BJJScout, Cormier/Jones grappling breakdown please

i can tell you what dc did wrong in a few lines; he was crazy to try and outbox someone with such a huge reach advantage, take down > ground and pound was his best chance to win, and he didint try until he was already spent.

139555100958.jpg

utterly disappointed...

literally 0 takedowns wtffffffffffffff ... from the previously 4th best wrestler in the world!

DC should have just covered up and charged in for the clinch, even if it meant eating a couple of shots (or an eye poke).

I learnt that in MMA you always should learn a base the good way, not everything mixed but that base let

i can tell you what dc did wrong in a few lines; he was crazy to try and outbox someone with such a huge reach advantage, take down > ground and pound was his best chance to win, and he didint try until he was already spent.

His plan was working fine. He did more with his hands than he did with his wrestling.

He did more with his hands than he did with his wrestling.

obviously, because his game plan coming in was to box, so obviously he trained accordingly to box, and obviously, it was ultimately the wrong strategy.

I kinda agree here, I think DC would do things different if he had the chance. Jones somewhat did what DC does to people as well -grinds on them against the cage then takes them down.

I'm big fan of DC and I hope he gets one more crack at Jones. I believe DC will make the adjustments.

You could see Jones gained confidence in the championship rounds. I respect his abilities and I know he's the best, but somebody will give him the dick.

obviously, because his game plan coming in was to box, so obviously he trained accordingly to box, and obviously, it was ultimately the wrong strategy.

I don't think his game plan was to box, I think his game plan was to strike his way into the clinch and then either take Jones down from there or rough him up with dirty boxing. Cormier spent a lot of time in the clinch with Jones up against the cage but was simply unable to take him down. The lone exception was the high crotch he hit late in the fight, from which Jones immediately recovered and got back up to his feet. Cormier's game plan was fine IMO, Jones was just too good.

The strategy was fine until he gassed early in the 3rd.

I don't think his game plan was to box, I think his game plan was to strike his way into the clinch and then either take Jones down from there or rough him up with dirty boxing. Cormier spent a lot of time in the clinch with Jones up against the cage but was simply unable to take him down. The lone exception was the high crotch he hit late in the fight, from which Jones immediately recovered and got back up to his feet. Cormier's game plan was fine IMO, Jones was just too good.

there were alot of times in the early rounds that they got into a clinch, but it was cormier who broke most of them. i did not get the sense at all that he was in a hurry to get it on the ground, that only came in the championship rounds, when it was already too late.

and yeah, he was holding his own, the undefeated number one contender isint some chump on his feet, but it was still a losing proposition. if cormier ever beats bones, it wont be because he out boxes him.

there were alot of times in the early rounds that they got into a clinch, but it was cormier who broke most of them.

and yeah, he was holding his own, the undefeated number one contender isint some chump on his feet, but it was still a losing proposition. if cormier ever beats bones, it wont be because he out boxes him.

Well Jones was giving as good as he got from the clinch, so sometimes Cormier was forced to reset. I'm sure Cormier was hoping to control the fight from that range but for the most part it just didn't happen.

I think Dc realized that Jon was stronger in the clinch so he changed his gameplay to more of a boxing at range strategy. The other thing Jon did was force Dc to fight at his pace. Dc usually controls the tempo of the fight and Jon forced him to fight at Jon's tempo. Great fight

Cormier was out boxing Jon, but got beat at TDs. Trying harder for a TD would have been even worse.

Jon is an absolute nightmare to try to take down, and he is very good at escaping back to his feet. Cormier had the correct strategy, he just didn't win ... Narrowly lost a great fight, even though I had it scored 49-46 against him, the only round he decisively lost was the fourth, and that because he got out wrestled so badly. Not outstruck.

Cormier's boxing was better than Jones I thought. But his corner was terrible, giving him contradictory instructions, not calming him down between rounds... I was really hoping for better.

So bummed!!!

Not sure where the head movement DC was talking about was. He got out grappled standing. Jones was just to big, to strong and to skilled. He literally locked up and pushed DC back into the cage via clinch. Over and over. DC could not get his back off the cage! Jones locked up the hand fighting in the clinch and dominated.

Oh and he mentally broke DC which sucks!

My life sucks today!!!!!!!!!

Cormier was out boxing Jon, but got beat at TDs. Trying harder for a TD would have been even worse.

Jon is an absolute nightmare to try to take down, and he is very good at escaping back to his feet. Cormier had the correct strategy, he just didn't win ... Narrowly lost a great fight, even though I had it scored 49-46 against him, the only round he decisively lost was the fourth, and that because he got out wrestled so badly. Not outstruck.

That was pretty much my take on it. Jones was able to adjust extremely well throughout the fight to the point where DC was totally ineffective in the later rounds even though he had been having dirty boxing success early. I was really hoping for a DC win but Jones fought a very, very smart fight. I was surprised that DC didn't do more to cut him off and force him into the fence, but I'm sure he was trying to and just couldn't.

Back