BJJScout, Cormier/Jones grappling breakdown please

Stop right there. You didn't watch the fight.

Picture1_zps59b2d099.jpg

Did that even count? I remember Cormier never actually securing the takedown.

Cormier is a clinch wrestler; he rarely shoots from outside. What Jones did very well was using wrist control and posting on Cormier's shoulders with his free arm when Cormier managed to dig an underhook. When Cormier got double unders, Jones used his overhooks to block the hips and moved backwards into the cage to take away Cormier's options.

I aIso suspect Cormier was wary of the footsweep which lead to him not circling off the cage as soon as he should have.

Beyond that, Jones had a good strategy to use his size to wear Cormier down, in the vein of Couture. The clinch work was similar to what he did to Glover, and it took it's toll.

He has to use more strength then Jones to compensate for the fact he is shorter.

i can tell you what dc did wrong in a few lines; he was crazy to try and outbox someone with such a huge reach advantage, take down > ground and pound was his best chance to win, and he didint try until he was already spent.

This is absurd.

As as shorter Thai boxer, I can attest that it's perfectly possible to outbox someone with a longer reach than you. ALL of my training partners and ammy opponents had a longer reach. If I stood on the outside, then I would get merked. I just had to get inside.

DC actually did everything right the first couple rounds. JJ just wore him down. Those shots (some of those kicks and knees were vicious) to the body coupled with DC not being tested in the later rounds to that level before are the reason for JJ's late surge. DC would have gassed A LOT sooner if he spent the entire fight trying to take him down. Despite DC's wrestling acumen, Bones would not go down easy (and didn't).

This is absurd.

As as shorter Thai boxer, I can attest that it's perfectly possible to outbox someone with a longer reach than you. ALL of my training partners and ammy opponents had a longer reach. If I stood on the outside, then I would get merked. I just had to get inside.

DC actually did everything right the first couple rounds. JJ just wore him down. Those shots (some of those kicks and knees were vicious) to the body coupled with DC not being tested in the later rounds to that level before are the reason for JJ's late surge. DC would have gassed A LOT sooner if he spent the entire fight trying to take him down. Despite DC's wrestling acumen, Bones would not go down easy (and didn't).

'just wore him down', meaning, he was getting out struck.

DC's problem is that he believed all the retarded shit he read on the sherdog forums

hurr durr, Jones has no head movement, his foot work is bad, he has no striking power. just box him derp.

Everyone falls for that BS and everyone gets jacked the f--k up in the clinch by this guy. Im SO tired of everybodys' go to strategy being 'step into Capt Meatgrinder and hope i dont get torn up like all those other guys.

If clinch fighting didnt work for Shogun, Rashad, Rampage or Gus, why in God's name would you think YOU managed to figure it out. The only thing dumber than the 'close the gap and dirty box' strategy are the morons who think throwing lots of leg kicks at the guy who tends to catch, trip, and hellbow kickers is a viable idea.

such idiocy posted here, the main problem cormier had was closing that distance, he only managed to do so by eating many many shots on the way which take a toll and also it's tricky for an ex heavyweight to go 5 rounds against a lhw who has many 5 round fights, the only time jones took cormier down was when cormier got tired and sloppy against the cage, also it's insane how strong Jones is, I was surprised in the chael fight how he took down a much much better wrestler purely by muscling him up against the fence

'just wore him down', meaning, he was getting out struck.

They were literally even in striking going into the third.

When DC was on the inside, he was winning the striking. When Bones was on the outside, he was winning the striking.

What made the difference was that Bones' kicks and knees to the body were slowly sapping DC's cardio, whereas DC was going for KO headshots.

When DC was on the inside, he was winning the striking. When Bones was on the outside, he was winning the striking.

What made the difference was that Bones' kicks and knees to the body were slowly sapping DC's cardio, whereas DC was going for KO headshots.

Jones said after the fight he was using the rope a dope. Just wanted to wait to the 4th and 5th to grind on DC and break him. Don't think he broke DC just feel AKA didn't prepare for Jones properly.

Still love you DC!

Jones said after the fight he was using the rope a dope. Just wanted to wait to the 4th and 5th to grind on DC and break him. Don't think he broke DC just feel AKA didn't prepare for Jones properly.

Still love you DC!

Cool. He confirmed my thoughts.

the striking being even early is misleading considering jones was pacing himself.

even still jones was landing more effective hits in the clinch.

throughout the course of the fight you could see jones considered dcs wrestling a bigger concern. cormier was always the one backing jones up even in the late rounds. dc was probably counting on this fact, that jones would be worried about the take down (and not worried himself about being taken down), and so focused more on striking in training.

well, it turns out the jackson camp was right to consider his stand up the lesser threat, he came in looking to bang, and still got outbanged.

Jones is the King of the Grind. Very simple. Made DC look like he just ran a marathon.

More than a few times, Cormier looked like he was trying to run the pipe to set up the high crotch when Jones defended. The exact same set up that he used on Barnett when he air mailed him. Jones looked sweaty and slippery, and defended well on top of that.

Still love you DC!

I'm the biggest DC fan and maybe a bigger Jones hater, but Jones absolutely broke DC! So much so that winning the fight was mentally out of reach and all he was trying g to do was get a small mental victory of a takedown. Stopped trying to win the war and just wanted one small victory in battle.

I'm the biggest DC fan and maybe a bigger Jones hater, but Jones absolutely broke DC! So much so that winning the fight was mentally out of reach and all he was trying g to do was get a small mental victory of a takedown. Stopped trying to win the war and just wanted one small victory in battle.

That was my thought exactly as I watched it. He knew he was done, he wanted to prove he could take him down. Which he could, just couldn't keep him down.

Experience and youth won Jones the fight.

Back