like for the work.

Here:
upload_2020-9-3_9-35-44.jpeg
Marcel Proust would be impressed
I forgot about Sherdog's ADD problem.
OK, here's some cliffs then:
  • Jan will encourage his son to do sports
  • ignores haters
  • likes Las Vegas more but Abu Dhabi is better for taxes
  • won't panic wrestle against Dom
  • camp was good, had plenty of time
  • visualizing is an important tool in preparation for a fight
  • still wants to face Jones, even at HW

Take my like for the work.
Thanks for the like but I'm starting to wonder if Blachowicz even has any fans... this is the second instance when I've invested my time to translate a long interview with him (or his manager) and there is barely any interest from Sherdoggers.

Srsly, looking for Blachowicz fans!
@PudzianFighter ?
@Koniradi98 ?
@Polish Machine ?
@PolishHeadlock2 ?
@KazDibiase ?
@DS66 ?
@Karelinator ?
@CC27 ?

I have a feeling he will beat Reyes, Jan has been looking really good for ages and I'm not convinced Reyes is this monster either, got beat by Volkan and did well in Jones fight and it was close but still lost. Jan can win and I think he might too. He has very heavy hands and his TDD has improved soooooooooooo much over the years.

I have a feeling he will beat Reyes, Jan has been looking really good for ages and I'm not convinced Reyes is this monster either, got beat by Volkan and did well in Jones fight and it was close but still lost. Jan can win and I think he might too. He has very heavy hands and his TDD has improved soooooooooooo much over the years.
Here's hoping that you're right! :)
Would make a great Rocky moment / Cinderella story.

ATM it looks fine, I was thinking about the likes of Romero, Cruz and Aldo who got title shots coming off loses.

Ah okay well ya those were suspect but the vast majority are either first or second most deserving unless its a late replacement or something

Thanks for the like but I'm starting to wonder if Blachowicz even has any fans... this is the second instance when I've invested my time to translate a long interview with him (or his manager) and there is barely any interest from Sherdoggers.

Srsly, looking for Blachowicz fans!
@PudzianFighter ?
@Koniradi98 ?
@Polish Machine ?
@PolishHeadlock2 ?
@KazDibiase ?
@DS66 ?
@Karelinator ?
@CC27 ?
Thanks for the hard work dude.

I like watching him fight and love his underdog rise to title shot at 205. Rooting for him hard vs Reyes. Having said that... he's not exactly the most interesting personality. I mean look at his answers! "I'm assuming three scenarios: decision, knockout or sub". Haha but I do appreciate the translation Sherbro.

TS, what’s “huge” about it?

Back