BJJ 'wizards' that can't take a fight to the ground

does kron really think he won that fight?
This seems to be the mentality of a lot of fighters that kept moving forward during a fight.

I think he believes he never moved back, kept moving forward was never afraid to move forward no matter what the opposition threw at him. Where as in Kron's eyes Cub just hit and run like a 'coward' and was too afraid to stand with him or go to the ground with him. In his eyes if Cub was such a good fighter why did he need to constantly run? He believes that going after the opposition should warrant a win.

Now before you start praising Cub's game plan as being intelligent. Nick Diaz said almost exactly the same thing when he fought Carlos Condit a few years back. All Carlos did was hit and run, would not stand anywhere near him (this strategy seems to be a staple of the Jackson/Winklejohn/Zahabi camps). Anyhow it pissed Nick off so much, that he said Carlos just fought like a complete pussy. Nick Diaz also thought he won, believing how can a guy who ran for 25 minutes be given the nod? I think he might be right here. Now that pussy strategy got Carlos Condit a title shot against GSP.

A poster on another thread had pointed out:

Yes, we know all this about the gracies now more or less but it's kind of a double edged sword where the gracies are teachers and the second they bring in other coaches to train them, they immediately passively admit that Jiu-Jitsu isn't enough. I kinda see it that way now as far as the issues with Gracie's/Gracie style fighters.

PS: I apologise if that made no sense, I'm half a sleep and decided it would still be a good idea to get incredibly stoned at 3am
The irony is that so many want to trash the Gracies but don't understand or "passively admit" that none of this would exist without them. Maybe we would have some sort of open fight competion but no matter what era, their style would dominate and then revolutionize the sport, just like it did in the 90's. The only way to have any type of success in MMA is to know at least some Jiu Jitsu but fighters today wouldn't know that if the early fights weren't dominated by the Gracies.

Askren
359e1i.gif

giphy.gif

Kron's problem was he would just rush forward no matter what. His striking is fine, but he just kept running forward no matter what, which made him run into punches. Instead of forcing it, he should have just stopped and let Cub come to him.

Kron should do like Ryan Hall or Royce Gracie (in his 3rd fight with Shamrock) and sit back throwing kicks at range. People either sit back eating kicks or they rush you and you can clinch/takedown to get where you want anyway.

maybe they just need to put on their robe and hat

Rodolfo seems to have been taking wrestling a bit more seriously, hopefully he'll do better.

Honestly any BJJ player who's ever seen Augusto Mendes against anyone decent should see the need to work their wrestling.

Kron landed punches that slightly wobbled Cub

he had octagon control, moving forward, while Cub was passive

i dont think Kron won, but i see the argument

The irony is that so many want to trash the Gracies but don't understand or "passively admit" that none of this would exist without them. Maybe we would have some sort of open fight competion but no matter what era, their style would dominate and then revolutionize the sport, just like it did in the 90's. The only way to have any type of success in MMA is to know at least some Jiu Jitsu but fighters today wouldn't know that if the early fights weren't dominated by the Gracies.

I absolutely agree good sir. The Gracie's are pioneers and MMA royalty and are (in my opinion) the ones who introduced the ground aspect in MMA or at the very least the ones who made it popular.

Kron's problem was he would just rush forward no matter what. His striking is fine, but he just kept running forward no matter what, which made him run into punches. Instead of forcing it, he should have just stopped and let Cub come to him.

Kron should do like Ryan Hall or Royce Gracie (in his 3rd fight with Shamrock) and sit back throwing kicks at range. People either sit back eating kicks or they rush you and you can clinch/takedown to get where you want anyway.
Good analysis. Exact same thing that John Kavanagh (Conor.s coach) said to Mcnuggets. Don't chase him, let him come to you and the right will be there. The problem in that instance was when Conor tried not to go forward and only counter (like in the 3rd round) he got out boxed in the standup. Hell even slapped.

Kron is new to MMA. Not just 6 pro MMA fights, but 6 MMA fights PERIOD. He has done VERY well being a master of one martial art, and a novice in all others. He will improve his other MMA skills as time goes on, naturally. Look how well Jacare did, KOing Brunson, Vitor Belfort, and Weidman. Demian Maia rose to near-champ status because so many of his opponents could not escape his take-downs.

Kron will only get better if he focuses on MMA.

Kron landed punches that slightly wobbled Cub

he had octagon control, moving forward, while Cub was passive

i dont think Kron won, but i see the argument
Cub threw nearly 300 strikes in the fight and landed over 130. In what world is that passive? Moving forward shouldn't mean shit when that's exactly what your opponent wants you to do and has you walking into strikes the entire night

BJJ is quickly becoming the least useful art in the repertoire of a mixed martial artist.

people don't seem to understand the difference between nogi BJJ and gi BJJ

a lot of the gracies have only trained a ton in the gi.If you look at Kron most of his BJJ matches are gi matches.

Ortega is a bad example, he can finish a fight on the feet and doesn’t need takedowns to secure a submission.

It was cringe af to see Kron try to pull guard with no luck. Of all the possible ways to initiate a ground fight, this is quite possibly the worst. Cub wasn't having any of it either.

I've seen a few people suggest that Kron *wanted* to keep the fight standing to "prove a point" about his striking, or "get more cage time", or some such nonsense.

Kron didn't take the fight to the ground because he couldn't. Point blank.
Kron has poor wrestling, and was getting hurt by those body shots which slowed his tempo down tremendously. I agree with you.

The blanket-guy who fought Uriah like a month ago.

Luke Rockhold
<DCrying>

i genuinely believe rockhold has one of the best ground games in MMA, you'd think training with DC, cain and khabib would improve his ability to get it down there but...

if luke gets on top of you the fight is pretty much over, he will pound you out, sub you, or beat the absolute shit out of you and if you survive you're gonna be fucked the next round. his top game is absolutely terrifying.

it's hard being a huge rockhold fan lol.

It was cringe af to see Kron try to pull guard with no luck. Of all the possible ways to initiate a ground fight, this is quite possibly the worst. Cub wasn't having any of it either.

He probably drilled the "defense" for that a few minutes beforehand.

Back